Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The USA Northwest - Region 10 Pictures

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default The USA Northwest - Region 10 Pictures

Jim Hallum did a lot of motion pictures shoots (1959 to 1976) so for posterity here I have picked out miscellaneous pictures of other engined raceboats other than Anzanis for your viewing pleasure and I hope You region 10ers will add more as this thread is for you. Here is a start.

Batch 1.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Region 10 Batch 2

Batch 2

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Region 10 Batch 3

Region 10 Batch 3

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Region 10 Batch 4

Region 10 Batch 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures Ain't Too Clear But the Memories Are...

Last picture is at Waterford, near Modesto where we frequently ran kilos...Some of the fastest water in the world, really..

My dad used to buy Keller Speedometer and also get our re calibrated yearly. Keller (Leonard) would write us a letter, type written on the back on a small invoice..He always had news...Keller would have loved the internet..He always signed his notes "KELLER"...He never mention Jerry Walin by name, always called him the Fantum...

Great pictures of The Fantum in a BIG BEE Swift???

In the old days you never had a speedometer you had a KELLER!!!!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Sorry, but the picture quality is not easy to get.

Jim Hallum made up these videos using an 8mm, Super 8mm film cameras and then graduated upward with new technology electronic tape type video cameras available until 1976 to do what there is here. I went through a number of program video editors to find one that would stop action so slowed down I could lift the best frames possible to take a snap shot of what there was to then enter them here. Its time consuming but really worth it.

Digitally re-splicing and editing the same material some of which has no sound but Jim's voice dubbed in and then full racing sounds later has its challenges but its all motion pictures that are the history worth the preservation and posting. Its great to use multi-processor computers to handle the effort rather smoothly considering its age and quality.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some recollections by Alan Ishii, he was there!

From Alan Ishii:

Thanks for posting those pictures on boatracingfacts. I really enjoyed them more than you know. I was about 14 when we made our first trip to Devil's Lake to run an M Hydro.

*The pictures of the Quincy US 1 runabout is Jay Root. But what is personal is that my Dad is lifting on the starboard side. He died in 1974.

*Also loved the pictures of young Fantum. He was one of my role models who mentored me as a young driver. I remember him telling me how to run kilos, how to start and so much more. A great guy who I really miss a lot. Funny incident from Depue. I think it was the John Ward race in 1973. We both broke down in the first turn. Here comes a boat headed right for him as he was stopped in the water. The boat glanced off of him, but what was incredible, Fantum jumped out just before contact. He did a double jacknife worth at 10+! I was the only witness. Since he was safe, we kidded about it for years. By the way, he ran 100+ the year we were there, but did not up the record. The rooster tail looked like it was as long as a football field .I will not name the driver because he is a good friend as well. He said he did not even know he hit him?

*Also the pics of a young Lee Sutter. When he was living here working for Sunbeam, he would stop by my Dad's machine shop almost every day. They were great friends. Lee is a wonderful guy.

*There is even a shot of me that you posted. I am driving the red, no number runabout with the four pipe Yamato for Jim McKean. The motor had tremendous power. The stationary pipes were what held back the top speed.
    *How did you like Bob Rusnak's video? There are some great shots of Lee's Anzani leading the famous Ring of Fire in B Runabout. Saw myself in the pack in that one also. We were running a Looper. The C3 runabout.

Thanks for the great postings John. They really brought back memories for a Broken Down Old Boat Racer. (BDOBR) Hope we meet someday?

*A wonderful recollection Alan. Some day we may very well meet, this is bound to happen.

Thanks.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some added recollections from Alan Ishii

From Alan Ishii, an additional recollection:

The runabout is a 10' 6" Collins, built by R.V. (Pop) and owned by his son, Doc. Driven by Jay Root from San Diego. powered by an "A" Quincy Flathead/ Looper.

I am uncertain of the identity of the person lifting on the left, however, am certain my Dad, George, is on the right. He raced in the 1930's and 1940's. Ran "B" and "C" Jacoby Hydroplanes.

Had a few placings in the Hearst Regatta. Saw Jay at the Depue reunion. Enjoyed seeing him and his wife. Jay also drove John Toprahanian's "F" Runabout. He had a lot of success with his "Pioneer Chicken" 4 cylinder Evinrude tunnel. I do not think either one of us made a run, due to bad weather. Doc and Jay chased the kilo record a few times, however, did not break it.

I am driving the first Yamato 500 imported by Jim McKean in 1973. The engine had so much power, that we repeatedly broke propellers. This was a 4 pipe engine with fixed expansion chambers. It would get up to top speed in seconds, however, without sliders, it lacked the top speed needed to break the record. The runabout is a brand new DeSilva. It was a lot of fun to drive.

I enjoyed your posting immensely.

-Alan Ishii

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Some more of Region 10 stills batches by Jim Hallum

More batches of Region 10 pictures by Jim Hallum other than Anzanis.

Batch 6

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Batch 7 by Jim Hallum Region 10

Batch 7

Thread Information