Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Make Noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's Make Noise

Was sitting at home last night when there was a knock at the door. When I opened the door, there stood a young man I had not seen for many years. His name is Joe Keith. Joe was a brother-in-law of the late Stan Higgins, who was a local racer here in QUincy back in the 60's and 70's.

Stan raced mostly OPC. He ran Checkmates and Allison Craft boats and loved Mercury motors. Stan always liked to make noise and usually had a set of Quincy pipes on his black Mercurys.

Joe told me this set of pipes had been in a shed at his place down on the river for over thirty years and had been through all the major floods here in Quincy in the last few years. He thought they probably came off one of Stan's old 110 Mercurys and thought I would like to have them.

After looking at them today in the daylight, I am pretty sure they are a very early set of Quincys that were made up for the Mark 75 F Class motor.

Will have to have Gene East verify next week. Anyway, thought some of you might like to see another piece of Quincy history.

I will have to bead blast them and give them a new coat of paint and then find a motor to put them on. Really does make a guy want to make noise, doesn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You got that right Art. What a beautiful sound that would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Beauty indeed. Probably for an F, I think by the time 110's came around they would have been 2 into 1 with just 3 pipes.

You will need a filler block before you can run it on a motor. A filler block is even harder to make than the pipes and side plate. That is why I've never made any of my own.

If the plate is 18 3/4" it is for an F

I bet that weighs a ton
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice pipes

Looks like a new "ring tone" to me!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Filler blocks

In case you want to run those pipes, I cast Parker filler blocks that be adapted to your Quincy stacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    In case you want to run those pipes, I cast Parker filler blocks that be adapted to your Quincy stacks.
    Tim, are you making 6 cylinder filler blocks or does a customer have to buy 2 4cylinder fillers?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker fillers

Hi Sam, I use two 4-cyl fillers and cut/fit to the divider. There's a 3/8" deeper well than the 44's so you either need a custom divider, or filler adapter. Either will work. Rich Welch has two stacker sixes, one a dry system built this way by Bud Parker, the other is a water cooled system by yours truly.........

Post Thanks / Like

Or mill off the additional depth from the block ... more than one way to skin that cat

I think it is more like 1/2" ... I think I have 2 one quarter inch plates in one of mine to make it match.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MK75 exhaust

Could be 1/2", it's been so long that I can't remember. Milling the side down is OK except the need to drill & tap all holes deeper. Also, I'm not sure about the mid-port studs. Either way, the Parker castings work well, They can be used with oblong ports (Parker, Bayer elbows) or round ports via the adapter plates (Quincy, Stevens). Let me know if you'd like some castings.

Allen J. Lang

Default Mods

Tim- I see by Jeff Conant's posting of the Mod nationals that Jimmy Robb ran second in 850H. Was he running a 3 banger or your 444? Did Rich Welch run and if so, what engine did he run?
    See you at Mark's in the fall.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Thread Information