Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

RogerH

Default Johnson RS

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Nice Roger
    even got the original postive engaging solenoid on the starter.
    We had quiet a few in OZ back in the day.
    Still got the harmonic balancer on the crank?
    Cheers

( I guess quite a few shared amongest 18 million is a relative term...)
    Powerabout,
    When I bought the motor it was in pices and came with two blocks. The original RS block does have the harmonic balancer and I decided not to run that block out of fear of destroying it (the crank). The block you see there is the next larger bore (think it was the 225hp version) and it doesn't have the harmonic balancer. This caused some problems I'm glad I found out early. The harmonic balancer on the RS crank is about 1.1" longer than the standard crank. This didn't allow enough engagement of the driveshaft in the RS lowerunit. I decided to have the gearcase splined and made two stub shafts that will work with either block. Chris Carson did the work, and said that was the hardest drive shaft he had ever worked on.
    I'm anxious to get the motor running and to drive the outfit. Headed for the APBA and other Vintage events with it. Went to the APBA driver's school to drive a SST120 to get ready. Great FUN!!! What a ride.

RogerH

Default RS Carb detail

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Wow Roger,

A very cool ride! I've never seen the RS unshrouded - looks like 1-3/16" venturi two bbls, or are they 1-3/8"? It's incredible this was built in the 70's. Must be a 100 mph ride - what fun!

Tim
    Tim, the carbs are 1-3/16. They were a unique P/N for the RS & CCC. They seemed very basic inside but have no idea if there were any "tricks" there.

I drove a Seebold SST120 in Dayton this year to get ready. Chris Fairchild warned me this vintage boat won't turn like the Seebold does. Love the 4G's in the turns! What a blast. Takes some getting used to, as it feels like it would barrel roll if it were a hydro.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wondered why the RS/CCC used horizontal twin barrels when after 20+ years of V4 work they worked out this was the way to go?
    ( cost??)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RogerH

Default Way to GO - V4

Powerabout,
    Just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking that the geometry given the narrower V required the carbs to be vertical vs horizontal. I'm not sure if the spacing of the cylinders on the opposite banks is less also. Note that the 90 degree V RS/CCC has a lot of distance between cylinders. I think they were trying to package the V4 as tight as possible in height and width.
    Roger
    PS: Cost reduction is a given - LOL! It's very hard (if not impossible) to do it right AND cheap.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Name those motors...

Perhaps there is one here that you don't have in your collection. I saw this for sale on Kijiji . Joe @905-964-6002. $40 each

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Coates View Post
    Perhaps there is one here that you don't have in your collection. I saw this for sale on Kijiji . Joe @905-964-6002. $40 each

Glenn
    The one standing up all the way to the left on the wall....Is that a 22 cubic inch OMC? If so where are you at and what will it cost to ship...
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

It appears there are three engines standing against the white back drop. The one to the left seems to be a 2 cyl Mercury from the early 50's. Could be a 7 1/2 hp merc rocket or hurricane or it could be a 10hp lightning, hurricane or super 10 hurricane. The engine in the center looks to be a small 2 cylinder OMC of 3 to 5 horsepower with a 360 degree swivel for fwd and reverse. That would put it in the very early 50's or maybe even 49. The engine to the right appears to be an OMC "big twin". It may be a "36" cu. in. because of the solid mounts below the swivel pin. Just a guess but I grew up in the 50's and these were the engines I grew up with. Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default My bad

I meant to say, standing on the right side of wall....The tower housing looks like a 22 cu in OMC, so does the recoil
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    I meant to say, standing on the right side of wall....The tower housing looks like a 22 cu in OMC, so does the recoil
    I think its a 22 also,the angle where the watered exhaust exits is the give away on the mid. Could be an 18, 20 or 25 of quite a few years.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wankel Rotary Engine

I thought the one in front of the Ford lawn tractor was the most interesting.

Thread Information