Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Stone...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocky Stone...

Some have e-mailed about Gentlemen Boat racers....Well, you know when you think about it.

Rocky was one. From Willamina, Oregon. They have the Kilo Trials every year, called The Rocky Stone Memorial Kilos...but long before Rocky was gone he helped the club with support and CASH.

I really don't know all of Rocky's accomplishments, but I know that from the time I can remember, Rocky's was considered the BEST RUNABOUT Driver in the Nation.

He never EXPECTED something from the sport, he gave to the sport!!

In 1977, when I won the D Runabout Nationals, Rocky told me that he felt that was the finest race he'd ever seen driven....that meant more to me the the trophy!!!

I think Rocky won FIVE Hearst Regatta in a row!!! He and my father were competitors, but my dad never beat him.

They became great friends and work several Nationals together.

All of Rocky;s boats were called MY GIRL.... A true GENTLEMAN RACER!!!

Here's a picture from the June 1959, Propeller magazine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ralph Holmes Regatta...

Reading who raced, a book could be written about the names...Ray Hullett was Commodore... He worked on most machined parts on all "DOC" JONES/JACK LEEK ear OMC race motors..I didn't know him in his racing days....but one great guy.

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rockey Stone's Hearst Trophy

Hi Ron
    Hear is a photo of the Hearst Tropy My Dad Retierd.

You Have A good Day!
    Mike Stone Sr

Post Thanks / Like

Mike:

I could be wrong, but I believe the trophy in the picture os the Millot Trophy. This is NCOA's perpetual trophy for the sportsman of the year.

I say I could be wrong since you could well know more than me, but the Millot trophy lived in our living room for a year, and it looks exactly like the one pictured. It was give to my wife about 7 years ago.

Joe Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off Topic..

Joe, I know Rocky did in fact retire the Hearst Trophy in C Racing Runabout....Great picture of Rocky, I wondered myself if this was the Hearst Trophy as my brother had one in 1949...

Do you know who Ernie Millot was?

I like this picture, don't take it down, maybe edit it....

Post Thanks / Like

All I know about Ernie millot was that he owned a sporting goods store in Stockton, and was killed in I believe 1929 in a racing accident.

Somewhere I have a complete list of winners of the Millot trophy, if I can find it, I'll post it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default The rest of the story...

Ernie Millot's wife, later married Bud Wiget...

Ernie was killed in an F Runabout by a man named John J. Kavockovich. He quit racing after the accident. When I went to college in Arizona I met a kid who's parents started Circle K Markets, they called him Kavoc...he was John J.'s nehpew...

Rocky was a Sportman..
    Do publish the list...

Northern California is so rich with OUTBOARD HISTORY, it will be great to see it unfold in our encyclopedia...

I'd love to know your wife's family's boat racing history!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-15-2004 at 07:53 PM.

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe J
    Mike:

I could be wrong, but I believe the trophy in the picture os the Millot Trophy. This is NCOA's perpetual trophy for the sportsman of the year.

I say I could be wrong since you could well know more than me, but the Millot trophy lived in our living room for a year, and it looks exactly like the one pictured. It was give to my wife about 7 years ago.

Joe Johnson
    Hi Joe
    This is The Hearst Trophy Rockey retierd With the three of 5 wins. They put up another tropy about half the size of this one and he won it the next two years, Then missed. After that year they stoped the race. They offered him the tropy because he had two legs on it. Being the type of guy he was, he told them to let the other driver Keep it because he had the first one.
    As Ron said he was a true gentlmen Driver. I know of one nationals he lost because he got beat by his own eqipment, he let someone else use. Hal Talford Broke a lower unit at Depue and Rocky let him use his spare. Hal tried every thing he could to get dad to sell him that lower unit. He said he ran faster with it than he ever had.
    Dad was a tool and Die maker when he was younger. A freind of his brought an outboard in for him to line bore. He always said the motor was several miles an hour faster afterward. He got to thinking, how much faster he could make one go if he realy went though it and made sure every thing was true on it. He built a motor, got a boat, and ran it in his first race. he placed first beating the last years winner. As the story goes he was hook for life

You have a good day!
    Mike Sr.

Ps Here is a picture of Rockey at Green Lake Wa. in 1953. I belive He's running 'D' stock hydro

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More photos of Rockey

Here are some more photos of Rockey. If any one has any Photos for Rockey they would like to share with me, Please send them to MikeStoneSr@Hotmail.com.

Thanks
    Mike Stone Sr
    You Have a Good Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I do not know if you have this photo from a 1959 APBA Championship Program in Minden, La. September 26 & 27, 1959

Thread Information