One of the weekends that Susan and Jeanie came down from San Antonio the subject of dancing came up. Don't ask me how, because it surely wasn't from any of the boys. Anyway, one or more (can't remember) asked me if I knew how to dance. I made it clear I didn't and had no intention to learn. Well...three pretty girls were determined that I was going to learn, and pretty determined they were going to succeed. How could I resist. To this day I believe it was a planned conspiracy. They wanted to go to dances, yet I was the only one they picked to teach. I think they thought if I learned how, all the other guys would be forced to learn and well, and off the the dances we would go on a Saturday night.

So Susan Turcotte, Jean Marie Huff, and Mary Jean Sanford all piled into my red and white Dodge Polara with surf racks on the top and we drove to the Kat's Korner in Premont, Texas. It was a little over an hour to the south on Highway 281. The Kat's Korner was a small brick building with a very high ceiling and a courtyard on the north side with an eight foot brick wall surrounding it. It was hot and crowded inside, so they took me outside to learn to dance. Susan's older brother Bud already knew how to dance country and western, so he was not brought in on their scheme.

I didn't get a break. I had to dance every song, while they took turns. I'll have to admit it wasn't as bad as I had expected it would be. Having spent a couple of hours in lessons, we headed back to the lake. Soon Susan and Jeanie would be bringing some of their new found friends back home for the weekend, and we would end up going to a dance somewhere on Saturday night. So, I somehow believe this plot was concocted in some rooms in a dormitory on the grounds of St. Mary's.