PDA

View Full Version : 3 cyl Merc 40

Pages : [1] 2

HGipson
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Well I finally got rid of the Etec and got my hands on a 04 Merc 40 to build up. Motor was in excellent shape and had 135 lbs compression on all three jugs. I'm getting alot of help from a few buddies and members on here on set up thank The Lord. My question is what degree are most of y'all runnin in timing ? This motor will be sent to Hydrotec this week for porting, honing, rings, intake, reeds, etc. I'm cutting the tuner and putting a bell in the end. Got all the parts I need on the way. Any info on the timing would be appreciated

pdt
09-18-2013, 04:49 AM
You realy did not like the E-tec did you ?

if this motor has good compression and in good condition, why all the work like rings , honing, and porting etc..
reeds will not make much difference at all, and the high performance ones just break all the time.

Will you be using nitrous oxide to run the engine as well ?
I see the only reason that most of the 3 cylinder mercs are fast on here is due to the NOS being widely used to gain high performance.

pdt
09-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Are you saying you don't use NOS to gain your high revs and speeds ?

HGipson
09-18-2013, 07:01 AM
The Etec was a very good engine. It was reliable, and moderately fast. Very good for loads and pulling. But it had 2.67 gear ratio and weighed 250 lbs. For a duck boat being used in the woods that's not a good combo. I needed some more speed, lighter weight engine, that I can work on and one that doesn't have sensors all over it to go bad, or trip while I'm 5-10 miles out in the middle of the swamp. I'm not looking to race at all. I know that a few of these guys run 60 shots of NOS to hit 8000+ rpm but that wouldn't work well where Im at! Lol. Either way I've got buddies that have these engines ported and rigged out by Hydrotec marine, along with carbs, reeds, tuner work, etc that are running 60-65 mph on 15' duck boats and haven't had any issues at all with reed breakage, or engine malfunction. Tuned and ported like mine will be, these are very reliable engines from what I've seen and you get 10-15 mph gain over stock. That would have been impossible with the Etec.

HGipson
09-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Don't know how I closed the thread the other day guess it was an accident. Back to the subject though. I've got my Merc power head sent to Hydrotec yest. Got the motor out back together and cleaned up ready for it when it's done. I've got an old style Mercury Vengeance prop I had on my old 4 cyl 50 I'm wanting to change the pitch and cupping a bit. Looking for a good prop guy to send it to. I can cup it myself but would rather someone balance it and get it right. Just wanted to throw out a big thanks to a few members and friends on here for the help and advice on this project!

Riverrat001
09-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Are you saying you don't use NOS to gain your high revs and speeds ?

The nos doesn't add much to my top end it just helps it get there faster. I can run 70 without nos with my merc

pdt
09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Have any of these 70mph plus boats been officially ratified ?
what means do you use to calculate the speeds of 70 mph ?

HGipson
09-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Old philjack done got a new name! PDT. Know I know who you are. Most of these guys boats will run between 60-85 mph w these 40 Merc on there. 59 cubic inches and turning 8000 rpm will do it. Not really posting this thread to gear a bunch of BS about these motors. I'm fixing to have one and I don't care how fast it goes I love a Mercury outboard. I posted this to learn from these guys cause they are the pioneers and experts on the subject. I like to know as much as they'll let me in case there's something I've missed or may have problems with in the future.

pdt
09-29-2013, 05:46 PM
I like the mercury engines too, had a couple of the merc triples, had a 4 cylinder 80,a 4 cylinder 50, 125hp and still got a little 4hp too, but' that's a tohatsu just mercury badged.
if I had money to buy a brand new engine I would buy the mercury engine for sure, always liked them and easy to get spares in the uk
I got nothing against mercury and nothing against people going fast as they can, just asked if the speed has been verified and how they do it.
some guys use a gps, some use a radar gun and some use measured time and distance etc. maybe these guys have been timed at official races ? i don't know that's why i asked.
often wondered about using radar gun, must be better than a gps .

you seem to be very much on the offensive when a question is asked for some reason.

HGipson
09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
I've seen GPS and I'm sure these guys have times laps and average speeds up and down. Not getting offensive just have heard alot of grief about these motors and even gave a little myself when I first heard of them. I didn't think it was possible to turn one of these motors into a monster but I've seen and heard em run and I can't wait till mine is going! I just remembered I'd talked to you before when I saw you use to have a diff username

HGipson
09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Has anyone vented the exhaust above water on these motors with any improvements in performance? I've seen some guys drill the mid and sides of mid just above Cav plate. Just trying to get all I can out of this motor and keep it reliable enough to hunt/fish with. Thanks to anyone offering help. This motor will be on a 1648 War Eagle so there won't be any racing for this guy unless its duck hunting spots

pdt
09-30-2013, 04:49 AM
I asked same question about vents
interesting answers

omcstratos
09-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Has anyone vented the exhaust above water on these motors with any improvements in performance? I've seen some guys drill the mid and sides of mid just above Cav plate. Just trying to get all I can out of this motor and keep it reliable enough to hunt/fish with. Thanks to anyone offering help. This motor will be on a 1648 War Eagle so there won't be any racing for this guy unless its duck hunting spots

We have drilled one out when we put a bob's lwp on. I think it was a 3/4 in hole with a hole saw. We didn't have any speed gains, just had to re-jet cause it went a little lean. I made a plug with some washers and a bolt to sandwich from both sides of the case that covers the hole so we don't make as much noise going to our duck spot at 4am.

pdt
09-30-2013, 05:07 PM
"I made a plug with some washers and a bolt to sandwich from both sides of the case that covers the hole so we don't make as much noise going to our duck spot at 4am"

Brilliant idea, nice simple way to utilise the sound deadening effect of the thru hub, pure ingenuity.
well done that man, gives me an idea to play with now

fs5
10-01-2013, 12:26 AM
hi mate ,if your buzzing your engine past 6000rpm you will gain 50/100rpm.anything below that you will be hard pressed to tell the diff.
the more rpms your doin the better it helps.
theres no better sound then a merc triple with a drilled lower.

omcstratos
10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
theres no better sound then a merc triple with a drilled lower.

You got that right!

