[/QUOTE]
Jimmy and crew finally got the boat going fast enough at Lake X to beat Miss Budweiser. So, when Bernie Little got wind of the Arcadians speed, he changed the rules for the turbines. So, Jimmy parked the boat.........at least that is the way I heard the story![/QUOTE]

I was thinking about this on the way home last night and again on the way in, I have an hour each way to work. Takes me that long to form a line of thoughts, well, maybe just one thought.

When the turbine Atlas came out in 84 and the sanctioning body figured out in the hands of a competent designer, turbine power was a viable alternative to the dwindling pool of Merlin's and Alison's. Not to menttion the fact that the Air race guys thought we were a bunch of cowboys for putting "big windows" in the side of the blocks. Irrate was the term I heard used. If Troy McIntire were still alive he could tell me exactly who it was that proposed the weight restrictions and what the weight was on the turbine franchise owners. Bernie, Fran Muncie to name the 2 early ones. If anyone knows please feel free to correct me, and by the way they had scales on the spreader bars when they lifted the boats. I saw them used each qualifiying day, and at the beginning of race day.

I think the original number was 6200 pounds, may have been 6500 and that was supposed to give the 85 Bubble Bud Griffon boat a more equal shot. Seems to me it weighed in at 8500 pounds or something close to it, may have been more. The 79 boat weighed almost 7500 if I remember right. Griffons are huge, and heavy. Also note that the Atlas camp was using both T55-L7 & L11 versions, 2750 and almost 4000SHP respectively. They called the L11 "Big Wally" and they were scattering the hot sections on those, thinkin' they were above rated power on them, A BUNCH!! So 85 was a year of dummyin' down the turbines with weight restrictions. 86 was the first year I saw the scales personally. I am missing a few rolls of film because I actually got the weight on the 86 Turbine Bud from about 4 boats down the pits. I think it was 6200. In 1987 I think it was still close to 6000. In 1988 I think it was around either 5300 or 5700 for the turbines. This could all be coincidence though... The APBA took over the Unlimiteds not long after that but I do not recall when.