Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLASS D,E,FE,SE Modified Runabouts??

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default CLASS D,E,FE,SE Modified Runabouts??

I haven't driven a stock or modified racing runabout since 1983 and I am seeing what appears to be a lot of interest in these bigger runabouts. The ones I had and drove were DeSilva types before the bottom changes some 15 odd years ago. The ones I drove you could push real hard to near abuse but would still forgive you with correction if not at least a bad spinout as opposed to rolling over. The Krier and Sorenson runabouts look and seem to run fantastic and there are no doubt others too. I would sure appreciate some views and information to do some future selections with.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorenson and Krier runabouts are not being used in the east. In the east the most successful new runabouts are the Alt/Luce boats. I believe they dominated at the Nationals ... but it was in their backyard
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default runabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    In the east the most successful new runabouts are the Alt/Luce boats.
    Alt/Luce boats? Are those the ones that look like a big 'ol lima bean?
    Jeff Yungen

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Hi Jeff! Yes I am thinking about it!

Jeff: My first racing was in hydros but I came to love running big runabouts, something I have not been in since 1983. I saw Bruce Johnson's "Krier" racing runabout for sale and since then it got me to thinking, that is the first step is just the thinking and the other is watching you and other guys having fun with them. The rest catches pretty quick. I was always a better runabout driver than in a hydro and was the last runabout driver out this way when it all then went hydro. So now I am asking, reading and listening. Dang! that Krier boat has me thinking!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    Alt/Luce boats? Are those the ones that look like a big 'ol lima bean?
    I don't know what to say they look like ... they are weird looking, but fast
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Krier runabouts are remarkable ruuners.

The Krier Alky runabouts look like a cross between an old 1960s Asburn and some lines of its own that make it very destinct and by reputation a well handling and fast raceboat. You can see a Krier runabout under the for sale forums on hydroracernet. Its around 15 years old but in the design and shape it is in you would never know it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I was always a better runabout driver than in a hydro
    I'm glad to hear that John... I've seen you drive a hydro!
    Just kidding John.

Hey, if you wanna see a bunch of runabouts, come to watch Top O' next year! It's not too far from you. You'll see nothin' but runabouts there. The kneel down racer's iron man competition. NO HYDROS ALLOWED!
    I'll buy you a beer there.
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Desilva F Racing runabout that I run at the AOMCI meets is a side by side two man boat that Ralph Desilva built for Wes Jones in 1998 to run on the Antique Circuit. From what I understand the bottom is the new design that was being used at the time, but the rest of the boat has the old vintage look. It was never raced, as the F class never happened. I`m running a Chrysler with a 3 cylinder powerhead, but never could find the right prop, so I just picked up a 105 4 cylinder powerhead to run next year. Its a smooth riding, easy driving boat.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../raceboat5.jpg
    rich

Post Thanks / Like

John - When I came back into racing last year I took an old 13-6 Krier runabout that was of the same style that I ran a 350cc Konig on in 1982 and modified the deck, cowl and sides. I went to see Rich and measured his current boat, this helped make my boat somewhat like the new boats; however I didn't change the bottom. This boat is pictured in my Avatar.

At that time I thought I was going to race Mod and I put a 3-cyl SE OMC with a Konig gearcase on it. My first race back was at Rockaway Beach, MO. There was a horrible rainstorm the night before and the lake was full of sticks, and logs. I did manage to get two laps of testing in before the race was called. The motor was a perfect fit for that boat. Its a shame I didn't get a chance to race it.

And because there is no Alcoholics Autonomous for methanol I sold the SE and bought a MSR Kawasaki 250cc Pro motor. I ran this on the same boat, but it was way too big of a boat for the 250 so I sold it and ordered a brand new Krier specifically for 250.

Now, I don't always use good judgment so the first thing I did is put a 500cc Konig on the new, never been in the water, 250 boat and ran at the World Championship in Florida a couple of months ago. It ran just fine. In the future I intend on putting together another SE for this boat.

The reasoning behind the deck and cowl configuration is that with the old style cowl as developed by DeSilva with the KR, is that when you turn the boat somewhat at high speed it changes the lift and downforce and the boat will blow over.

I am living proof that that is what happens. The first heat of 350ccR at Alexandria in 1982 I was running over the record and coming into the first turn of the second lap I sort of cocked the boat toward the corner without letting up on the throttle or pipes. I blew over so fast I couldn't do anything. I spent the next ten days in the hospital.

The aerodynamics of the new boats permit you to start to turn the boat at speed without losing any downforce.

The changes in the bottom have more to do with running a side fin rather than a center fin.

I agree the lines of the new style Krier are similar to the old Ashburn C/D Runabout. The A/B Ashburn was a little flatter.

If you are thinking about getting a runabout I don't think you could go wrong with getting the one that Bruce has. The price is right and even though it is a little old, it is well built and is the same as a new one at 1/3 of the cost. - Tim

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Between all three of you, runabouts sound sooo good!

There is one thing I did not ever have with a runabout is an accident resulting in injury. Spun out real good but never dumped or got dumped, I did that 14 times in a hydro all by 1983. I keep going back to the hydroracernet site and looking real hard at Bruce Johnson's Krier runabout for sale time and time again. That tells me something. I still have the bug!

Thread Information