MWhite
10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Have any of these 70mph plus boats been officially ratified ?
what means do you use to calculate the speeds of 70 mph ?

Ratified. Why hell yea,,, several times,,, all the time,, on several occasions.

MWhite
10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
You got that right!

Sounds like its got a big cam in it.

omcstratos
10-01-2013, 08:40 AM
We have drilled one out when we put a bob's lwp on. I think it was a 3/4 in hole with a hole saw. We didn't have any speed gains, just had to re-jet cause it went a little lean. I made a plug with some washers and a bolt to sandwich from both sides of the case that covers the hole so we don't make as much noise going to our duck spot at 4am.

Did my picture work. I don't know why but I seem to be incompetent at uploading pics...

pdt
10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
How the hell do you hang on to a tiller at 70mph

what a ride that must be

omcstratos
10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Did my picture work. I don't know why but I seem to be incompetent at uploading pics...
Finally figured it out

Fast Fred
10-05-2013, 07:07 AM
it has been said that she will benefit from the exhaust re leaf, they was talkin biger than this, two holes each side.

ima75man
10-05-2013, 09:26 AM
good looking gear case

omcstratos
10-05-2013, 11:54 AM
it has been said that she will benefit from the exhaust re leaf, they was talkin biger than this, two holes each side.
Prob will open them up eventually, but was in a hurry to put the case in the water and see how the bob's lwp worked.

good looking gear case
Preciate it.

pdt
10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Very nice

would you say it was worth the cost for the performance gain ?
has the water pressure increased a lot ?

it definitely looks very good and worth every dollar for the looks alone.

is this welded nose cone or epoxied ? looks like a proper factory gearbox now.

HGipson
10-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I may end up putting one in mine just for the heck of it. May help out a little but would def make it sound better!

HGipson
10-05-2013, 04:17 PM
My motor should be running next wkd. Prolly see me in the obituary the day I run it haha

omcstratos
10-05-2013, 05:12 PM
My motor should be running next wkd. Prolly see me in the obituary the day I run it haha

Well I call dibs on your fresh Hydrotec powerhead!!

HGipson
10-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Well I call dibs on your fresh Hydrotec powerhead!!

Hahaha it prolly won't be in any better shape than me ! Lol

Fastjeff57
10-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Where is the "small but vented" exhaust in that photo?

Curious.

Jeff

HGipson
10-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Looks like its right above the Cav plat right behind the water tube on the new foot which is bada$$ by the way! May add a 1" hole to mine make it louder don't care too much about gaining any out of it. Already gonna be like daylight and dark difference between the new motor and my Etec I had!

omcstratos
10-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Where is the "small but vented" exhaust in that photo?

Curious.

Jeff

Are you saying its too small to see it?? lol

HGipson
10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
What degree timing are most if y'all running? Max advance or stock factory?
timing?

Fast Fred
10-07-2013, 05:07 AM
timin , if your spinin to the rev-limiter stock settin is good, past like 5800rpms to much timin is goin to clip the piston crown at the exhaust port window, she will stick the top ring and it's over, done, last. the more timin the harder she will pull, but you need to pull the timin back as she passes 5800rpms or she will fight her self and melt down. there are ways to get max advance at low rpms and dump off timin as she revs up............

HGipson
10-07-2013, 05:34 AM
timin , if your spinin to the rev-limiter stock settin is good, past like 5800rpms to much timin is goin to clip the piston crown at the exhaust port window, she will stick the top ring and it's over, done, last. the more timin the harder she will pull, but you need to pull the timin back as she passes 5800rpms or she will fight her self and melt down. there are ways to get max advance at low rpms and dump off timin as she revs up............

FF - Can you clear a spot in your Inbox thanks man

HankFrazier
10-07-2013, 11:30 AM
timing?
the 59cid mercs don't like advanced timing they perform well up to 7800 rpm with stock timing.

MWhite
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
timing?

Stock.

HGipson
10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Appreciate the advice y'all this is my first rodeo on the 59 ci and hopefully my last for a while. Hope it all works out good my powerhead shipped this way today so hopefully I'll have her ginning by the wkd

MWhite
10-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Appreciate the advice y'all this is my first rodeo on the 59 ci and hopefully my last for a while. Hope it all works out good my powerhead shipped this way today so hopefully I'll have her ginning by the wkd

That was fast. lol

HankFrazier
10-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Jon builds fast motors jetting is very important on how the motor will perform. their reeds are also worth spending the money on. If you are assembling it yourself clean it with soap and water real good before putting it back together. also if you removed the rods change the rod bolts.

HGipson
10-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Jon builds fast motors jetting is very important on how the motor will perform. their reeds are also worth spending the money on. If you are assembling it yourself clean it with soap and water real good before putting it back together. also if you removed the rods change the rod bolts.

I had Jon disassemble, port/bp work, honed cylinders new rings, replaced on piston that was scored a bit, and Hydrotec reeds/60 reed stops, intake work and put powerhead all back together for me. I didn't have time to do it and I haven't ever gutted one of these particular powerheads. The motor was an ELPTO 40 2004 model. I ordered all new tiller, gear shift, remote key and trim switches and everything else it needed the day I picked it up. Its in really good shape from what I have seen. After I sent off the powerhead I cut and welded the tuner up, gutted the cowling and drilled holes in back handle for more air, new water pump while I was at it and all the other little minor stuff y'all and a friend of mine on here have helped me out with ( which I really appreciate ). Got it all back together back to how it should be and just waiting on my powerhead to be here next day or so. I've got 60 carbs with .062 jets I put in em the other day and .060 jets to put in and try. Got .090 idle circuit air jet. Got a mercury thermostat kit (110 or 120 can't remember) on the way for this cold water. It's going on a 1648 War Eagle plain old duck boat to run the boat trails on the swamp with so it won't be at any races hopefully it lasts a long time or it'll prolly cause a divorce in the Gipson household!! Lol. I've had a lot of help from all of y'all and I appreciate it. If there's any other small tinkering I can do to get everything just right or I've got something wrong feel free to let me know I'm never to good to listen and take y'all's advice. Y'all are the kings of the Merc 40's!!!

omcstratos
10-08-2013, 09:58 PM
post a first startup when you get it back together. Looking forward to see how it runs

