Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: B Looper

Post Thanks / Like

Default B Looper

I have a B Looper that has a 20H crankcase on it. Any body know the history of this, were any made this way at Quincy, i bought this engine in 1971 from Jim Reid in Ark.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what is the serial number

danny,

is you post the serial numer in the thread paul christner should post some info on the engine.

the the crankcases on the loopers were the merc ones. toward the end of production quincy cast their own crankcases for the 4 cyl models.

frank

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the 20-H case was a retrofit.

A Looper case has 2 ports from the valve body to the cylinders like the 3rd port on a Mercury deflector.

A 20-H case does not enough material for the second port. Plus the 20-H is not as tight, too much volume.

I doubt if that engine produces full HP, but it probably would run well enough to enjoy a nice ride.

Also the Looper case is a 2 piece case. No heating of the case and freezing the crank for hit or miss assembly.

I loved my 20-H, but assembling a Looper was much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Default looper

Gene, This is a tight 20h case. I think it has the ports in the back of the reed cage in to the block. I will have to look an see maybe not as big as a looper case. Serial # is FB-91 it has this # on both the block an case.

Post Thanks / Like

Danny,

A lot of Loopers were sold as kits. It's possible that may be the case with your engine. The original owner may have just bought cylinders,head and pipes and assembled the parts himself.

I can't recall a complete engine leaving Quincy built on a 20-H case.

Perhaps Paul will pick up on this post and enlighten us.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Danny, Gene & company:

As to the 20H crankcases leaving Quincy on an A or B Looper complete, I am in agreement with Gene. I have yet to be shown any acceptable documentation that proves that A or B Loopers left Quincy Welding with them originally.

As to the 4 cylinder Loopers, the very earliest ones did use the Mercury front crankcase half after it was line bored at Quincy Welding, along with the intermediate case. Gene brings up a good point - there were many Loopers A thru XF that left Quincy Welding in kit form. We all know how creative people can be, given the opportunity.

Danny, the original owner on record in the Quincy Welding serial number book for FB-91 was Bud Jewels. That's all the info I have on this particular Looper, unless I find a dyno card on it. If I do, I will post it later.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Post Thanks / Like

Default B crankcase

Hi Paul,
    Here is a side by side photo of my A looper Doug Kay is restoring and a "B" Quincy stuffed crankcase. They look like a looper case but from the backside they look like a stock case. I bought the crankcase on E bay for $16.00 a couple years ago. Have no clue what it went to.
    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default B Looper Crankcase

Quote Originally Posted by Original Looper 1 View Post
    Danny, Gene & company:

As to the 20H crankcases leaving Quincy on an A or B Looper complete, I am in agreement with Gene. I have yet to be shown any acceptable documentation that proves that A or B Loopers left Quincy Welding with them originally.

thanks,

Paul A Christner
    Paul, you probably don't remember a conversation I was party to with you and your dad at Cypress Gardens AOMCI meet many years ago. I questioned OF about this and he confirmed that indeed some were built with Merc crankcases. I remember you and I were surprised to hear this.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't the split case for the A's and B's introduced during the deflector era, before there was a Looper?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I don't recall this conversation that you are quoting took place. However, those that knew my father well, knew his hearing was poor at best by that time of his life and he often would agree with people rather than tell them he couldn't hear them.

Show me credible documentation backing up the rumors that A & B Loopers left Quincy Welding, by design, with Merc crankcases. Until then, I stand by my original statement posted here.

Paul A Christner

Thread Information