Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules For Comp Jet Class per APBA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules For Comp Jet Class per APBA

Here is the official APBA Link..........http://www.apba-racing.com/apps/news/index.php

Competition Jet Rules
    Thursday, April 30, 2009
    Competition Jet is an Inboard Endurance Class and govemed by the Inboard Endurance General and Technical Rules as applicable. The following rules, added to the 2009 Inboard Endurance rules under Rule 12, are effective for the 2009 racing season.

APBA COMPETITION JET DIVISION

1. Any hull with a maximum length of 24 feet including pump and extension is allowed.

2. Power to be supplied by one (1) U.S. built automotive or light truck engine including aftermarket parts, with a maximum displacement of 515 cu. in. Cylinder block is limited to cast iron; aluminum heads are optional

A. Chevrolet big block engines must use common wall intake port cylinder heads designed and machined for use with 4.849” bore spacing.

B. A maximum of (2) valves per cylinder is allowed. No overhead cams allowed. All intake manifo1d bases must be cast for a minimum distance of three (3) inches from the intake cylinder head interface or spacer plate. No restrictions on valve train or oiling systems.

C. Naturally aspirated, any form of carburetion or fuel injection is allowed.

D. Engine is to be located forward of the jet drive.

3. The driver must be seated forward of the engine.

4. Single jet drive only used for marine application.

A. Impeller and impeller housing to be mounted above the keel as measured at centerline.

B. No Jet-A·Way or driveline guard required.

C. Must be equipped with a turning rudder that extends at least four (4) inches below the lowest point of the jet nozzle and have a minimum surface area of sixteen (16) sq. in.

D. Jet-O-Vater or Place Diverter adjustable nozzles may be used. A diverter stop is required, and the roostertail is not to exceed four (4) to five (5) feet above the water. This includes fixed nozzle boats. Diverter shall remain in the full down position at all times in or near the pit area or launch ramps until safely on the race course. Failure to do so in the opinion of the referee will result in a one (1) lap penalty.

E. A through-bolted loader must be securely attached, using four (4) 5/16” or larger grade eight or black oxide bolts.

5. All boats and trailers will be numbered. Boat numbers will be a minimum of (10) inches high on both sides, with the prefix CJ a minimum of three (3) inches high.

Post Thanks / Like

Any hull?? Any hull like open and or closed bow? Or do they all have to be closed bow? It does say "any hull".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D. View Post
    Any hull?? Any hull like open and or closed bow? Or do they all have to be closed bow? It does say "any hull".
    Already looking for "Grey areas" in the rules eh???

That would be interesting???? "Run what you brung" as long as you conform to the Inboard Endurance General and Technical Rules as applicable as well.
    Don't think an up front passenger or loaded ice chest would qualify as legal ballast though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZOutlaw View Post
    Already looking for "Grey areas" in the rules eh???

That would be interesting???? "Run what you brung" as long as you conform to the Inboard Endurance General and Technical Rules as applicable as well.
    Don't think an up front passenger or loaded ice chest would qualify as legal ballast though...

Yea, no interior, and a snap on cover for the front. Or something like that. And if the toyota motor is built in the US than it would fall under the US engine wouldn't it. And the dodge hemi would not work since it is NOT built here. I think I'm getting greyer by the minute.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yup...any hull

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the late 70's and 80's at NJBA races at Bluewater, I remember getting a partrol/rescue boat to fill the field numerous times. Same thing happened at Firebird at an IHBA race back in the early 80's, they actually used a open bow jet boat as a filler comp jet. The open deck rescue boat met the criteria of Comp Jet hull back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'll be going racing.

e-PerformanceMarine.com ePerformanceMarine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We have used a few filler boats this season. I may run my cruiser for the remainer of the season. It is a GlenCoe 21'er. When I began the whole reserection of Comp/Nastalgia jet the door was left open to help with boat count. I really wanted to see some white water tin boats come out and run. The rules for the class have been modified a bit since the begining. And they will continue to do so over time to make for better racing.
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

JR Performance Motorsports

Jet Drive Service & Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D. View Post
    Yea, no interior, and a snap on cover for the front. Or something like that. And if the toyota motor is built in the US than it would fall under the US engine wouldn't it. And the dodge hemi would not work since it is NOT built here. I think I'm getting greyer by the minute.

Hopefully they interperet this rule from where the profits are sent as well as where the engines are made.....If a product is made here and all it's profits head to te land of the rising sun it hardly qualifies as American, sure Americans might have assembled it like slave labor....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Meamber
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that curser will run really good.

Amanda

928-770-4394
    Special Thanks to my Sponsors:
    River Rescue, Scott Foxwell Motorsports, JR Performance Motorsports Atlas Plastering, GS Marine and ePerformanceMarine.com

Thread Information