I'm not sure of the exact date classes started at Southwest Texas State College, but it was very soon after Labor Day. Labor Day in 1968 was Monday, September 2. Bud and I got most of everything hauled up in his 1968 Camaro and me in my 1967 Dodge Polara. The apartment was fully furnished, including an automatic dishwasher, but no washer or dryer. The biggest thing we had to lug was a mono record player built into a large heavy console. Neither Bud nor I owned a stereo or even a mono record player, though I had already accumulated quite a few vinyl 33 rpm LP's. I played them on my sister Brenda's record player at home in Alice, and then lugged them to dorm rooms at Texas A & I to listen to with friends. We had to have music, so Bud borrowed this 150 pound monster, complete with storage shelves underneath the turntable and on both sides. It was his parents, and it didn't work even though it wasn't that old, but they weren't listening to music on it, and we figured we could make it work. We didn't really have any other choice at that time anyway.

Somehow, by the time we struggled out of their house and down the stairs with it at Sarita, Texas, hauled it a couple of hundred miles, and into the apartment, when we plugged it in, the turntable went round. We put an album on the spindle and pushed the lever to play, and lo and behold, we had music.

Downstairs the front door opened into the living room. The opposite wall on the right was the small dining room and the left side of the room behind a dividing wall was the kitchen with an oven, stove, refrigerator, sink and automatic dishwasher. The stairs were on the right wall leading up to the one large open bedroom above with the bathroom sink and tub/shower combination. Under the stairs was a large storage room with the door right of the dining area. That proved to be a great boon for Bud and I. Baldy had opened up a new office just north of Kingsville, Texas a couple of years earlier. Typical in the fashion of Baldy, he had bought carton after carton of 12 oz Dixie Cups, a fifty five gallon size plastic bag full of little boxes of plastic forks, knives and spoons and a couple of large cardboard boxes full of heavy duty three sectioned paper plates. He didn't want to run out, and he allowed the general public to attend the bar be que . We served around 1500 people that day....a lot of them college students. The haul Bud and I were so fortunate to receive were what was left over from that feast. All we would have to wash was some glassware, pots, pans, skillets and some miscellaneous kitchen items.