John Ward Race. John Ward was run at DePue at the behest of my Dad Baldy Baldwin. We were promoting international racing, and no other country applied, so it came to the USA and Clyde and Charlotte Queen were glad to add that prestigious event to the 1974 Pro Nationals. There was not a John Ward race in 1975. In 1976 it was held at Valleyfield, Qeubec, Canada. That was the last John Ward trophy race. I was there along with Fred Hauenstein, Tim Butts, Jimmy Aderholdt, George Anderson, Jerry Kirts and others. Jerry ended up winning.

After that, there were no more applications as far as I know to run the John Ward trophy except for the 1980 race at Yelm, Washington. It was advertised on the race circular that there would be a John Ward race. There was a drought. The 1 2/3rd mile record course was reduced to the 1 1/4 mile course. Somehow, in all the goings on, the John Ward race was pushed back or forgotten. Bob Wartinger might remember. I was there. It wasn't run, and according to Mike Ward, the John Ward race was discontinued after 1976.

The last John Ward race then would have been the one at Valleyfield, Quebec Canada and the previous one was at DePue.