Thread: Rocky Stone...

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rockey Stone Photos

Here are some photos of Dad's boat No's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Mike, those are great!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Numbering system

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStoneSr View Post
    Here are some photos of Dad's boat No's
    When I started racing in the early 50's & continues today, a letter for the state(s) then a number was for Alky now Pro. Stock Outboard was number first then then letter. In the early 50's until 1955, Stock Runabouts had single or double digit numbers & all hydros had triple digits starting with a 5, then 6, then 7. For example, 519-J, 645-N, 756-C. In 1955 they eliminated that system & went to the same numbering system as with runabouts for all stock classes. Early on you couldn't have the same number on multiple boats in different classes by the same owner/driver, but that changed as well. A driver in AU & BU could have the same number on both boats, same for hydros. Now the amateur/professional numbering system. There was a difference for amateur & pro as early on it was felt that if drivers were to go on to amateur sports they could not win money only trophies or merchandise, so you registered with your annual membership amateur or professional. Amateurs were assigned odd numbers & pros even numbers, although all raced against each other. Where there was money awards, the awards for the amateurs was usually given to the parents. This changed by the early 60's. There was one other confusing numbering system for the Stocks & that was the awarding of the 1-US & 2-US numbers at the end of the year. Originally, 1-US was awarded to the Amateur high point winner & 2-US to the professional. This later changed to 1-US as the national Champion & 2-US to the high point champion, or maybe just reversed. Not sure how that works today.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, Mike....

"ROCKY STONE" is still a name in the Hill Family that stops conversation and if you know the Hills, everyone talks at once.

Thanks for posting the great pictures of Rocky.

I guess, I thought Pat was gone. If you see her please give her my regards. I don't think I've seen her in 30 years!!!!

She kind got mad at me in Utah, 1973, said, "I got Rocky drunk"..... Me get someone drunk????

Rocky was "THE MAN" to beat, I'm glad they still have the Rocky Stone Kilos. After I'm gone they'll probably has the BS Nationals and MINI BOAT ENDURO in my honor!!!!

Son of Rockey Stone
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam! I have a lot more from the early 40s' I'm trying to get scanned in.

Tanks John! How does this photo from 1953 of R80 "Over Easy" fit in with what you are saying.

Thanks Ron! I'm going to see Pat tomorrow. I will give her you best wishes and ask her about Utah. Rockey was known to spend time bs'ing about racing. When we were kids, he would take us to the boat show hear in Portland. We would have to leave him, to talk to people, if we wanted to see any of the show.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rockey Stone's DU runabouts

I am restoring a DU runabout built by my father Wilbur McDonald that, I believe, was made for Rockey Stone. On the stripped-down sides I can see the faint outline of the number 26-R in the same style Rockey used on his boat numbers. A more legible name on the deck reads "Mooe Too" in script lettering, but that may have been applied later.

Pat Stone kindly let me borrow and scan Rockey's scrapbooks. In these pictures, as well as the one Mike Stone has previously posted, the R-1 looks just like the DU I have. The APBA rule was changed in 1957 to allow a plywood insert covering the forward cockpit, so I am guessing the squared-off cockpit was to facilitate the cover. At some point the requirement of the front cockpit was eliminated altogether, but I am not sure what year that was.

Rockey won the Sammamish Slough race in D class in August 1955 with the Calkins 26-R. A couple weeks later at the Devils Lake Nationals, he set a 5-mile competition record. The official certificate lists the hull as a McDonald, number as 26-R, and the name as "My Boy".

Rockey won National high-point in DU in 1956. I am guessing the 2-US picture is taken at Dorena Lake, OR in 1957, although that does not appear to be Rockey driving. Bruce Haskell, Region 10 Chairman from Seattle, is crew (and I am guessing that is Bruce's son that Rockey gave a ride in 2-R.)

I hope someone can fill in the blanks for me with pictures or information on this boat in particular, or any other McDonald boat that may be out there.

Gregg McDonald

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gregg. We are looking forward to more from you.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information