Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
Lake Saguaro, Phoenix, Arizona: Russ Hill Led Hugh Entrop

I wasn't old enough to drive "Alkies" in '57, but I went with my brother and John Drake to the race at Lake Saguaro. The Arizona Navy always paid good money to race and many a top driver showed up as a result. Also, "Step Up's were legal. So, my brother "Stepped Up" with his C Hydro into F Hydro. There was no D Hydro in those days. My brother got a good start, for once, and was leading Hugh on the first lap. I think Hugh had held back as I think he was on his way home to Washington after setting a record, because Jack Leek was there with his Cabover C Mercury (Alky burning). Jack didn't "Step Up". Anyway Hugh's throttle wire broke and he never passed my brother in this heat. My brother won F Hydro but ran second to Leek in C Hydro. Fun weekend.

Not to cause an argument, but my brother beat Hugh Entrop at Lake Saguaro, 1957. Hugh broke a throttle wire. But my brother was ahead at the time.

Also, around this time my dad helped Pep Hubbell for years. I know my dad went back farther, but I remember listen to the 1950 Indy 500, at Pep's shop.

My dad was a painter contractor by trade but he made many patterns for Pep. In fact, he traded a KR "A" lower unit pattern for my first bicycle in 1950. Pep got his name because he rode his bicycle to work. For many years he was the Senior Olympic Champion in the Hammer Throw.

My dad's patterns mahogany and spackle....

I recently got this "Match Plate" from Karl Williams who purchased most of Pep's patterns. I am reasonably sure this "Match Plate" was used for the Starflite or Star Fire Record.

Doc C.W. Jones did so much for OMC racing and more than a ton for my racing career.
No argument at all. Was a kid. But I remember Hugh was revered in my family. He helped me build a model airplane with which I actually won a "rat racing" contest. .29 Dueling motor among a lot of Fox 35's. Hope to post some old photos I have when I find them.