Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Desilva F racing runabout.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Desilva F racing runabout.

Antique Desilva F Racing Runabout, formally owned be Wes Jones, powered by a 105 Chrysler race motor at AOMCI Meet in Central Florida.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...DSC_1746-1.jpg

Allen J. Lang

Default FRR DeSilva

Richard, is that the same one you obtained from the late Al Scopinich? I see that the picture had been deleted. Do you know what speed you are able to obtain with the 4 banger Chrysler?
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Al, yes its the same boat. I don`t know how to post a picture on the thread, only a link to my photobucket. With the 4 banger 105, I was able to get 62mphgps, but I had the motor tucked in too far. I as worried about the additional stern weight(35lbs heavier the the 3 holer. I`ll kick it out a notch next time, and see if it`ll do more. The weather turned bad so I didn`t have much testing time. I`m using the same prop but with some added diameter, added pitch, and cup. Engine runs 5800rpm. When I first tried it with the 4 banger and the prop the way it was with the 3 holer it would only run 50mph, and turned 6800rpm.LOL Anyone know what the weight of a 4-60 is that is supposed to be on this boat?

rich

Allen J. Lang

Default 4-60 weight

Hi Rich- I just saw a listing for the weight for as 4-60 at 132 lbs. I believe your 4 banger Chrysler is a bit heavier. Probably get ahold of Ralph DeSilva who is listed in the AOMC directory as to how this boat will handle the Chrysler. His phone number is in the directory. That is about the best I can tell you.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information Al, I`ll try to get in touch with Ralph. As far as the Chrysler 4 cyl, the powerhead weighs 130lbs, and the midsection and gearcase weigh 115 lbs., that's 257lbs. quiet a a bit more than a 4-60. The 3 cylinder is only 30 lbs. lighter. The boat is very stern heavy at rest, but seems to run good at speed. I`m sure the boat is strong enough, and haven't had any control problems, but I have been running it a little tucked in to avoid lower speed porpoising. Runs 62mph. I know they run inline 6 Mercs on these boats on the West Coast, they ain't too lite either. and I believe are running in the 90's.

rich

Post Thanks / Like

An inline 6 trimmed down for racing on the west coast weighs about 125-135 pounds ... I have more than one
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam, maybe this combo isn`t gonna work. LOL here are some pics. maybe someone can make them permanent.

Last edited by Mark75H; 08-02-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Use the [IMG] insert button instead of URL; it looks like mountains and sun in a little box
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, Sam

rich

Thread Information