Wayne, I think you're right, counter rotating props

http://www.soriano-outboard.com/11357.html

with rear prop on backward in the photo! I took inventory in our Houston garage in fall. I have enough parts to build (more than) a complete 3 cyl. 75 powerhead, ready to bolt onto a downhousing and run. Got enough gearcase parts to build multiple gearcases, minus housing and driveshaft. So I'm buying a downhousing and gearcase housing with driveshaft to put together a motor (need to find an Evinrude 75 cowl) . I haven't the foggiest idea what I'll do with it afterward. Maybe just put it on a stand and look at it, like your König. I simply love the old outboards.

Best,
Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
Great pics and info Joe. I probably read the answer to my question before when info on the Soriano was posted, and I am guessing the rear lower unit shaft operated in left hand rotation....correct? I understand what you are saying about running in the wake of the leading prop and agree about the hydrodynamics. Also surfacing props at high speeds don't churn up the water as badly as a fishing motor, and I guess they proved it would work just fine. But my second question is....they didn't run that prop backwards like in the pic did they? I'm guessing someone at the museum just put it on as a mirror image of the leading prop, because I can't see how it would work that way at all. Or am I missing something?