HGipson
10-08-2013, 10:23 PM
post a first startup when you get it back together. Looking forward to see how it runs

I'll try... All depending on if it starts on or not! Haha. Hopefully it all works out man I'm all on on this motor already my wife would make me suck start a 12 gauge if there's any major problems! Been hounding me ever since I sold that brand new motor to buy an older one to fix up! Lol

fs5
10-08-2013, 11:07 PM
hi mate,i've got a stock 59ci 55 merc,i run my timin at 25* ,I think stock is 24*.the mercs cdi takes timing out once the motor hits 5000rpms ,I can't remember if it takes 2 or 4* of advance out of it.
you must be makin some good power to run .062 jets. my motor came with .058 from the factory ,now runnin .056 in it .
is 135lb comp standard for the 40 mercs? my motor was 120lb when it was new ,now it only pumps around 112/113..
what do you guys do to get more comp out of them.

HGipson
10-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Man that's what my compression tool said it was a brand new one just got. Tested the com tool against air compressor pressure (120) and it read perfect so it shoulda been right. I thought they had around 140 from factory new but I might be wrong. My 25 Mercury I rebuilt last year had 140 on both cyl after we honed, new rings and broke it in. Still got around high 130's a year later. They say these motors don't do well with raising compression a lot. Some guys are using nitrous I don't know how long the motors last/run but of I had the money I'd have me some NoS too!! Yeah I think I'm gonna leave the timing alone for now. These motors will supposedly burn all the fuel the .062 will push through the 60 carbs with the way it's opened up now with intake, blue printing, and porting/polishing and tuner work. More air you can get through any motor the more fuel you can burn and more hp you can make if you got cooling under control and that's the beauty of outboards unlimited cooling!!

Riverrat001
10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
hi mate,i've got a stock 59ci 55 merc,i run my timin at 25* ,I think stock is 24*.the mercs cdi takes timing out once the motor hits 5000rpms ,I can't remember if it takes 2 or 4* of advance out of it.
you must be makin some good power to run .062 jets. my motor came with .058 from the factory ,now runnin .056 in it .
is 135lb comp standard for the 40 mercs? my motor was 120lb when it was new ,now it only pumps around 112/113..
what do you guys do to get more comp out of them.

I'm running .070 in mine. It's a little fat but it won't burn up that way

MWhite
10-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I had Jon disassemble, port/bp work, honed cylinders new rings, replaced on piston that was scored a bit, and Hydrotec reeds/60 reed stops, intake work and put powerhead all back together for me. I didn't have time to do it and I haven't ever gutted one of these particular powerheads. The motor was an ELPTO 40 2004 model. I ordered all new tiller, gear shift, remote key and trim switches and everything else it needed the day I picked it up. Its in really good shape from what I have seen. After I sent off the powerhead I cut and welded the tuner up, gutted the cowling and drilled holes in back handle for more air, new water pump while I was at it and all the other little minor stuff y'all and a friend of mine on here have helped me out with ( which I really appreciate ). Got it all back together back to how it should be and just waiting on my powerhead to be here next day or so. I've got 60 carbs with .062 jets I put in em the other day and .060 jets to put in and try. Got .090 idle circuit air jet. Got a mercury thermostat kit (110 or 120 can't remember) on the way for this cold water. It's going on a 1648 War Eagle plain old duck boat to run the boat trails on the swamp with so it won't be at any races hopefully it lasts a long time or it'll prolly cause a divorce in the Gipson household!! Lol. I've had a lot of help from all of y'all and I appreciate it. If there's any other small tinkering I can do to get everything just right or I've got something wrong feel free to let me know I'm never to good to listen and take y'all's advice. Y'all are the kings of the Merc 40's!!!

Ya'll get them 40s back togetther and running good and make a trip down here to south louisiana to sabine river and we will line them up.

MWhite
10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm running .070 in mine. It's a little fat but it won't burn up that way

yea but yours is hogged out dave,

HGipson
10-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Man I go her back together today and running ! Fired right up after I threw the new neutral start switch in the trash that came with the tiller kit. Don't know why I wasted my time puttin it on there knew I was gonna disable it anyway. Sounds awesome I haven't been around but one of these motors before I decided to get one and build it up. Couldn't figure out how to post a video off my phone though. Gonna mount it on the boat and tomorrow afternoon and if I get everything rigged up gonna go run er 25:1 break in. May stretch her out a bit this wkd

HGipson
10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Ya'll get them 40s back togetther and running good and make a trip down here to south louisiana to sabine river and we will line them up.

Mike that' be a waste of time for both of us! Haha my old duck boat won't keep up with much even with this motor on it! But I may eventually find me a jack plate and put it on my old 14 ft Monark flat bottom weighs about 175 lbs that would probably be a death trap! Lol

HGipson
10-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Well she did good on the maiden voyage/break in today. Never had a motor that even compares to this one. Easy to start, runs like a scalded ape and sounds like a Harley ! I don care how fast it ends up being it sounds good enough to make up for it! Thanks to all that pitched in a gave advice. Only problem I had today was the two bleeder hoses on the block behind the harness/starter had a split on the end and leaked a little fuel/oil but I got that fixed quick and she's ready to roll again hopefully!

pdt
10-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Glad to hear you have it all back and running sweet
but You should not know yet how quick it runs !!!!! needs a good amount of time running in,especially if had a few mods done too.
How long have you run the engine for ?
I was thinking this was fully rebuilt engine, and if so would need a good few hours before even attempting to open it up.

Unless the gearcase has been drilled it should not sound any different to any other mercury triple. if it sounds like a Harley its broke !!!!!

