Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
At DePue, 1966, I was half a lap a head of the second place A Runabout when I broke a rod and flipped. Dave Christner begged Carl Meyers for our props. He said, "Any prop that would push that 250 pounder than fast, will push me too." Carl didn't sell him the prop. Our "REBUILT" LOOPER had the new rods...

Anyone ever figure ut why the "A" Looper was so fast and the "B" Looper wasn't much better than the "A"???

Hell, MY Quincy "A" which had been Carl Meyers' was faster than Harry Bartolomei's "B" Looper. Harry ran a pint of degummed castor oil to five gallons of methanol. We ran a quart of Bakers "AA" castor oil to five gallon of methanol. Any thoughts about this??

Also, my dad liked to run the compression ratio up......

What ever happened to the Quincy Looper paterns???
Well, looking at the following pics of the block prototype, it did not look like a carefully thought out design. The probable reason why it wasn't faster was likely because the exhaust ports were facing against one another, and all that will do is to expose opposing piston skirts to a un-necessary blast of direct exhaust heat. It could have caused unwanted friction from expansion and/or may have burned away needed lubrication as well if run lean. Quincy did well back then in the larger 30-40+cid classes until the opposed four cylinder 500-700cc konigs came around, but Konig and Anzani seemed like better engines in the two cylinder "A" and "B" classes "early on" probably because of better exhaust port arrangement at least. Even the simple stock based Alky A-B mercs could just about equal them at times.