Test to see if this works

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

with the 3cylinder powerhead

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    with the 3cylinder powerhead

I am most interested in your project, as I have started collecting Force outboards and Chrysler parts (with help from mercmack) and am also building an upscaled De Silva replica (with input from RdS through my friend Roy Hodges). Please contact me on wbarthel@mweb.co.za rgds, Wolfgang

RogerH

Default Desilva Copy with Merc1000

This boat was made by Wade Terril (with knowledge of the Desilva brothers) and raced by Pete Delackner. I ran it a couple of time in some APBA Vintage events.

The DeSilva's were great boat builders!

Was working on a 150 Stacker that was ported, milled head, 4-carb intake, but sold all my Chrysler stuff to Bob Dunlop last year.

Love your boat!!!

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Roger that rig is beautiful. What kind of speeds does it turn?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beautiful Rig

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    This boat was made by Wade Terril (with knowledge of the Desilva brothers) and raced by Pete Delackner. I ran it a couple of time in some APBA Vintage events.

The DeSilva's were great boat builders!

Was working on a 150 Stacker that was ported, milled head, 4-carb intake, but sold all my Chrysler stuff to Bob Dunlop last year.

Love your boat!!!

Roger
    You sure got a beautiful rig. What is the all-up mass? Any porting advice/port diagram I could use for the Force. rgds, Wolfgang

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damm Fool Club

I built that motor .....it was owned by Steve Cox at the time. He wanted to go faster than his stock Merc 800 did....60 MPH. When done the Merc 100 with stacks and some slight port work gave good results. But the boat did not ride weel. He sent the prop I gave him to DeWald for a Tweeking and that helped. Then Steve got the trim rite and it ran 80 MPH. I ran that motor before Steve picked it up on a Hydostream Vector. On a long shaft 2/1 gearcase. It HURT my EARS. Like a Mk 20 H. Times 6 On the L4 chilzzer I would just Squar the exhaust ports. Then bevel.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damm Fool Club

I built that motor .....it was owned by Steve Cox at the time. He wanted to go faster than his stock Merc 800 did....60 MPH. When done the Merc 100 with stacks and some slight port work gave good results. But the boat did not ride well. It was out of control and a hand full.The guy running it Set a APBA record in cracker box He sent the prop I gave him to DeWald for a Tweeking and that helped. Then Steve got the trim rite and it ran 80 MPH. I ran that motor before Steve picked it up on a Hydostream Vector. On a long shaft 2/1 gearcase. It HURT my EARS. Like a Mk 20 H. Times 6 On the L4 chilzzer I would just Square the exhaust ports. Then bevel.

RogerH

Default Merc 1000 on TerrilCraft

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
    I built that motor .....it was owned by Steve Cox at the time. He wanted to go faster than his stock Merc 800 did....60 MPH. When done the Merc 100 with stacks and some slight port work gave good results. But the boat did not ride well. It was out of control and a hand full.The guy running it Set a APBA record in cracker box He sent the prop I gave him to DeWald for a Tweeking and that helped. Then Steve got the trim rite and it ran 80 MPH. I ran that motor before Steve picked it up on a Hydostream Vector. On a long shaft 2/1 gearcase. It HURT my EARS. Like a Mk 20 H. Times 6 On the L4 chilzzer I would just Square the exhaust ports. Then bevel.
    Dave, You and I talked about the motor some time ago. The rig was fast (don't know how fast) but it had a lot more in it that I never got figured out. I sold the rig to a very good friend in NY and we will get it figured out. It revs very well with not much load but doesn't go much above 4500 when on the course. Not sure if its timing, jetting, or the prop. It is definitely rich. Have tried several Merc ignition (Gen IV) boxes and even went to a full CDI replacement. That wasn't it. I was real careful when I replaced the flyweel (cracked) not to mess up the timing. Set it with a dial indicator, so I'm quite sure that is right. Just haven't had time to mess with the jetting or prop. It's a whole lot more motor than Pete Delachner used to run on the boat. He ran a 650 4-cylinder mod motor. Nice job on the motor!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you Dave and Roger for some tangible info to help with my De Silva replica project.
    In fact, RDS gave a speed prediction of 80 to 90mph for my project boat. And, by the way, it was a photo of C7 taken I think at the Muscatine boat show some 5 years ago, which motivated me to start the project, after Roy Hodges interpreted it as being a "flat deck" De Silva.

Thread Information