2 smokes never sound like 4 strokes

Glad it runs good for ya, now ya just need to go find the right prop for it.

have you got a jack plate for it ? is this a short shaft motor ?

nice to have a rebuilt engine that runs good from the word go, the mercs and omc triples always seem to start easy compared to the 4 bangers.
the 4 cylinder mercs ive had were pigs to start.
Now your a member of the black cat gang too.

wish I still had my merc 3 cylinder.
still got 2 decals for just incase I get another one ha ha

HGipson
10-13-2013, 07:29 AM
I haven't fully opened it up yet its got about 2-3 hrs on it of break in time and a tank of double oil gas through it. I'm gonna still take it easy for a while. It starts perfect everytime and never died once all afternoon yesterday. Just meant it sounds good. I cut and welded the tuner why it sounds the way it does. Doesn't sound any different than any of the videos I've seen though. I've got a few of the ole 4 cyl Merc classics I ran one of em for 10 years and it was always a little cold natured but would start right up the rest f the day. That old motor took me everywhere I wanted to go and never let me down though! And that's why all I've got is black motors today! I rebuilt my 25 Merc last spring and took it out for break in. Ran it about an hour up and down then I let her breath wide open. Didn't hurt a thing but this motor is fully built up besides fly wheel lightening (next), so I'm gonna take it easy for a little while. Right now the motor is running mounted on the back of the boat. Gonna get a break away CMC 130 and see how she does. Might eventually get a jack plate too but I'm not gonna get too crazy with it for a while

ima75man
10-13-2013, 08:36 AM
i hope you enjoy your hot rod merc, be safe and ride with a smile.

HGipson
10-13-2013, 09:38 AM
i hope you enjoy your hot rod merc, be safe and ride with a smile.

Don't know about the safe part but I will for sure be riding with a smile man! Thanks man. I never woulda thought these things would run like they do until you get one!

pdt
10-13-2013, 03:26 PM
when you say you can and welded the tuner, what exactly did you do ?
have you put a snout on it, or what ?

HGipson
10-13-2013, 03:50 PM
My bad I cut and welded the tuner. I opened mine up quite a but at the end may eventually do it different but I did it like a few guys told me and it seems to har worked real good so far

pdt
10-14-2013, 05:30 AM
what exactly are you talking about ?
what end did you open up a bit ?
how does it now fit etc
or do you mean taken material away from inside the tuner ?

I realy have no idea as to what you have done, not read about cutting it at all.

But it seems like you are going to end up with a very fast boat and finally be a very happy chappie.
after all this work you deserve to have what you want.

keep up the good work and post a few pictures

HGipson
10-14-2013, 07:26 AM
I cut the length of the tuner down and welded a bell to the end. I may eventually cut it off and try something else but it's got so much torque and hp more than anything else I've ever had its unbelievable! If I could figure out how to post a video I'd show you. Its on a 1648 War Eagle duck boat with me (250) and a buddy (215) and you have to hold on when you take off or it would leave without you. My ole Etec 60 I was complaining about on here would take it a few seconds to get on plane finally break that nose down from the extra weight (Etec 250 lbs vs Merc 200lbs) and go. There really is no comparison between the two. And I haven't even gotten on it all the way still breaking it in ! I did remove a little bit of material from the exhaust plate and kind of straightened out the flow pattern a bit. There were some rough casting marks inside of it so I took those out with my die grinder and smoothed down to 1200 grit sand paper. Feels like glass. Then after I bolted the tuner back onto the plate I took and polished the joint where they met and shaved the extra gasket that was hanging out inside. I guess you would say I ported the tuner a little bit just to smooth the exhaust gas flow like you would on anything else. Any rough edges/cast marks were removed. Might not have helped much if any but I was just tinkering with it. I'm beyond a proud owner of this new Merc "40" and can't wait for duck season !

HGipson
10-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Are there any tachs better than the Tiny Tach rigs for these motors? Haven't decided what I'm gonna get and don't really know what everyone else is running on theirs

MWhite
10-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Are there any tachs better than the Tiny Tach rigs for these motors? Haven't decided what I'm gonna get and don't really know what everyone else is running on theirs

Get u a regular 8 grand tack, mercury has them, there around 70 to 80 dollars but there good,,,,, get away from tiny tacks.

HGipson
10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Mike how do they hook up? You wouldn't happen to have a part number for those would ya? Thanks man

Nason
10-14-2013, 10:43 AM
do you have a pull start or a electric start. If you have electric start , take the gray wire from your regulator connect it to the signal on the tach, take a black wire connect it from battery negative to the ground on back of tack, take a red wire connect it to a toggle switch 1 leg to positive on battery 1 leg to power on tach

MWhite
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Mike how do they hook up? You wouldn't happen to have a part number for those would ya? Thanks man

I hook mind up kinda like nason said, except i run the wires on the inside of the cowling, gray wire off regulator gos to the signal on tach, black wire from tach i ground to block, and the red wire i run from the hot side of the solenoid to toggle switch and the other leg gos to tach. both ways will work.

HGipson
10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Haven't had much luck finding a part number for that 8k tach. Found several 7k but only one used 8k. Appreciate the info on install. Once I find one it will be easy to set up w the info y'all have. Is there any gain by increasing the spark plug gap from the stock .040 to .045 or .050 or does it make a difference? Stock spark plugs or more expensive ones? I know that some info on these motors has to come from school of hard knocks (figuring it out the hard way). Just trying to figure out anything obvious that I have missed. Thanks yall

fs5
10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
high mate,i've played with a couple of plugs.the best I've tried was ngk br8eix these are the iridium style plug,the standard ones are b8eg .these are an extended version of the bp8hn10.i ran mine with a couple of old plug washers on them so they didn't go to far into the block.i gained about 80/100 rpm not much... it didn't ping and it started strait awayand ran fine.
I havn't tried changing the gap on any plugs yet.will be interesting to see what it dose.
another tip you can try is cutting 3 blades of your water pump impelor,it gives you a bit better excellaration if your into that.

HGipson
10-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Finally let her breathe a little bit yesterday. Borrowed two props from a buddy of mine. One was a Yam Black Stainless 16" pitch other was a Ron Hill 18" semi cleaver. The Yam had a better hole shot which I figured from the nature of the prop but the RH/Signature also ran very good. Didn't have my GPS when I ran the RH but I know it was a tad over 50 mph (1648 War Eagle and me 260lbs). I got the Yam black SS up to 50 in some choppy water going up stream into the wind. I've got to get some set back and possibly some transom wedges to override the 20% Merc max trim angle. Every time I would catch a little choppy water the front would raise a little and I would gain more speed. Once I get that all figured out Ill post some more results. Going to try to find a bow lifter Merc chopper prop to try and see if a little bow lift brings this ole duck boat to life before though. Don't want much more than 5-6" of setback the tiller won't be handy to get ahold of then. But on a funny note... The plug test was almost a Greek Tragedy! I got that Merc would out and for some stupid reason let go of the boat to grab the kill lanyard and jerk. Well that baby did a Hail Mary looking back the other direction like a Ranger Bass Boat commercial !!! Just glad the motor died or it would have left me there in the middle of White River!! But on a positive note the plug test showed good color so she's burning clean ready for some more abuse!

omcstratos
10-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Lets see some video!

