Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looper Pictures

bill boyes

C190 sure like like my old DeSilva D runabout
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ken Schmidt...

Rich kid from Newport...Had a DeSilva Bull Nose and Quincy Cross Flow "D", as I recall...Nice guy, hung with several from Newport, Chric Buckley,....for one...

As I recall, Kenny was shot and killed by the Security Guard at his trailer park in Mexico. Kenny waved at the guard, who knew him and drove by, the guard pulled his pistol and shot him dead....

That is George May (You keep adding an S...it is May, but seems, at one time he went by Mays???? Did he shorten it to May when Ted May started racing??).

I seem to recall two DeSilva Runabouts, ask Tim Weber to ask Ralph DeSilva....as they see each other often.

Whos is that thin guy standing next to Billy Boyes's DU???

bill boyes

I was the blunt of fat jokes even then,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper pics-2 man F

Here is a pic of John T,s boat that I rode in. It has Johns Yamarude engine. I dont know when he built the first one but this pic was in 70 or 71. Jay Root drove and we fin. up 4or 5th.

Bruce Summers
    V-71
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oldalkydriver

Default Toprahanian's 'YamaRude'

John built his first YamaRude sometime late '68 or early '69. Steve Wahlen was the man who talked John into trying them. If I remember correctly, the cyclinders came from a 250 Yamaha. Steve was having one built by John also. I can't remember if he ever raced it or not.

I got to test the yamarude a couple times in late '69 at Blythe. Thing could sure accelerate. I can remember coming out of a corner somewhere between 45 - 50 mph and squeeze the throttle and before I could get my arms stretched and lite butt back, we hit 75 in a side by side! Quite a feit for me as the fastest I'd been was a PR running 68 or 69.

Ron, the reason I keep adding an s to George's name is he owned Mays Cafe on Broadway between 10th & 11th if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

While listing F Runabout drivers of the past, let's not forget Bill Fales. I used to ride deck for Jim Schoch and rode with Wayne Walgrave. Would have loved to have ridden with Bruce, but he never asked me.
    One night at dinner in DePue I was setting around the table with about 6 or 8 deck riders.
    One of these guys had too many Bud Lites and was bragging about what he was going to do tomorrow.
    Someone else said " Yeah we know, You're going to hold your ears when Bill Fales blows past you just like the rest of us".
    Sure enough that's what happened.
    Have you ever ridden up Bill's rooster tail? I have, it was a scary situation!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which way did you come back down?

Gene--When did you ride deck for Wayne Walgrave. I don't have many pictures of Jim driving, but I may have some of you riding with Wayne. Two man F runabout always make for great pictures. I have the utmost respect for the deck riders. I can't imagine going up a roostertail and you don't have a throttle or anything to hold on to or control.

The first time Andy Weller rode deck for Charlie Bailey he had a grip outside the deck by the chines. When you ride with Charlie, it's a given that you will go into the first turn on the inside. That first corner Charlie and Rich Fuschlin were banging around a little, and Andy quickly found a place inside the cockpit to hang on to.

I only rode deck once when Andy wasn't around. Charlie was driving Roland Pruett's BT-11 Miss Pam. It was a great ride, and I'm glad I had the experience, but it was enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck riders........a different breed.

I agree with you, Wayne, even though my first experience was my last. I think it all depends on the pilot. I got to ride with Billy Seebold in Marshall's FRR at Lakeland back in the 60's and had an absolute blast riding behind him. I was the lightest in the pits closest to where they were pitted and wasn't running anything anytime soon. Billy was and is a master driver and the only part that really caused concern was when he said just hang on and have fun. I think after all these years, I would still want to ride in that runabout today. Adrenelin (sp) is a wonderful thing......................
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

I rode with Wayne at DePue in 1970 or 1971. His regular Deck Rider got sick and Wayne asked me to fill in. I about broke my neck saying yes.
    We were leading on the last lap and missed the turn bouy. By the time we got lined out, 2 of those "Kraut Eaters" got around us.
    I could already see my name in the record book, but that's life.
    We didn't win, but I can tell my grandkids at one time I was in first place at the nationals. Not everyone can say that!

Post Thanks / Like

To Wayne Baldwin,
    You asked how Jim and I came down off Bill Fales rooster tail. Right side up fortunately, but we sure lost position. I don't know if you have any pictures of me in your vast collection, after all; I was just a lowly pit man. Unfortunately, a broken water pipe in the den ruined virtually all my trophies and pictures. Sure would like some way to prove to the kids that the "Old Man" really did the things he claims.

Thread Information