Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: form e ignition

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default form e ignition

wondering about a tahatsu,?? style(3cyl/d class) ignition on a v-rude???... any help appreciated,, and where some cheep parts are appreciated... working on getting my v-rude going again after a long vaca of sorts from the raceing thing,,,cheyney,,,kilo holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tohatsu...

A simple, reliable igniton. But a 3cyl Tohatsu ign. might not be ideal for a form E. It depends on a big heavy flywheel.
    (heavy by Mod standards anyway)
    I hope FastFred will weigh in soon to give his input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe just the sensors and magnet or something to fire them????.. in a smaller aluminum flywheel???

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default There is a magnetic pickup conversion for single cylinder.....

For those that want something really inexpensive, electronic triggers that can be mounted on converted from points and condenser stators to pickup magnetic pulses from a lightened flywheel could be an answer.

Some of the snowmobile drag people wanted to get rid of all the magnetic drag possible to faster rev engines without doing too many changes went to simple battery ignition systems. They used per cylinder sets of $20.00 magnetic conversion triggers that allowed them to lighten flywheels to the minimum requirements (one magnet for pulse plus counter balancing with weights) to stay together with only one perimeter magnet to provide these single triggers with their single pulse around the crankshaft degrees to trigger the system per cylinder. They dispensed with all the other energizer magnets except for the one within the flywheel allowing the flywheel to be light.

I had a look at these magnetic triggers which are used purchased commonly to convert away from single contact points systems like Briggs & Straton, Tucemsee, etc. engines to solid state magnetically triggered engines. From all information these magnetic triggers are fully 12 volt DC capable solid state and are extremely reliable. They are the size of a postage stamp and around 1/8th inch thick.

To mount a total loss battery system, they had found this an inexpensive idea that worked. I am going look at this route to get rid of the unreliable points & condenser flywheel rotated system in use in a Crescent Toronado 3 cylinder I am restoring within the framework of its existing stator and outside appearance of the original flywheel and 3 discharge coils for sparkplugs so the look does not change. This seems an inexpensive method that does not involve re-inventing the wheel.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    maybe just the sensors and magnet or something to fire them????.. in a smaller aluminum flywheel???
    Sounds like a Roskowski ignition. I've seen his ignition on a Dmod motor and it looks like a real nice setup. Call Steve to see if he has a system for the FE motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have his number or how to get hold of him??..thanks looks like what i want,,,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks alot like my konig ignition i ran when set kilo,,, but it would wipe out a sensor once in awhile because the sensors had to be to close to the flywheel,,, crank was flexing to much or>>> that why thinking of tohatsu igniton maybe more space between sensors???...

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default OH, that is nice!

That ignition Steve makes is one nice product with some rave reviews already. Nice work Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    do you have his number or how to get hold of him??..thanks looks like what i want,,,
    From the Indiana Outboard website.

Steve Roskowski, 15-H
    South Vice President
    317-831-5318
    sroskowski@arcindy.com
    Jeff Yungen

Thread Information