Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: my 1983 Krier with 55h mod

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my 1983 Krier with 55h mod

racing in the 1989 APBA nationals at Mountain home Ark

proper order for these pictures are from middle to bottom and back to top

included are Randy Aveline 23-L Ed Weinardt at that time 1us Mike O'brien 34-H and randy terril in back ground as Todd had pointed out to me (below )was 9 runabout record setter in 1989 or was it 88 Loyd Mize 53-0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Aveline; 06-10-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: correcting
    "Change is the only Constant in this life!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mtn Home

Randy,
    In your 1st picture the 53-0 boat in the background was that of Lloyd Mize from Galt Ca.
    Good pictures as I was thinking about Mt Home just last week.
    Todd

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd
    yes that is Loyd Mize i was trying to think of his name yesterday when i posted it ,must of had a senior moment lolol

that year Loyd set 9 runabout records (straightaway) all of them>> in APBA

we had never seen him race in the central area at that time . i guess he wanted to try his hand at the nationals i think he wound up 5th or 6th that day

i have 2 more shots of that sequence where Ed hooked up and bumped me i tried to stay away by turn a lil more left on the wheel attempting to avoid contact and was basically forced into a buoy breaking my boat loose launching it , Ed was so close that my lower unit landed on his deck throttle side and my prop took out the deck and side from throttle back . ruining my best prop . interesting thing was i was Disqualified for bearing away . While in inspection after the heat i was told to say nothing as there was nothing to i could say i was out and that was that (Politics BAH)
    i sent the prop back to Craig to be repaired and when i got it back went to Alex LA for the AOF nationals , prop was 4 miles per hour faster on the runabout and 5 MPH faster on my 12'6" Pugh and won the 89 DMH nationals (AOF) was winning the D runabout by about 10 boat lengths when the prop shaft broke and lost the wheel Sigh That s racing

I like how the water is hitting Ed in his face shows how close he was pushing me

i will post the other 2 shots if i can find them

Pictures were taken and supplied to me by My friend George Young almost 17 years later lolol
    well i found 1 cannot find the other in the last pic where he is getting watered just after that is where it hooked up and this next shot i just uploaded shows him trying to pull it back , and you can see my rig riding up the buoy .. interesting thing is Ropp actually built this hook up feature in his runabouts, it was an old concept back then as it had been done and tried by dale hull and Tab Buford the original designer of that B&N / hull style boat actually that hook up got Ed into more than 1 bad situation where the hitter in this case ED usually ended up with the damage

later in my pit we turned the Krier over and saw orange an streak (buoy Paint)going from tip to stern passing across my left side chine fin, when showed to ths officials, they claimed there was still nothing i could say i was just D/Q-ued and that was that !!

Tab Buford educated me on the fact that they saw this as a flaw and worked to remove that hookup character out of itheir boats and did . dale ropp was a decent boat builder but in my opinon always an imitator , but never until towards then end was he an innovator

The Krier was built for me in 83 after Ken had watched me drive an older 20yrs older Krier from 6 to 3rd to take 3rd in the 82 nationals.. Ken approached me after the DMR race in 82 asking was that one of his boats, i asked him who he was (i was 23 and never had never met him) I claimed yes , he complimented me on a great driving job from back in pack to my 3rd i passed 3 drivers on out side in turns!

I begged him to please build me a new 1 he asked if he did what would i want in a new boat , I said 5 things lol and i wanted 1 similar to Mike O'Brien's B&N style he had in 1982 which we asked to let us look at his boat bottom "he said if it was any 1 else he would decline them " and "said we had 15 minuites "

( Mike is just maybe 4 years my senior and we basically grew up at IOA races in the 60,s)

Ken and i turned his (mikes) boat over Ken made 4 or 5 measurements and said he was done it took like 5 minuites !

the 5 things i told him i wanted was it
    1. had to handle rough water,
    2. 24 inch bottom ,
    3 it had to be 13 foot long ,
    4 it had to be able to turn tight or wide
    5 most important it had to be faster than Hell heheh laughed at the last

well all 5 were upheld except it had a 25.5 inch bottom i complained he said the added width could be easily removed but i should try it first
    after the prop bending and mutilation of eds boat i shaved 1 side back from 55 inches to 30 inches up from the back after that the boat turned even better

Ken told me that i could never let Tab Buford look at his boat ever , i never did let Tab look at the 83 Krier and he never asked

lololol i took delivery 2 weeks before the 1983 mod nationals with no test time at Dayton Ohio well we had 3 /15 min sessions is all! the new Krier was bare wood when i got it 2 weeks prior to 83 APBA nationals ,I worked 10 hour days at my job and worked 10 hour nights on the Boat it was all was done by test day we put numbers on in the pits
    at Dayton, we took back to back 2nds behind Mike O'Brien

