Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sad news from the River House

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad news from the River House

Norma and I just returned from our Wednesday routine of supper at The River House. Our waitress gave us the sad news The River House, long a tradition in Quincy is closing January 31.

Kutter's the recently opened upscale bar and grill next door has puchased The River House and plans to expand by opening the common wall that seperates the 2 businesses.

Norma asked our waitness if she would be going to work for Kutter's. She replied, "Probably not, they like young skinny girls who let their boobs hang out".

By the way, our old buddy with the initials A.N. has been seen frequenting Kutter's.

Better keep an eye on him Nancy.

Kutter's carp sandwiches are every bit as good as The River House and the catfish isn't bad, but it doesn't measure up to The River House.

I'll get used to going to Kutter's but I'll miss The River House!

Post Thanks / Like

Default River Front History Gone

Gene,

Hope you got your longjohns on this morning. It's cold down here in TX too. Today's high is only going to be in the 60's !!

Sorry to hear about the Riverhouse. I was disappointed when Jack Hiland died and the Sky Ride closed. He cooked the best carp in Quincy.

I know Kutters will do good. He does put out good food in big quantities at very reasonable prices and the scenery is not bad either.

If you see Jim and Sabina before they close, tell them that Nancy and I said hey and good luck in their future endeavors.

One of these days there won't be anything left of the river front but us BDOBR !

Keep warm,

Art

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carp plates forever!

Gene & Art,

Sad news about the River House. I shot some of best (and worst) pool there. The food was always great, but then nothing beats tradition. It's kind of like the Maidrite on 12th street was always better than the "new" one out on Broadway. (Of course, the REAL Maidrite was in Macomb) .

But I must admit, Jack Hiland's Skyride Inn had the best carp on the planet. Not to mention Jack was a most unique personality himself. I remember this huge mirror behind the bar and there wasn't a crack in it. Unusual for a Quincy riverfront bar. I think it had something to do with the fact that Jack hit the scales at about 3 bills and could do a one-arm hop over the bar faster than anyone could release a beer bottle.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean I'm going to have to switch from Carp to Talapia?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mention Skyride Inn as the place now known as Kutter's, but you're right they were right up there with River House. Sky Ride was vacant for a long time after Jack died, then Kutter's totally remodled the place

During the flood of1993 Willard Scott came to Quincy as a reporter and raved on national TV how good the catfish was.

Last year Al Roker came to cover the flood. He said Willard Scott told him to eat the catfish at Skyride Inn.

Frank, the Made-Rite on Broadway is now the best Mexican restaurant in town, "Mi Jalapeno". You're right about the Maid-Rite in Macomb being the best. I wonder if Bill Collins still owns that place. Did you ever think as a kid eating those greasy things that you and Bill would stand shoulder to shoulder in the Quincy Welding dyno room?

Karen, can you help on this? Didn't you do the books for the Made-Rite, and just what is that "meat" in their sandwiches????

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Carp???? What species were they cooking? Tilapia is very nice too.

Were they cooking into dishes those "jumping" carp that fly by the hundreds when a boat is running on the water? The carp catch here are principally ground up with onions and spices and turned into kafeltafish balls, a Jewish dish and delecacy many find awful tasty! Tilapia is one great eating fish too.

Post Thanks / Like

John,

The Asian bighead "flying" carp is not the one we eat, although I have eaten them. There is a movement in Illinois to feed those critters to the inmates. Maybe Blago will get a chance to try them soon!

The carp we fry is the same as your Jewish friends are grinding up and forming into pickled balls.

By the way, talapia has a Jewish connection as well. Biblical scholars believe talapia is what Jesus fed to the multitudes.

I can eat 2 talapia myself with ease and HE fed 5000 with the same 2 little fish and had left overs.

How many boat racers reading this are aware of an organization called "RFC" or "Racers for Christ"? I think it's a great organization!

I'm not wanting turn this forum into a religious discussion forum.

We talk about boat racing and boat racers here.

If you want info on "RFC", e-mail me. We won't discuss religion or politics here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper 6 Tape

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Norma and I just returned from our Wednesday routine of supper at The River House. Our waitress gave us the sad news The River House, long a tradition in Quincy is closing January 31.

Kutter's the recently opened upscale bar and grill next door has puchased The River House and plans to expand by opening the common wall that seperates the 2 businesses.

Norma asked our waitness if she would be going to work for Kutter's. She replied, "Probably not, they like young skinny girls who let their boobs hang out".

By the way, our old buddy with the initials A.N. has been seen frequenting Kutter's.

Better keep an eye on him Nancy.

Kutter's carp sandwiches are every bit as good as The River House and the catfish isn't bad, but it doesn't measure up to The River House.

I'll get used to going to Kutter's but I'll miss The River House!
    Gene we'll have to break that place[Kutters] in right! Carp sandwich--Looper sounds at full volume and maybe we could sneek in Charlie Bradleys GATOR JERKY. TALK ABOUT DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN!

Bruce

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Bruce, How can I get a CD of yur boat and Flathead running?

Bruce:

How can I get a CD or DVD of you running your Flathead 6 view, sounds and all? There is a whole crop of people who have only "heard of" by reputation these legendary engines legendary sounds but not been subject to them. Around here you can get arrested just testing a Flathead 4 so with your engine running they jail you and throw away the key! What can you tell me?

Thread Information