Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for D Utility-"ish" 16' Runabout Plans

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for D Utility-"ish" 16' Runabout Plans

Okay, so I just bought an inline 6 Merc Mark 78A that I'm going to restore. I want to build a low profile 16' plywood runabout to hang it on.
    I like the 16' Raveau, and would like to build something close to that but with a bow that's a little less blunt when viewed from the side. Something a little more like a Sid Craft, but retaining the sit down rather than kneel down interior configuration.

Picture something from the end of the wood era of California ski boats in the early '60s. Something that Patterson, or Wickens or Miller would have built had someone come to them asking for a 16' outboard hull.

Any ideas?

Eric

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently building 16` by 67" racing runabout replica for Force 4-cyl with Chrysler racing lu. Double chine hull was sketched by myself with some basic design input by Ralph De Silva. Hull frames have been set up, Spruce for laminating longitudinals will be delivered today. Can give you frame contours or table, plus scantlings. Dimensions are sort of bastardized - sort of inches converted to mm. E-mail me at wbarthel@tubular.co.za or wbarthel@mweb.co.za. Rgds, Wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like

Glen L had/has a 16' outboard ski boat plans, called "Stiletto" they may still have those available, it was a "california style" ski boat from the 60's. I had/have those plans somewhere (maybe) I would have to search for a while to see if I still have them. Quicker yet search Glen L boat plans.
    Here's a link
    https://www.boatdesigns.com/16-Stile.../products/361/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: D Uitility"ish" 16 ft plans

If you go to Boatsport.org there are PDF files of most of Hal Kelly's raceboat designs. You can download the PDF files of any design, take it to a commercial printer and have him scale up the full size patterns by whatever percentage is necessary to get to your 16 ft desired length.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Joe Jet"

Try "Joe Jet" 13' boat plans from "Svenson's Free Boat Plans. Could be stretched to 16'.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/JetJoe

Good Luck...............
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dean Hobart

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat plans

Wow, the bow of the Joe Jet is a perefct copy of the Sid Crafts from the 50's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default b

bye

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Copy

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Wow, the bow of the Joe Jet is a perefct copy of the Sid Crafts from the 50's.

John,

I wonder who copied who......... William D. Jackson was a very good naval architect.
    Dean Hobart

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Plans

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    John,

I wonder who copied who......... William D. Jackson was a very good naval architect.
    I had known Sid from 1953 up through the 70's having raced his first 3 point hydro that he built for me in 1956 and his first tunnel that he built for me & team T*A*R*T & my father raced his first runabout with a KE7 in 1948. Because of this & having seen his boats through the years & that he was an engineer in the then air craft industry with many innovations, I can attest that that bow & shape of his boat was his. Sid would never copy as many did including Kelly. When Sid went to the 1955 Devils Lake nationals with Johnny Wehrle where Johnny was soundly beat by the Caulkins boats, Sid came home & immediately re-designed the bath tub runabout & thus is when the first Hornet came out. That test boat became my brothers. Even the Hornet had bow lines as the earlier boats did, but didn't look anything like the Caulkins. Thereafter the Sid's could beat the Caulkins as I believe Lee Sutter even had a Sid. In 1959 Johnny Schedel went to the nationals in your area, can't remember the exact place and won in "DU" with a Hornet.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curbman View Post
    My dad built 3 of these, I still have the original plans. I have copied them.
    I like this hull. How long is it, and could it handle a Mark 78A?

Eric

Thread Information