Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Floyd Hopkins

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avitar

Jeff & Wharf Rat:

I don't know what an Avitar is. I E-mailed John and told him what I had done, but it took me two days to figure it out and I wasn't sure I could explain it. I told him if it didn't work to get with you guys. I've learned more about E-mail, sending photos, editing, etc. in the last few weeks than I ever thought I could. This site may cause me to lose the spring garden.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for those who need to know, an Avitar is the Small pic just under your name like mine to the left here.
    A signature is what you see below....Pugh, Konig, DeSilva.

How do you like what I did to your Signature Wayne?? Send a good pic to me, and I'll do the wizard thing and post it for your avitar if you wish.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sctti

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Quick question...
    The year you ran the Scotti, how long before the race did you know you were going to run that boat.....I have a story to tell, but want your answer first...!

(The steering wheel did come off, right)????
    Ron, I first ran it in Stuart, FL getting ready for the intro of the Rotarys. I then ran it for perhaps 6 - 8 laps in the Miami Marine Stadium for the intro with the mike being handled by Bill Muncey. Unknown at the time Evinrude had worked out a deal with Atlas Van Lines & Bill for him to race a couple of times for them for publicity purposes, this ended with his blow over at the Memphis race. Any way, back to the story. During the media reception at the hotel, Jim Briggs asked if I wanted to drive the boat the following week at Parker and Bill will co-driove. (Isent this story to you earlier in an e-mail). Obviously I accepted as like you I'm a racer. During the rotary show it carried your number "9", but I changed it at Parker to my number "44". I started the race & moved up steadily, not sure of what position I was in, but probably near the top as I was told & read in print later that other then the rotarys I had fastest lap. I turned the boat over to Bill who was holding his own, but eventually didn't come around as scheduled. Finally he did & pitted. Well, in the far turn, what was that the 6.5 miles away from the pits, the steering wheel spline stripped. So Bill grabbed the cables on each side of the wheel & got back to us. The OMC team headed by Soller drilled through the wheel & shaft & put a bolt through. While this was going on, Tom Ireland asked if I could stay with the boat after the last fuel stop, I agreed only if we were in contention. Back I go, but quickly found out the trim wires broke & the trim was stuck out. So slowly back to the pits again for repairs. The rest is history as at the last fuel stop Bill was suited up ready to go but I was told to stay with it as we were up to 3rd, but still finished 2 laps off the pace, even though I was told we were making up some of the lost laps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floyd Hopkins, Prop Master

I have had Floyd on my mind since his passing and have been trying to find this old article in HYDROPLANE QUARTERLY - 1973. I knew Floyd for 50 years. I met him when I was 8 years old, and we were friends. He always had time to talk with me. We always had good visits. I know that Glen, Floyd's son, will miss him. Hope that you enjoy reading this old article.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark75H; 07-14-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Thread Information