Thread: In search of S. C. Busby - South Texas Boat Racing Association - circa 1961

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In search of S. C. Busby - South Texas Boat Racing Association - circa 1961

Greetings. My dad (Joe Bill Wilt) used to race runabouts and hydros from about 1953 - 1961ish in the Lake Austin/Lake Travis area in Texas. My brother and I have several of his smaller trophies. However, after my brother died, I received a trophy that was in my dad's collection. However, I don't think it is his. The plate on the trophy is listed as "S.T.B.R.A., S. C. Busby, 1961, High Point - "D" Mod. Runabout, Courtesy of Pearl Brewery".

I believe the boat racer was someone named S. C. Busby from the South Texas Boat Racing Association. I haven't been able to find this person. And, I don't think STBRA is in existence. All I get are hits on South Texas Barrel Racing Association.

Does anyone know who this S. C. Busby might be? If so, I would like to send the trophy to his family instead of throwing it away. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes ClayT, Wiltshire liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of STBRA, but I know a couple of guys who might have. I will give them a call to see if they have any information to help.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

S.C. Busby has been found! I tried a Google search on S.C. Busby and STBRA and all I got was a hit for "Sue Busby" and the South Texas Barrel Racing Association. That's NOT what I was looking for. So, I tried a rather simple search of "S. Busby", "Boat racing", and "Texas." And, I finally got a hit. It was the obituary for Samuel Clarence Busby aka S.C. Busby. See the obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...d=27302907.The obituary showed that he was a boat dealer (Busby Marine in Kingsland, TX for 50 years) AND that he was a boat racer. I then did searches on his children (listed in the obit) and finally found one of his daughters and through, searchpeoplefree.com, found an address and a phone number. I called her and told who I was and that this trophy belonged to her dad - it did! How it came to my dad's possession (and later passed on to my brother) I have no idea. His daughter was floored that I had her dad's trophy. Now, I told her, I will mail it to her or would deliver it in person. Turns out she lives about 3 hours from me in the Austin, TX area. So, 64 years later, she and her brother will be re-united with their dad's trophy.
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JBW857;159582So, 64 years later, she and her brother will be re-united with their dad's trophy.[/QUOTE]

Great outcome...........job well done !!!

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, that is one of the coolest story I have ever heard. Congratulations.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NOA Speed Record Holders

I was viewing another boat racing website called the "The Official Quincy Looper Website" (http://www.quincylooperracing.us/index.html). In it are great pictures of outboard motor racing. I saw some photos of Raymond Jeffries, Clayton Elmer and Bruce Nicholson to name a few. I came across a page circa 1961 entitled "NOA Straight-A-Way Records - Professional (1 Mile) and guess what I saw...an entry for S.C. Busby as a D runabout speed record set in 1961...the same year of the trophy I had for him. See attached photo. He is listed second from the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes ClayT liked this post

Thread Information