HGipson
10-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Man I haven't figured out how to post any videos yet. Guess I'm technologically impaired when it comes to posting vids on here ! Lol. Somebody wants me to text a few to them they are more than welcome to post. Not anything special to y'all I don't figure my boat is still 15-20 mph slower than any of the vids I've seen of the SRG or Bog boys but its a rocket for around here duck hunting anyway! Any way to get more pos trim by moving the factory trim unit up into one of the other four bolt holes or trim wedges my only good option? Either way will work for me

Cajun Special
10-22-2013, 02:42 PM
This is the tach I put on my rig. Fed up with tiny tach

omcstratos
10-22-2013, 03:19 PM
spend what's left over from hydrotec on a livorsi 8k mini tach.
http://www.livorsi.com/images/catalog/dc/dc8000.gif

ok apparently they don't make one for a 3cyl

Cajun Special
10-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Doesn't necessarily have to be for 3cyl. 40 3 cylinder 2 stroke has the same ignition pulses as a 6cyl 4stroke. If there's a 6 pole setting on the tach you would put it on "6p." But some tachs have a 12p setting which makes things simpler. Since the 40's have a 12 pole alternator.

Cajun Special
10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Gaining more speed when hittin choppy water. That was my issue for awhile. I suggest and what helped me was movin ur center of gravity back(more setback). I've got a Bobs 5 degree wedge, atlas micro jacker and a bobs SB4. Went from 42 to 49mph. Now I'm waitin on my motor to get back from bein ported.55206

HGipson
10-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Nice! That's all good info to know. I've got a couple multi meters that have an rpm setting but one only had 4,5,6,& 8 cyl options so I may try one of them temporarily just to kinda see what I get. Cajun - I'm going to get a 5.5" set back CMC BA 130 (break away plate/kick up plate) that should help a little and a buddy had some transom wedges (Bobs 5 degree) that I'm putting on tomorrow. Yeah yest everytime I hit a little choppy water it would really start to gain speed. Wind was blowing down river and my boat was faster going upstream/into the wind than it was downstream which tells me right off the bat that I needed more trim. I'm isong a low rake prop semi cleaver yam style prop so I'm not getting a lot of bow lift there or any at all so I'm relying on my trim to compensate. Hopefully I'll get the wedges on tomorrow sometime and try em out. Will post results. Gonna check my compression again tomorrow as well after I run it a little. Yest cold after I broke it in a week ago, it was still a little higher on my top cylinder that the piston was replaced in. Middle and bottom cylinder were right around 122-125 range and the top was around 130. Rings may not have fully seated yet but I stretched it put a little more yest so maybe they're righ now!

Cajun Special
10-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I had the cmc 5.5" manual jack when I was runnin 42. When I got out there to 8" is when I really gained. I'm 250 and my boat is a 1651 75" beam. Stock motor other than 60 carbs/timing. But I'll be getting her back in a week or 2 done up!! Yea, lemme know how urs does

HGipson
10-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I hope to get a few more mph out of it and I'll be happy man. This thing starts up just as easy as my old Etec did and runs good so I couldn't ask for any more. Going to try the setback and trim wedges and see how she find then. My boat isn't real all that heavy less than 400 lbs anyway so it should get up and go with a little more trim

Cajun Special
10-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Sounds awesome for not bein on a hose. Mean sounding. Can't wait to leave key west and go home and run her!!!! Been patiently waitin!!!

HGipson
10-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Sounds awesome for not bein on a hose. Mean sounding. Can't wait to leave key west and go home and run her!!!! Been patiently waitin!!!
Man that does sound mean! Where did you get your porting work done at?

Nason
10-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Cajun special it sound nice

Cajun Special
10-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys. My friend in Little rock did it for me

HGipson
10-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys. My friend in Little rock did it for me

That the one Brandon did?

Cajun Special
10-26-2013, 02:19 PM
I hook mind up kinda like nason said, except i run the wires on the inside of the cowling, gray wire off regulator gos to the signal on tach, black wire from tach i ground to block, and the red wire i run from the hot side of the solenoid to toggle switch and the other leg gos to tach. both ways will work.

What setting y'all using on back of y'all's tach?

Nason
10-27-2013, 04:56 AM
6 pulse

HGipson
10-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Going to add some set back and trim wedges sometime in the next week or so and see how she does. Still trying to decide on a prop though haven't made up my mind if a thru hub or over hub would better for this set up.

Cajun Special
10-31-2013, 10:00 PM
How much more set back u gonna go with? Did u say u have 5.5" now? I do have a set of bobs 2" spacers and some wedges id prolly sale

HGipson
10-31-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't have any setback yet I've just been trying it out mounted on the transom Cav plate about 1" high. Gonna try 5.5" first and raise the Cav plate about 2.75-3" above the bottom. I'm looking to get some wedges this coming week what are the spacers ?

pdt
11-04-2013, 05:50 PM
think youl need to go up atleast 5 inches if using a setback of 5 inches.
Ive put a setback of 5 inches on and gone up 7 inch from transom bottom to cav plate and will be trying that.

Most of the guys on here are running short shaft engines on setback and still raise them up, so that's atleast 5 or 6 inch from the bottom.
I need to see what mine is going to be like, but I think I might need another 2 inches of setback.
problem is will the transoms take the extra leverage that 5 inch back puts on the transom ? its like adding an extra 100 pounds in weight
when going back that far.

hope you get some good results with yours, need to compare the speeds with same prop, and watch the water pressure stays good.

what is the max hp rating for your boat ?
and why do you need the wedges ? wont the trim be enough ?

