Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looper Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper Pictures

The following pictures are examples of the highlights of Bruce Summers' Looper experiences.

The picture of the Butts hydro running at the 1988 Nat'ls was my first "pickle fork" and it ran very well. The picture at the '89 Nat'ls was a Pugh hydro which also ran very well.

The picture of the runabouts at the '89 Nat'ls was entering the first turn. This was Wayne Walgrave's "F" runabout. It ran well but was not competive with the smaller boats and Konig engines. Terry Klemm came between Howard Anderson and me so fast that it seemed like the anchor was dragging.

The picture of the cylinder block is the Looper Six that I built from two "D" Looper blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 04-02-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default V-71 DePue Nationals

Wow--a rookie deck rider! That guy has lots of guts. Did he race his own boats too?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default deck riders......

Rookie rider...? Sometimes that is the only way they can get a rider- someone who hasn't seen them go! My daughter rode with Jim Kirts in maybe 1999 at the Nationals. I believe that it was the last time that Jim Ran 1100ccR. She was 17 because she had run her last race in JPRO and then ran in 1100ccR. They won the final heat but finished 2nd to the Thirlby brothers that year. The top 1100ccR boats are REALLY FAST!

Post Thanks / Like

I added a bit of color to your post Bruce with a pic under your name.

Whatcha' Think?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck Riders

Peter C. put it right on. You get a deck rider from where ever you can. The rookie rider in the pic has two strikes against him. He is 50+ and polish. Joke! He bought the F run. after Iquit in 90. He and his buddy put my 6 loop together for me and for that he got a boat ride, his boat + my engine. He later bought the looper and ran with his lady friend as deck rider. I rode deck on John Toprahanian F with Jay Root driving. Took two rides to figure out that Iwant the throttle and steering wheel in my hand when I go into the first turn. That boat you actually crawled out on the deck in the turns, SCARY.
    Jeff, Thanks for adding the pic.

BOAT RACING:
    A disease for which there is no cure.

Bruce Summers
    V-71

oldalkydriver

Default Jay Root & Rider

I never got to ride with Jay, but I rode with a few Torprahanians other drivers. You think it was SCAREY with Jay driving, I rode a couple of test times with George Mays! I've never seen any driver including; Greg Spencer, Glen Campbell, Bob Jackson, Al Brooks and even Ralph Donald drive into a corner like George. As Ron Hill is so fawnd of saying the trottle is a brake. George never learned how to use it. He just pointed the boat where he thought should go, and went!

However here is a picture of Jay Root at Bakersfield. I don't know who is riding. Could be Fast Freddy?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck Riders

I'm like you Bruce. I want the throtte & the steering wheel. I had the good fortune of riding deck once--with none other than Charlie Bailey. I don't remember whether Craig Lawrence or Troy Dunn was supposed to ride,but something happened and I got drafted. You know going in that Charlie would start on the inside, and any hole that opened up was his.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom picture.....

Bottom picture is Bruce driving the famous DeSilva "Miss Laurie"? I remember Steve Litzell running it when it was an old boat. the history of that boat would be interesting......

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Toprahanian's F Runabout....

It ain't a Quincy Looper...but

Are you sure that is Jay Root at the wheel??? I don't think that is Fast Riddy riding, as it looks like a Hill Jacket and some "Strange" helmet...Also, doesn't look like Freddy's arms....But, I have no idea who it is....

oldalkydriver

Default Toprahanian's F Runabout

Positive that is Jay Root driving. Craig Spencer and him were the only two that sat like "Tommy Ingalls", straight up! Craig never drove the De Silva.

Bottom picture is George Mays driving the De Silva with his normal deck rider. Mind you I say normal as in steady, not as in a psychiatric state of mind. You had to be a little crazy to trust someone else with your well being to go out on a deck with no control over what happens.

I believe the C-190 was either Ken Schmidt or James Schonenfelt (C-57) driving with deck rider from C-207.

I can't remember weather John had two De Silva's, or just the one and re-worked it. He told me once that he had problems with one used De Silva (he was thrifty, hence the name tighterhanian). Can't remember. I'll have to try and get a hold of Jay. I'm leaning towards the two boat therory as the grains are really different on the later one. I was only able to drive it twice, once in Alexandria, LA 1976. The same year that John had five different drivers at one race. Once at Bakersfield.

Thread Information