Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soriano du Puy (and more), Deutsches Museum (Munich)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soriano du Puy (and more), Deutsches Museum (Munich)

The Deutsches Museum in Munich is heavily populated by technical displays, including a small outboard display. Here are a few nice items:

Photos 1-6: Dr. Robert Richter's step plane with supercharged 4 stroke Soriano outboard. With the quasi-tractor gearcase the rear prop only eats the wake of the forward prop (elementary hydrodynamics suggests that it couldn't work as well as a single prop, but hydrodynamcs is nonlinear so actual tests are useful). Note the automobile steering wheel.

Photo 7: 345 cc/70 hp König. Did anyone get more hp/cc than Dieter König?

Photo 8: Laros 2 stroke, Milano, ca. 1930.

Photo 9: 1996 Evinrude 150 cutaway with direct injection, donated by W. Hellmich of the Provenion company (Munich) that made the Ficht (?) system during 1990-96.

Photo 10: Joe McCauley, Cornelia Küffner, Finn and Hans Küffner-McCauley after a very enjoyable Jan. day at the museum. I've visited the Richter boat every time I've gone there since 1996. Hans and I have a 1981 Evinrude 15, shipped from Houston, that we plan to rebuild completely in our cellar workshop in Austria this winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Post Thanks / Like

The dual prop Soriano was very successful. For many years it was the world's fastest outboard.

No one beat Dieter for very long while he was alive, that is for sure. Power has about doubled since that motor was made.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Dieter was a worthy adversary; well respected by everyone at Quicy Welding, and we kept him at bay for quite a while.

I'll never forget the look on his face when I caught him sneaking a peak at an
    "A" looper we had disassembled in our trailer.

I slipped in behind him and said, "Runs pretty good doesn't it'?

He smiled, said "Ja" and walked away.

Dieter Konig, another of the greats in the pits at Lake Paradise!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I'm glad to get a response from Qunicy. How much hp/cu. in. did the Qunicy loopers pull? Do you know if O.F. had any influence on the design of the wonderful OMC 75 looper (50 cu. in.)?

Best wishes,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Dieter was a worthy adversary; well respected by everyone at Quicy Welding, and we kept him at bay for quite a while.

I'll never forget the look on his face when I caught him sneaking a peak at an
    "A" looper we had disassembled in our trailer.

I slipped in behind him and said, "Runs pretty good doesn't it'?

He smiled, said "Ja" and walked away.

Dieter Konig, another of the greats in the pits at Lake Paradise!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

What motor pulls 140 hp/345 cc? Wan't aware of that!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    The dual prop Soriano was very successful. For many years it was the world's fastest outboard.

No one beat Dieter for very long while he was alive, that is for sure. Power has about doubled since that motor was made.

Post Thanks / Like

The Arens and Rossi 350's; the 500's are looking at 180-200
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

When I left Quincy Welding May 20, 1973, We were pulling 3-4 HP per c.i.
    Obviously the Z's were much stronger!

Paul could best answer that question as well as the question concerning Chris's involvement with the OMC.

If you are surprized that I can remember the exact date I left QW, I started working for QW April 10, 1962.

To me those are dates as important as my birthday.

I made more money other places, but Quincy Welding was the BEST job I ever had!

Chris and I had a long phone conversation shortly before he passed away.
    He asked if I would like to turn back time and do it all over again.

My response was, "DAMN RIGHT"!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pics and info Joe. I probably read the answer to my question before when info on the Soriano was posted, and I am guessing the rear lower unit shaft operated in left hand rotation....correct? I understand what you are saying about running in the wake of the leading prop and agree about the hydrodynamics. Also surfacing props at high speeds don't churn up the water as badly as a fishing motor, and I guess they proved it would work just fine. But my second question is....they didn't run that prop backwards like in the pic did they? I'm guessing someone at the museum just put it on as a mirror image of the leading prop, because I can't see how it would work that way at all. Or am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I understand you perfectly. I raced OPC (NOA in Tenn.) as teenager in the late fifties and again in 2nd childhood 1977-1985 in both APBA and NOA. By 1985 it was dead for me, big money and big boats had taken over. Paul Allison said, and I agree, that he and I lived through the golden age of boat racing (1955-1981). My parents were Mercury dealers 1957-1961, so O.F. Christner and Qunicy Welding works were of heroic stature for me a that time. I once ordered a spring loaded Qunicy crash throttle.

Really glad to make contact with you,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    When I left Quincy Welding May 20, 1973, We were pulling 3-4 HP per c.i.
    Obviously the Z's were much stronger!

Paul could best answer that question as well as the question concerning Chris's involvement with the OMC.

If you are surprized that I can remember the exact date I left QW, I started working for QW April 10, 1962.

To me those are dates as important as my birthday.

I made more money other places, but Quincy Welding was the BEST job I ever had!

Chris and I had a long phone conversation shortly before he passed away.
    He asked if I would like to turn back time and do it all over again.

My response was, "DAMN RIGHT"!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Me too..........

I noticed that the rear prop is on backwards, too. My Dad used to tell me stories about these engines and how strong they were. The front prop is made for fitting to the front of the lower unit. Someone might have just stuck a prop on for display.
    Charley Bradley

Thread Information