HankFrazier
11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
think youl need to go up atleast 5 inches if using a setback of 5 inches.
Ive put a setback of 5 inches on and gone up 7 inch from transom bottom to cav plate and will be trying that.

Most of the guys on here are running short shaft engines on setback and still raise them up, so that's atleast 5 or 6 inch from the bottom.
I need to see what mine is going to be like, but I think I might need another 2 inches of setback.
problem is will the transoms take the extra leverage that 5 inch back puts on the transom ? its like adding an extra 100 pounds in weight
when going back that far.

hope you get some good results with yours, need to compare the speeds with same prop, and watch the water pressure stays good.

what is the max hp rating for your boat ?
and why do you need the wedges ? wont the trim be enough ?
on my flat bottom i run 5 inches back and the center of prop shaft even with bottom of boat

HGipson
11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Yeah I won't have a low water pickup so Ill be running mine buried. Mid 50's is all I'm after anyway but one day I might find another motor and go a little wilder with! PDT my hp rating on my boat is 40-70 so I'm legally under that with the "40" I've got in there. This boat is a 1648 so I need a little more than the 20 degrees by the angle the transom is on the boats. I'm going to buy a CMC kick plate BA-130 and make some stops for it to add the neutral trim angle I'm needing instead of trim wedges which would do the same thing. Just less parts between the motor and the transom the better when your jumping beaver dams and logs

pdt
11-14-2013, 07:34 PM
20 degree is plenty, why would you want the engine running with it pointing towards the sky ?
engines go faster when the shaft is running level with the surface of the water, no way is that engine going to be NOT level on just the trim.

and you don't have a 40hp, as soon as you opened it up it became the 60hp engine again, the 40's are only 60hp engines detuned.
I only asked what the boat was rated for as for strain on the transom with the weight and the extra strain with a setback.
by having just 5 inches of setback is like adding another 50 pound to the boat due to leverage of the setback.
but if its rated for upto 70hp then it should be just about on its limit with the setback. you have to remember that engines is no lightweight for a 60hp.
the merc triples are in the 240 pound bracket, then you have the weight of setback, and even the wedges if you fit them.

going up 5 inches will not affect the water pick up from ive been told on this and the other forums, will know for sure soon as im going up by 6" from the bottom to
run the propshaft 1 inch below the bottom of boat, there is a few on here that run even higher without low water pick ups ..

don't your motor have power trim n tilt already built in ?

Merc50
11-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Transom shouldn't be a problem, I run 12" back and have not seen anything to make me worry about the added leverage. You can run that thing way up when you get it back some, best thing to do would be get a water pressure gauge and start jacking her on up

omcstratos
11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah just keep jacking up till your w/press gauge tells you otherwise. I've plugged the upper half of my intake and still get 20psi at WOT. I have the propshaft running about 1.75" below the transom and still got to play around with props to get some rpms up higher. I wish I had a go-pro, I would post a video.

Also, that's a solid boat right there. That's on my wish list lol. How's it run?

HGipson
11-14-2013, 11:02 PM
20 degree is plenty, why would you want the engine running with it pointing towards the sky ?
engines go faster when the shaft is running level with the surface of the water, no way is that engine going to be NOT level on just the trim.

and you don't have a 40hp, as soon as you opened it up it became the 60hp engine again, the 40's are only 60hp engines detuned.
I only asked what the boat was rated for as for strain on the transom with the weight and the extra strain with a setback.
by having just 5 inches of setback is like adding another 50 pound to the boat due to leverage of the setback.
but if its rated for upto 70hp then it should be just about on its limit with the setback. you have to remember that engines is no lightweight for a 60hp.
the merc triples are in the 240 pound bracket, then you have the weight of setback, and even the wedges if you fit them.

going up 5 inches will not affect the water pick up from ive been told on this and the other forums, will know for sure soon as im going up by 6" from the bottom to
run the propshaft 1 inch below the bottom of boat, there is a few on here that run even higher without low water pick ups ..

don't your motor have power trim n tilt already built in ?

My motor weighs about 195 lbs. Says 204 on the serial tag and that was before I chunked the oil injection, carb cover, and gutted the cowling and a few other little parts that weren't needed anymore. Way lighter than 240 lbs my old Etec weighed 247 and was almost impossible to pick up by hand and mount. This motor was light enough to pick it up and stick the bolts in it no problem. Way lighter and over 10 mph faster right off the bat. 5" of setback isn't going to hurt this boat its .100 gauge all welded aluminum and I added 1/2" X 6" alumnium flat stock bolted to the transom across the back inside the boat the bolts go through. This motor should be turning well over 60 hp with what alls been done to it. Didn't take it as far as it would go but its plenty far enough for what I'll be doing and it'll last.

HGipson
11-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I may have already asked this but for some of y'all that have chimed in later, what are y'all running as far as timing is concerned. Won't be turning over 7000 much if at all on this motor. Has Hydrotec reeds, Hydrotec porting work, 60 carbs, no oil injection, gutted cowling, no rev limiter, cut tuner w bell added, 1:83 gears and a few other small things. Haven't lightened the flywheel yet. On a 1648 War Eagle boat weighs about 360-375 lbs. No set back yet still working on that. Some guys have told me to advance the timing and some have said not to so I haven't touched it yet. Did check my idle timing it was a little high got to noticing my motor idles around 1000-1100 rpm needs to be around 750-800 I imagine. I can push the timing back just a hair during idle and it CIA it back to around where it needs. Butterfly's are completely closed and throttle cables are right pulling back so I'm guessing I need to adjust timing. Thanks in advance

Merc50
11-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah just keep jacking up till your w/press gauge tells you otherwise. I've plugged the upper half of my intake and still get 20psi at WOT. I have the propshaft running about 1.75" below the transom and still got to play around with props to get some rpms up higher. I wish I had a go-pro, I would post a video.

Also, that's a solid boat right there. That's on my wish list lol. How's it run?

Yea it's pretty solid, I wouldn't think a war eagle would have a problem tho. She runs pretty strong

Cajun Special
11-15-2013, 08:29 PM
That the atlas micro jacker on ur rig?

