Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Ouch! That story sounded painful. Glad you didn't get a serious infection, considering the nasty germs that must have been on THAT nail!

Hey! Is that little blonde tyke Sean McKean standing next to the gas can in the 4th photo???

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sean McKean

Good eye Val. Not 110% positive but that would be my bet.

Made it to the Doc Monday for a tetanus shot. The night before the races I took the recommended course of treatment to kill the pain. Looking around, you might have thought just about everyone had been nailed to the latrine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barbon Lake Corpus Christi, Texas

These photos were taken by my cousin John Lacey. It was about 4 months before I started buying cameras and lenses.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ray Hardy Pleasure Boat Collision

Wayne and Denny:

The final outcome on the deal with Ray hiting the pleasure boat was about 4-5 years after the incident, APBA or I guess the insurance carrier settled with the drunk on the boat. The settlement was not for damage to his boat when Ray hit it, but the damage incurred to his ankles and lower legs when he jumped down on to the front deck of Ray's hydro and punched through the top deck and lacerated his legs and ankles. I know because Ray called me with the comment "guess what those dumb SOB's did about the accident", and then related the settlement story. He had to sign the papers on the settlement and the amount seems to stick in my mind as approx. 5000.00 they gave the dummy. Ray loved the sport and the people in it, and after he passed away last summer, Eileen and I were contacted by his surviving daughters in Chicago, and asked to put his ashes in Lake DePue. Thanks to many of his friends from that time period he raced, he made a few more laps around Lake DePue, and even won a few heats. Almost won the 250 Hydro championsip as deck rider but an engine failure did him in. We also made a small deposit in Fort Buhlow lake in Alex in the fall. He was one of a kind like your Dad Wayne, and there will never be another like him.

On another subject Wayne, tell the story about the jet boat guy that used to pester you to race him at Barbon when you and your Dad were testing. That is a funny one.

Bill Van

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jet boat guy

I'm not sure this is the same one Bill Van, but there was one guy that kept wanting to race while we were testing our A hydro. (I think). Our A was probably running about 80 or a little better. He said his speedometer only went to 100 and he had it pegged. I don't really remember actually racing him, but I guess he hung out until we went back for another run, and I blew him away. We found out he had the pitot tube hung off the jet drive. If this isn't the right story, please tell the other one. Seems like I have forgotten a lot. BTW Bill Van, find Sam's thread on Your First Boat Race and tell us when you got started. Seems like you never told me before.

Wayne
    P.S. After that I will post some pictures of you. You snuck in and signed on when I wasn't paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jet boat guy

Correction Bill Van. This is all still fuzzy in my mind. I vaguely remember the story, but now that I think about it, it was Tim Butts that it happened to before he moved to Texas. I'm not sure of which story you recall. You'll have to refresh my memory.

Wayne

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a question for Wayne Baldwin

I saw a runabout in the last pic on post #10 with T*73 on it and was wondering if that may have been Cleabern Phelp's old boat? I asked the Phelp's about it and they said they couldnt tell but he thought that you may have ended up with his boat. Can you shed a little more light into the details of that boat for me? I drive Super E hydro and runabout for him now and he still carries the same numbers on his boats. Thanks in advance Dwayne Laramore Buna Tx.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleabern Phelps old boat

I don't think so Dwayne, but then again that was a long time ago. The A-B DeSilva on the far side was new from DeSilva via Bryan Marine. I can't remember if the C-D runabout that I think is the one you are referring to was new or used. If it was used, it probably came to us through Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch as well, but that would have been in 1966 or early 67. The first C I ran on it was a 2 cylinder Konig that was a vibratin' torque machine. We gave up on runabouts (no comment Steve) in 1969, and I don't remember where they ended up. What year did Phelps get rid of his runabout. As far as numbers go, are you saying that he has the number T-73? Maybe he got some of my old stuff.

Can you post some pictures of the rigs you are currently racing?

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Default 73-t

Thanks for those photos David. Love that number. Hope ya'll have some more stuff to post from Alex. Was Artie Lund there? Still curious about the T-73 runabout of Cleabern Phelps.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions of T-73

Wayne I got some info on Cleabern's racing career, he ran from 1956 to 1964. He had two Ashburn runabouts, a C/D boat and an F boat. He also had an F hydro that he ran a six cyl merc on, all three boats used T-73.According to the Phelps', Cleabern got out of racing about the time you got into it and just happened to pick his old number. When Cleabern got back into racing in 1990 he used his old number. Hope this helps clear things up. Thank you David for posting the pics of Cleabern's boats for me. Now I wish we could get a video or some pics of my "low altitude flying lessons". If anyone happens to have any please let me know. Dwayne Laramore T-73

Thread Information