Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is There A Bible For Hydroplane Set Up

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is There A Bible For Hydroplane Set Up

hi there guys where are just starting to race outboard hydro plane here in australia just wondering if any one nos of a book on setup tips and props etc. like a general book on boat racing setups , like the two stroke book i have down load off here , if so please let me no cheers jason

Post Thanks / Like

No, there is too much variation in boats and boat/motor/prop/driver combinations. There are no "general rules" because there are too many successful exceptions.

Your best bet would be to find a successful boat just like yours and start testing variations of set up and prop.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I raced for over twenty years and the best info I received was from my competitors. Find
    one or two that you get along with, get to know him and pick his brain for all the knowledge that you can acquire. Also borrow every propeller that you can get your hands. I guarantee that you will find one or two that work for you.
    Do what I call test racing. If you get beat in the first heat, change the propeller and use the second heat as a test session and you will be suprised at what you find.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default JIM is Right....

I BELIEVE there probably is a million ways to make a boat go fast....But as Jim "Racerallen" says listen to your friend.......(Don't listen to eveyone one...) Listen and listen carefully...

Billy Allen Stock Outboard racer is also known as Racerallen....

Anyway, let me add: Paul Gritchar may not be the best inboard set up man in the world...but if I was going to race a V-Drive boat, I would hire Paul to help me. I probably, at this point in my life, wouldn't argue with him about anything he said or did...After about five years, I might try a few ideas myself...but for now and until five years, WHAT EVER PAUL SAID or DID for my V-Drive, I'd say, "YES, SIR"...

I'm in the prop business, but I always tell anyone who will listen, try ever propeller you can get your hands on. I once broke the C Runabout kilo record with a D hydro propeller...No one in their right mind would run a D Hydro prop on a C Runabout, at least not in 1964...

ADD: Jimbo McConnell may have been one of the worst race boat drivers in the world when he started. Then, he listened to my dad, my brother and Ted May. Jimbo became one of the world's best outboard drivers...(Started in 1958 raced until 1985. Was considered good by 1964.)
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-27-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, pictures = many words. If you post what youve got Im sure youll find out something more. Meanwhile test & record results. Dont change too much at 1 time so you know for sure whats going right [or not ]

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADD JohnsonM50

When Chad started back in 45, about 5 years ago, he wasn't running near the front group and wanted to change props. Pat Bowman, radio man, crew chief and I had lap times on Chad...We told him his lap times were all over the place and we didn't want to change set ups until he could lap 25 laps consistantly....

Next to the last race of the year, Chad finished 3rd, but he'd pitched an ear off his prop.

So, the next weekend at Bakersfield, we did some prop testing, and won a qualifier....

We've run 45 for 4-5 years now, and we're in the top five....45 is not an easy class, but we have enjoyed it a ton!

Jeff Fritz from Yuma Arizona had never raced D Hydro, but had won the 1961 B Stock Hydro Nationals. He had a C-D Sid Craft and a C motor at the 1962 Nationals...He was qualified from the Divisional in A and C, and was qualified in B because he was defending champions...

My dad sold Sid Crafts in California, so I decided Jeff should run D hydro...(Be good for business) but he didn't have a D Motor...So, I talked MY OLD MAN into loaning Jeff my number two D motor,as I told my dad I was qualified for D Runabout and didn't need a spare motor.

Jeff and I set the D motor on the boat the same as he ran C. We borrowed a prop from Ted May. Jeff was as close to a natural driver as there ever was, anyway he got a perfect start the first heat and won easily. In fact, his time was the fastest D Hydro time of the 1962 Nationals...

As we were fueling Jeff for the second heat, Ted may came over and said, "My god you are too deep, let's jack it up..." I agreed that if Ted said, we should do it...

I left the pits to run over to the levee to watch the second heat...Jeff finished last and didn't qualify.

After the heat I asked Jeff what happened? He said he couldn't handle the boat, as it was all over the place.....Ted had raised the motor 3/4 of an inch, on the fastest D Hydro at the Gunterville Nationals....

When you win a heat, you don't change anything....You have 400 points, you are in charge of the race!

Ted meant well, but my engines were stronger than Ted's as I proved over the next 5-6 years...a 3/4 in rev stick was a serious mistake for Jeff's D hydro!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for you information, i will post pics on the weekend i have to styles of hydroplanes , 1st one is a folick hull with a 25hp tohatsu , im running , 2 differnt props 1 x 10&1/8 x 19p only getting about 75 kph , 2nd is a 10x 18 chopper , with light cupping its been get 89 kph now the boat weights 30kgs with out the motor driver weight 120kgs , the set up is rnning 4th pin out on the motor , the second boat that is just getting finsh ,is a scale down off the millers high life hydropane, lay down that i have modifed to suit a outboard 25hp ,it weights about 40kg whn finshed will post pics of the two in the next few day and please let me no what you think of them thanks jason

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

here is sme pictures of the second boat im building , please feel free to give comments cheers jason
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Im no boat expert although I build a few. From the looks of the boat you may have issues with lift and to compound that with it being a lay down boat.With the center part of the boat so far back and that is where the lift starts and not in the sponsons you will have a real problem carrying the front. The sponsons also look to long and big and most likely will drag in the water. Although hydros are for the most part three point designs per say fast is when the front two points are out of the water and not only in a streight line but also in the turns. This picture was taken in a turn and the front is not up from hitting a wake, the boat is designed to carry the front this way.Racer it was good seeing you and Billy at the meeting last week, see you again in the Spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your Never To Old To Win

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for you comtents GST , i do have a hydro just like the one in you pic a forlick boat and understand what you are saying .. i did built a prototype to the one you have seen , and it did track very well and we got 85 kph out of it i guess the boat look heavy but it not it only weight around 40kgs and it will have adjustable for kunard wing , but i will take on board what you say and see what happen mite have to convert it back to a sitting postion , cheers jason

Thread Information