Merc50
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
That the atlas micro jacker on ur rig?
Micro jacker with pt 130 stacked on

Cajun Special
11-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Had any probs out of the micro? I've had mine for about 6 months and it's doin good. I got the micro jacker and a bobs SB6 stacked now.

Cajun Special
11-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Is that a bobs 2" spacer as well?

Merc50
11-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Had any probs out of the micro? I've had mine for about 6 months and it's doin good. I got the micro jacker and a bobs SB6 stacked now.
No problems, Wouldn't go without it now. Yes 2" bobs spacers

fs5
11-16-2013, 11:23 PM
I may have already asked this but for some of y'all that have chimed in later, what are y'all running as far as timing is concerned. Won't be turning over 7000 much if at all on this motor. Has Hydrotec reeds, Hydrotec porting work, 60 carbs, no oil injection, gutted cowling, no rev limiter, cut tuner w bell added, 1:83 gears and a few other small things. Haven't lightened the flywheel yet. On a 1648 War Eagle boat weighs about 360-375 lbs. No set back yet still working on that. Some guys have told me to advance the timing and some have said not to so I haven't touched it yet. Did check my idle timing it was a little high got to noticing my motor idles around 1000-1100 rpm needs to be around 750-800 I imagine. I can push the timing back just a hair during idle and it CIA it back to around where it needs. Butterfly's are completely closed and throttle cables are right pulling back so I'm guessing I need to adjust timing. Thanks in advance

just wind the base idle screw back a bit mate and see how it goes.it won't mess with your max advance timming.

HGipson
11-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Think I've got it all the way back right now. May just need to check the cables again see if they are still tight or kick back the idle timing

pdt
11-19-2013, 11:48 AM
need a video and some pics of this engine and boat to see how she looks and sounds now.
pictures can sometimes be realy cool to look at and may possibly help others to help you !!!!!

tyst67
11-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, I am curious what cutting the tuner does and what is meant by adding a bell! Does this give hole shot or top end ?

ima75man
11-24-2013, 04:35 PM
tuner are all the same, i have try all kinds even elbow shape. it's all in what you like the best. the factory has spent a few bucks on tuning, i now run a factory tuner..

HGipson
11-24-2013, 05:41 PM
The longer the tuner is the more low end you'll have and the shorter (to a point) the more top end rpm you'll have. I cut mine because everybody's I know is cut some are belled some are just cut and flared and a few I've heard are built like a cone with the factory tuner cut from the exhaust plate and welded the cone on. Don't know how much power they add but it sounds good so I'm gonna keep it! Lol. My motor is running really good and starts right up even in 19 degree weather and runs all day long duck hunting. I'm sure with a little more setup and a racing wheel it'd run over 50 with a full load ran 45 this morning with 2 250 lb guys, 4 dozen decoys, waders shells and all our other junk and that's with a factory Merc 15 p vengeance.

ima75man
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM
wouldn't know about 19 degree starting don't know anybody krazy enough to be on the water, unless you picking up frozen mullet ..lol ps everybody with a 59 in merc are happy happy happy

HGipson
11-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah I'm one of the happy owners! The 19 degree crank right up makes it even better. Hopefully it gets colder and I can stretch it out some more after those ducks!

Cajun Special
11-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Well I got 3.8 hrs on her now. If I could get someone to come with me I would take a video to post up! Gonna try to make that happen over the holiday. She's runnin good but I still Havnt stretched out any of my speed props. Gotta warm up to her. Ran my 16p 54mph today, might coulda got a little more out of it but it's prolly a little soon to run it that hard. Took off my bobs sb4 and put the sb6 on it. Setup I believe is finally about right55711

tyst67
11-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Well I got 3.8 hrs on her now. If I could get someone to come with me I would take a video to post up! Gonna try to make that happen over the holiday. She's runnin good but I still Havnt stretched out any of my speed props. Gotta warm up to her. Ran my 16p 54mph today, might coulda got a little more out of it but it's prolly a little soon to run it that hard. Took off my bobs sb4 and put the sb6 on it. Setup I believe is finally about right55711

Wow that's good for a 16p! What gear ratio? What exactly have you got done to your motor?

Cajun Special
11-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Ported, cylinders honed, new pistons etc, flywheel substantially lightened. 60 carbs with .62 jets. Garrett turbo. Just kiddin. Block stuffed. You or anyone know if velocity stacks worth foolin with? Oh 1.83 ratio. Prop is a Ron hill 11.25x16 semi signature. That one and the signature 18p are AWESOME propellers. rocket fans is what I call them

tyst67
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Ported, cylinders honed, new pistons etc, flywheel substantially lightened. 60 carbs with .62 jets. Garrett turbo. Just kiddin. Block stuffed. You or anyone know if velocity stacks worth foolin with? Oh 1.83 ratio. Prop is a Ron hill 11.25x16 semi signature. That one and the signature 18p are AWESOME propellers. rocket fans is what I call them

That's sweet! Mine is ported polished, timing advanced, 40 single carb, 40 reed cage, reeds cage drilled bigger, leg and foot sharpened razor sharp used with a 18p Merc chopper 2! 58.7 mph on gps! My motor is the same motor as the triples but with one cylinder chopped off! Twin with single carb! I am buying the 60 carbs this winter and putting them on! I would definatly put stacks on and try it, when I remove the cab of my motor I gain a mph or 2! Have you or anyone here heard of the raised pistons you can get for these motors?

Cajun Special
11-27-2013, 11:29 PM
I've heard of those pistons but don't know anything about em. I put mercury pistons in mine. 125psi compression in all 3. U know anywhere in the US where they make stacks? Talked to a guy yesterday in austrailia that makes them. They look real good. Don't cost much

tyst67
11-27-2013, 11:36 PM
I've heard of those pistons but don't know anything about em. I put mercury pistons in mine. 125psi compression in all 3. U know anywhere in the US where they make stacks? Talked to a guy yesterday in austrailia that makes them. They look real good. Don't cost much

I don't! I'm from up in canada and that stuff is pretty limited up here! Wonder how much gain they give you? Did hydrotec do your motor work?