I guess I could do a Paul Harvey and "say and now you know the rest of the Story" in this case all are facts

i have owned 3 Krier runabouts and they were clearly the Best i have a Hull runabout but my heart lies with the Krier boat s Race 1 or chase 1
    RI
    RIP Ken MY hats off to you as the Best in my opinion runabout builder of all time

kindest regards to all
    Randy Aveline "racing runabouts since 1967"

P.S. sorry if this got a little bit long but i felt the facts had to be brought out all are true here and just the Facts

(note in the last picture that is dale ropp just entering turn in red boat as we are exiting same turn)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Aveline; 06-10-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: adding text

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nationals

Randy,
    Thanks for the update and story on your boat. I have one as well but will send you PM on that lol. Yes Ken and Mike have built many many great boats. Mike has driven mine in 500 runabout a few times and at the Pro Nationals. I have also had the pleasure of staying at the Kriers and what a wonderful family they are. Mike and I talk to each other still after all these years at least twice a week.I remember when Mike rode with me at the Nationals one year and both his parents came to me and asked how did I get him to ride. Long story short Mike has not rode in 1100 since and wont lol. In my avitar picture that is Mike riding with me. Believe it or not he still complains about that ride.
    Again great pictures on the Mod Nationals. I also remember when Lloyd set all the records a I was his helper that weekend. I thought it was more than 9 but that was probably because I was worn out. Lloyd was very serious that weekend and had he not set those we were on our way to Florida as there was a Kilo somewhere there. Glad he did them at Waterford
    Thanks again,
    Todd

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thought i would post pic of the first Krier i bought off of Burt Hoef;s in 1980
    these were shots of the 82 nationals at coral-ville res in err near Iowa city Iowa

then is a another shot of the 83 Krier at Alexandria La 1989 AoF nationals this shot of the 23-L we were actually running 76 MHP and lost the prop due to prop shaft breakage next lap man i was sick over that as i never got another prop that good for the 55-H

and last my 2006 Krier at Zanesville Oh taking a 3rd in 2009 APBA nationals

. it is amazing the changing technology over 30 or so years

Enjoy
    Good Luck and Have Fun
    Randy
    Last edited by Randy Aveline; 06-12-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added text

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat

Randy,
    Great pictures especially the last one of your newer Krier. Mike actually called me yesterday and as always its a couple hr conversation thats well worth it. The new design front was brought to light at a Title Series Metting doodling on paper by Mike years ago and has been the same since. The best video I have of Mike is Mike running his brother Rich's 500 yamato on a 250/350 boat and is it moving. Rich owns the boat now and runs it in 250/350 only. This is the 1st boat of this design he went to from the doodling.
    Todd

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd
    the pic of new (well 2006 new to me } Krier at zanesville we had a 4 blade prop on it and i never felt out of shape when i saw that picture i was surprised as it never felt like it was riding that high when i hit the wake that got it up some but felt stable all the while

interesting fact was the lower unit was fresh and at end of second heat was locked up turns out it was eating gb needle bearings that had vibrated down the drive shaft and got into drive shaft gear ate the lip off the bearing carrier and all needles were ground up in the gear lube SIGH imagine it it had not been that it might have been way faster for the win lolol took 3rd over all this was after being back for only 2 seasons from a 13 year lay off

guess i still got the knack now i just need the rt prop lolol
    regards
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture

Randy,
    I have only had one time when I was told I was that I should have went out in my Krier I didnt believe it until I seen the video. That picure of you is a great picture for sure. But what is great is that after 13 years off you still are right were you left off. Randy is that the same motor you ran back at Mtn Home just freshened up of course?
    Todd

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1100r View Post
    Randy,
    I have only had one time when I was told I was that I should have went out in my Krier I didnt believe it until I seen the video. That picure of you is a great picture for sure. But what is great is that after 13 years off you still are right were you left off. Randy is that the same motor you ran back at Mtn Home just freshened up of course?
    Todd
    Lucky or who knows lolol in 89 i never lost a heat in my hydro or my runabout it was my winning season dreamed of we ll almost

any way no that engine got sold in divorce sale and have never been able to locate it if i could i would get it back it won many many races for my father and manny manny nationals with he and me later on it was a 55-H i have recently found a block just like the 1 i had in 80.s and will have it together soon being bored now now i have 2 merc 500 44 C.I. engines for my 750 M Runabout now and another 500 block that is coming in lil by lil bored ported exhaust installed need err want to bevel another crank for it and need decent set of large wrist pin rods for a merc 44 C.I engine

any way when i get em done may race em or get my boy too maybe as im healing from arm surgery

regards
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor

I remember Lloyd telling us how fast the guys were back at the Nationals that year he 1st went back. I thought he was pretty fast with his rig as it was a very light boat with a stock 44 with pipes.
    A good friend and I were talking about races from years ago and I told him my best FER ride was driving Mike Lopez's boat and motor at one of our races. Would have been fun to run that rig more often.

Hope your arm gets better so you can get back to racing. My racing is done as Im still recouping from my 2nd spinal surgury in 10 months.

Thread Information