Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John "Johnny" Covals

Post Thanks / Like

Default John "Johnny" Covals

I never knew John Covals, but as a kid I heard Wendell Keith talk about him. Seems Dick O'Dea would mention him too. Got some pictures from John Schubert the other day and this is what he said.
    That name was always mine. When we bought our first boat, a Jacoby 3 point from Johnny Covals, it was named Sleepy Time Gal. I guess that I went up to maybe VI, then stopped using the name.

John

This is John's Sid Craft but had the name Sleepy Time Gal...
    Attached Images Attached Images

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Covals

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I never knew John Covals, but as a kid I heard Wendell Keith talk about him. Seems Dick O'Dea would mention him too. Got some pictures from John Schubert the other day and this is what he said.
    That name was always mine. When we bought our first boat, a Jacoby 3 point from Johnny Covals, it was named Sleepy Time Gal. I guess that I went up to maybe VI, then stopped using the name.

John

This is John's Sid Craft but had the name Sleepy Time Gal...
    John lives in Scottsdale, AZ north of MacCormick ranch area. Builds antique miniature race cars as a hobby/hobby business. I have one picture in my scrapbook of him in his "BU" Sid-Craft from the Albany to NY marathon. Although the A's & B's started a 1/2 hour earlier then the D's, Bobby Switzer only passed John not too many mailes from the finish line. John was 2nd overall. THis pictures was taken at Poughkeepskie, NY the traditional 1/2 way point where most drivers stopped to refuel, as he did. He is actually pointing the wrong was as he missed stopping at the dock on the way down river. That is me (yes, John Schubert) waiting to grab his boat. We were waiting for my father to stop, but he never made it breaking down up river. Another friend of ours, actually Dick O'Dea's long time pit crew, Bob Koftoff to my right was with me as we made the drive from Albany to Poughkeepskie to NYC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I found a KG9 H in a scrap yard. I bought it for $50.00 an when I got it home took it apart. It was all complete but in bad looking condition. Upon looking at the inside I realized this motor was rebuilt and never run. It had greese on the needle bearings and brand new rings in it with a fresh honing job done to the cylinders. With all the fresh greese and oil in it saved this engine. After a cleaning I noticed 44-J stamped on the block. This engine apears to be one of Johny Covals engines. Dick O'Dea seemed to remember him using a KG9 H in the Albany-NY Marithon. I still have this engine today. I will try to post a picture of it next week......Bob Rusnak....N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Covals

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rusnak View Post
    Many years ago I found a KG9 H in a scrap yard. I bought it for $50.00 an when I got it home took it apart. It was all complete but in bad looking condition. Upon looking at the inside I realized this motor was rebuilt and never run. It had greese on the needle bearings and brand new rings in it with a fresh honing job done to the cylinders. With all the fresh greese and oil in it saved this engine. After a cleaning I noticed 44-J stamped on the block. This engine apears to be one of Johny Covals engines. Dick O'Dea seemed to remember him using a KG9 H in the Albany-NY Marithon. I still have this engine today. I will try to post a picture of it next week......Bob Rusnak....N-96
    Bob,
    I don't believe that John ever ran a "D" runabout especially in the Albany to NY marathon. He did however, ran a 4cylinder, probably the one you have, on a Hadley hydro that damn near killed him at a race in Harvey's Lake, PA. He also ran a "B" Hadley. These were very dangerous boats. I bought a picture of John testing his "D: Hadley on eBay & sent it to him. Foolishly, I didn't keep a copy as this was before I knew how to scan pictures.

Allen J. Lang

Default John Covals

Hello Bob- I "may" be seeing John at our AOMC meet this Saturday. Will ask him about the 4 Barrel Merc.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Post Thanks / Like

Default Covals

Quote Originally Posted by Allen J. Lang View Post
    Hello Bob- I "may" be seeing John at our AOMC meet this Saturday. Will ask him about the 4 Barrel Merc.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al
    Al,

Ask him to bring the picture of him in the hadley that I sent to him. Perhaps he'll let you borrow it to scan for us all to see again. Then you could mail it back to him. Do you remeber the Flying Saucer shaped Hadley? Terrible boats.

Allen J. Lang

Thumbs up John Corvels

John- Alonda said that if you were serious about attending the meet, we could clean up the upstair storage area which is a suite. Everyone who has stayed with us enjoyed a suite all to them selves
    Did I mention that Roy Conklin is paying a Christmas visit with his sister. Will be heading back on the 30th. I am trying to get him to attend the AOMC meet.
    Remember we are around frost area, so one must bundle up. The meet is a dry meet in the middle of Falcon field in Mesa.
    Will let you know how everything turns out.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer .
    Will ask John about the Hadley hydro.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Al, ask John if he did own a KG9H engine. I think this week I will take a picture of it and post it on BRF. I will be finishing a MK 55H, one we ran in the club (EORC) and pulled it apart to check everything. It is all complete and I will be selling it when back together. Need the money to put into a 250 Rossi or VRP powerhead. We have two runabouts for this and no modern engine, just a obsolete 250 Yamato,......Bob N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Default AOMC Meet: Where?

Where is this meet?

Post Thanks / Like

Default AOMCI Meet

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Where is this meet?
    Hi again- our meet will be held at the park at Falcon Field in Mesa. Will be just down the road from the Commerative AF museum. It is a bit cool with highs in the mid 50s. NO SNOW though. Have had FROST the end of last week.
    With it being held so quickly, Sat 27 Dec, don't know just how many will show. Between people visiting other parts of the US and family gatherings. Figured we had better have one while our illustrious leader is in town.
    Did you know Roy Conklin when you ran alkies? Hopefully he will be attending as he is going to be in town for Christmas with his sister. He arrives today.
    Ye Old Desert Geezer

Thread Information