Gene

You had corrected someone stating that the Looper was out as early as 1664. I remembered some pictures that I have been converting that my father had taken at Lake Spivey at the 1964 NOA Nationals. I browsed through them the other night and found some pictures from the pits.

Let me say first that the block in the pictures of the previous post is not ugly but a thing of beauty and pure genius. The die hard old fashion way, of that time, to bring an idea to something tangible.

Dad had taken some pictures through the pits and as I looked through them, the first picture he had taken of me by my boat and the engine just left of center with a gentleman bent over it looked like it had 2 horizontal exhaust pipes on it so I zoomed in on it. It looked enough like a Looper to confirm they were there in 1964. I zoomed in on the next picture to see if somebody would recognized the individual working on it.

I the continued through the rest of the pictures and found one that had been taken a little closer and more to the aft, however the complete motor was covered with the exception of the back of the pipes. What you see is the aft half of the elbows with the steel cones as pictured in the previous post. I did two zoom ins , although grainy, there can be no mistake of what they are. It looks as they had shorten the steel cone and were just a little shorter that the final aluminum cone.

I reversed the order of the 4th and 5th pictures.

I included a picture of the rocky hill side where the pits of Quincy landed because of your late arrival. I remember that the word was going around through the pits that Quincy was going to build a 4 cylinder version of their new motor.

Was the 3rd port being used in the deflector at that time? I find it interesting that the first Looper did not have the 3rd post if it did exist at that time in the deflecters.

Attachment 58910Name:  PICT0156.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  85.6 KBName:  PICT0156 3.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  115.3 KBName:  PICT0159.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  120.2 KBName:  PICT0159 (2).jpg
Views: 357
Size:  133.2 KBName:  PICT0159 3.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  73.1 KBName:  PICT0158.jpg
Views: 360