Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: desilva delta wing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default desilva delta wing

hello everyone, i'm new here but have been watching this site for awhile. i bought a boat from a neighbor that he said was a desilva delta wing about 6 years ago. i've been running it ever since with a yamato 202 just as a fun cottage racer. while refinishing the deck this spring i uncovered a section that said, driver jack kugler. does any one know some history about this boat? it also had a #v-100 on it. if i can figure out how to posta picture i will. but i can't even figure out how to add my avatar.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Jack is from Hamilton, Illinois and he won a National Championship with that boat in the mid 1980's. I only know of two of those designs. Todd Brinkman of Springfield, Illinois had the other. It was bigger and he ran a 500 and 700 cc motors on his. They were only legal for about a year as they were determined to not meet runabout rules.

Jack's son is still racing and won the Nationals this year in 350ccH. And, Ralph DeSilva is still building racing boats.

Post Thanks / Like

if you call Ralph De Silva @770/943/9494 and read him that # bcr 12868324 he will tell you about the boat
    David Bryan

bill boyes

Boat was built in December 1986 24th boat built in 1986. There was more than 2 built.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Wing" is probably the wrong word

Delta runabout, not to be confused with the Delta tunnel hull. I think these were allowed in runabout classes in Europe longer than the US ... until runabout racing disappeared in Europe

If you could get us a picture of the bottom from underneath sometime, that would be very educational.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11-03-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Something else that should be added ... these boats were designed by the DeSilva brothers in response to a number of bad accidents in PRO runabout classes. Their hope was that they would be safer than earlier designs.

Unfortunately, they were declared illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Delta Wing

There was a PRO version in Atlanta for a long time. I believe that it ran very well before being classified as illegal. I am not sure where this boat resides today, but I suspect in either Atlanta or Naples, FL.

Post Thanks / Like

David, I thought they were all PRO or Antique alky boats ... look at the transom of this one, it is built up

Post Thanks / Like

Default one on west coast

If I Remember Right, A Brat Cramer Had One In Napa ,ca..ran A 50 Cu In Evinruder On It..when He Pass Away..this Was About 1971-2 It Was At J&g Auto Marine...along With Other Race Boats In The Back Of The Shop...tryed To Talk Them Out Of It..because It Was Outlawed.
    But Had To Go To Veitman For A Year And When I Got Back All The Race Stuff Was Gone...i Wanted To Put A 44 Merc On It..and Make It A Sit Down Model...:d

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the transom was really short, maybe 13", but it had room and a space to add additional height. i found a friend who used to play with boat racing, but went into horses,(racing) and racing Pylon planes. this 202 mota was run maybe three times. he said you have a kneel down boat? you need this mota. so i gave him 500 bucks, rebuilt the carb put it on the desilva and it run great. i had to raise the transom, from the conversations i've had the 202 has a taller mid. i thought boat doesn't have a legal class, mota doesn't have a legal class,---------good combo for the cottage

Thread Information