Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Stone...

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, could you email me a bigger higher resolution version of that scan?

Mark75H@aol.com
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStoneSr
    Here are some more photos of Rockey. If any one has any Photos for Rockey they would like to share with me, Please send them to MikeStoneSr@Hotmail.com.

Thanks
    Mike Stone Sr
    You Have a Good Day!
    Mike, have you talked with any of the Downing's from Washinton state? I know Rocky was Mike Downing's idol when he was growing up and Rocky is who got Mike started in boat racing, from what he told me. I think Mike consider Rocky a father figure........

I am told Rocky ran this McDonald hydro I have a couple times in C Service.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mercguy; 03-14-2005 at 08:43 PM.
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe

No, I do not Have a copy of this. It's a great picture and great article.
    It would be nice if I could get a good high resolution copy of it emailed to me.
    this artical has great information on Rockey's early years of racing. I have some information from the 60's and am always looking for more. My email address is MikeStoneSr@hotmail.com

Thanks Joe
    You have good day!
    Mike Stone Sr

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Transom...

Mercguy,

If you are restoring this boat, you have to sand the corners of the transom at the top...I'll help you, but they weren't square....

Also, all the McDonalds had cloth decks. Ted may was the first one to figure out it was easier and lighter to just use plywood on the deck...

BUT, you done some great jobs retoring old boats and painting new ones...

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Daren

All of Rockey's Hydros were built by Mac. I don't know if this is one of his boats or not all the hydros I remember Dad having had cloth decks. In the 60' Dad would get a new one evey year. Mac would charge him what ever he sold the old one for. When Rockey would take the new boat to a race and run all first place heats in 'C' Service and 'C' Racing, Mac would get a dozen orders for a copy of the new boat. Mack also built "My Girl", She was a copy of a Charle Shirly Phantom Hull. The Marine Museum at Astorea Oregon has this boat now. He won the Nationls with this boat in 1957. Although he ran De silva's runabouts for a long time, he kept "My Girl" to run for kelo records at Devils Lake. The picture Joe posted looks like and early one of this boat. The Picture I posted of R-26 was of Rocky trying for a Kelo record a Devils lake.

Thanks
    You have a good Day!
    Mike Stone Sr

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Suspect...

First, I know this hydro had cloth decks...

But, I suspect, this may not be a McDonald hull...

I'm not sure were Mercguy got the boat, but I know that my brothers two Sid Crafts ended up in San Diego and that Jeff Fritz's Sid (Actually Pat Conner's) ended up in Yuma, which is just over the hill from San Diego...

All three Sid's had dark wold cockpit combings like McDonald used. Accident or whatever, most California Sid Crafts had dark wood for cockpit sides.

I can tell Sid Craft workmanship from McDonald....the air traps on the boat in the picture look like my brother's old boat....as I changed the traps after the 1965 Nationals (Also, the spruce I used was not vertical grain...as those traps appear to have cross cut wood for traps).. Another thought, I set the motor back, six inches on my brother's Sid, to be like my 1995 Sid I bought from Stan Armstrong....and the set back was bolted on by about 12 bolts..This is why the transom may have need replacement.

Probably, no one cares...but me...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-17-2005 at 10:39 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid Craft?

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    First, I know this hydro had cloth decks...

But, I suspect, this may not be a McDonald hull...

I'm not sure were Mercguy got the boat, but I know that my brothers two Sid Crafts ended up in San Diego and that Jeff Fritz's Sid (Actually Pat Conner's) ended up in Yuma, which is just over the hill from San Diego...

All three Sid's had dark wold cockpit combings like McDonald used. Accident or whatever, most California Sid Crafts had dark wood for cockpit sides.

I can tell Sid Craft workmanship from McDonald....the air traps on the boat in the picture look like my brother's old boat....as I changed the traps after the 1965 Nationals (Also, the spruce I used was not vertical grain...as those traps appear to have cross cut wood for traps).. Another thought, I set the motor back, six inches on my brother's Sid, to be like my 1995 Sid I bought from Stan Armstrong....and the set back was bolted on by about 12 bolts..This is why the transom may have need replacement.

Probably, no one cares...but me...
    Ron, Sid Copy. If you look at the coaming sides at the transom, they are just tapered from the top down to the deck. With the exception of the "A" boat most of them had the coaming extended beyond the transom about 2 - 3 inches with a plate attached to the inside of the coaming to lock in the transom. The top & bottom edges of the end of the coaming including the inside piece was rounded with an approximate 1" radius. I have had plenty of Sid Crafts & Sid Sons and saw many more at races and under construction as the Schubert's & Urytzki's were close friends. Sid & Bobby went with us on several trips to Depue.

I'm still thinking that Daren's boat is a Macdonald, as hus looked a lot like a Sid. Someone could have put the wood decks on, which was tricky without changing the stringers as there is a slight compound bend. We found that out with my Jacoby as Hal Kelly put full wood decks on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'd Like To See It...

The 1960-62 Sid's transon were flat...first "D" I saw with the transom "set Back" was the 1965 of Stan's that we bought.

Your other point about the combing, I don't quite follow...

The air taps just looked like my brother's, and he sold it to Lynn Buckles in San Diego...and Darren leves right about where Buckles did...but Darren does know boats..probably, a McDonald.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom Sketch

The 1960-62 Sid's transon were flat...first "D" I saw with the transom "set Back" was the 1965 of Stan's that we bought.

Your other point about the combing, I don't quite follow...

The air taps just looked like my brother's, and he sold it to Lynn Buckles in San Diego...and Darren leves right about where Buckles did...but Darren does know boats..probably, a McDonald.
    See this sketch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Mercguy,

If you are restoring this boat, you have to sand the corners of the transom at the top...I'll help you, but they weren't square....

Also, all the McDonalds had cloth decks. Ted may was the first one to figure out it was easier and lighter to just use plywood on the deck...

BUT, you done some great jobs retoring old boats and painting new ones...
    Ron, Frank Z installed the new transom and deck. I did not want the cloth deck anymore. Also there is supposed to be a curved overhand from the rear of the top of the sponson and to the deck, which Frank did not do. So, when I have some time, it will be done correctly........I hope!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information