HGipson
11-29-2013, 12:45 AM
The velocity stacks won't help from what I've been told. My motor has everything done to it besides the lightened flywheel. Haven't found a burnt up crank shaft to chop the end off of to chuck up in the lathe. That's a really good speed with that 2 cyl 40 single carb. What kinda boat do you have it on?

HGipson
11-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Hydrotec did most of mine. Did all the porting and a new piston on the top cyl because it wanst getting enough oil I'm guessing.

tyst67
11-29-2013, 04:54 AM
These boats are awesome and I would love to see your motor on one! They only weigh around 150 pounds! Me and my dad designed them 6 years ago and we have been making big gains ever since! http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?16167-My-1-4-inch-plywood-boat-design

pdt
11-29-2013, 12:38 PM
30 hp 640 cc 2 cylinder merc with the 40hp upgrade ????????
what 40hp upgrade ? you saying its now the twin 40hp

what year is this motor ?

what rpms is this engine doing ?

tyst67
11-29-2013, 01:34 PM
30 hp 640 cc 2 cylinder merc with the 40hp upgrade ????????
what 40hp upgrade ? you saying its now the twin 40hp

what year is this motor ?

what rpms is this engine doing ?

Yes sir it has been converted to a 40hp but it probably has more power than a 40 now! http://www.mercury-marine.eu/mercury/en/Products/Products.aspx?Model=SeaPro%2040 my motor came with a restricted carburetor! All you have to do is change the carb and reed cage and it's a 40!

pdt
11-29-2013, 03:09 PM
sounds good little engine.
I think by trying 60 carb youl find it will go slower.
the 60ho has three carbs, so each of those will be far too small.

might be best to look around for a set of 50/60 hp carbs from a twin cylinder and make a twin manifold.
but if this goes like you say I think best to stick with what you got.

what are the rpm's when your running flat out on it now ?

tyst67
11-29-2013, 03:24 PM
sounds good little engine.
I think by trying 60 carb youl find it will go slower.
the 60ho has three carbs, so each of those will be far too small.

might be best to look around for a set of 50/60 hp carbs from a twin cylinder and make a twin manifold.
but if this goes like you say I think best to stick with what you got.

what are the rpm's when your running flat out on it now ?

My dad wants me to keep it the same but I'm always looking for more gains because I am racing against 60s 65s and 70s! My single carb is the same size as one of the carbs on a 60 3cylinder! So by adding 2 Of the 60 carbs to a custom intake I will be adding twice as much air! It's just a thought but if it doesn't work I can always sell them again! My little 30 has impressed me in so many ways and the guys I race with can't even get over how good it works! I've tried tiny tachs and they won't work and I still haven't got a rpm reading! The motor is suppose to have a 2:1 gear ratio but I haven't even checked if it is a 2 or a 1.83!

pdt
11-29-2013, 05:35 PM
I think your dad is giving good advice.
like it is its not killing it and reliability is good then leave well be.
plus youl only use more fuel as well, so you will then need bigger tank = more weight and be back to what you have now !!!!!

you need to get some video's posted of the little beastie .
what year is your engine / coz some of the 40 2 cylinder mercs over here in uk had 2 carbs.

tyst67
11-29-2013, 07:24 PM
I think your dad is giving good advice.
like it is its not killing it and reliability is good then leave well be.
plus youl only use more fuel as well, so you will then need bigger tank = more weight and be back to what you have now !!!!!

you need to get some video's posted of the little beastie .
what year is your engine / coz some of the 40 2 cylinder mercs over here in uk had 2 carbs.

My motor is a 2002. I only use the motor to race so I don't mind if it's hard on gas and our season is only a few months. I am going to get my flywheel lightened and cut my tuner and see what happens. I'll get some videos up in a few days when I get to my laptop

LittleCharger
11-29-2013, 10:31 PM
My dad wants me to keep it the same but I'm always looking for more gains because I am racing against 60s 65s and 70s! My single carb is the same size as one of the carbs on a 60 3cylinder! So by adding 2 Of the 60 carbs to a custom intake I will be adding twice as much air! It's just a thought but if it doesn't work I can always sell them again! My little 30 has impressed me in so many ways and the guys I race with can't even get over how good it works! I've tried tiny tachs and they won't work and I still haven't got a rpm reading! The motor is suppose to have a 2:1 gear ratio but I haven't even checked if it is a 2 or a 1.83!

For the tiny tach try wrapping the sensor wire around both of the spark plug wires and not just one, that' s what we have to do on the 2 banger omcs.

Where are you in Canada?

tyst67
11-30-2013, 05:28 AM
For the tiny tach try wrapping the sensor wire around both of the spark plug wires and not just one, that' s what we have to do on the 2 banger omcs.

Where are you in Canada?

I'll try that to see if it works! I am in New Brunswick

Fastjeff57
11-30-2013, 05:29 AM
if you're having trouble getting stable readings, wrap aluminum foil about any wires near the one you're using for the signal. That helps a lot.

Jeff

tyst67
11-30-2013, 05:32 AM
if you're having trouble getting stable readings, wrap aluminum foil about any wires near the one you're using for the signal. That helps a lot.

Jeff
Ok cool I never thought of that before!

Cajun Special
11-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I gave up on tiny tach after about 4 of them. Finally I put a 4" Faria tach on it and it has an hr meter on it. Installed when I got my motor back from bein ported. It works awesome. Plus it's big enough to "quick glance" at it.

HGipson
12-01-2013, 09:53 AM
55751 Finally got some set back for my rig. Also added these "trim stops" to it instead of using wedges. Think they'll work just fine55752

pdt
12-01-2013, 03:16 PM
your pictures don't work
try again, this time try to just use the manage attachments in the go advanced part and use direct from your pc.
its the easiest way of getting them on here fast.

HGipson
12-01-2013, 11:21 PM
I'll try repost in them. CMC BA130 plate 5.75" of set back and I added what I call "trim stops" to the plate instead of using trim wedges to achieve the same 5 deg of positive trim I was needing to get the front of my boat outta the water. Have the ab plate around 2" above the bottom of the transom now5575455755

pdt
12-02-2013, 06:02 AM
just looked up those cmc ba130 plates, nice little units, only weigh 28 pounds !!!! I think that's a lot of weight for a small plate, but there ya go.
so now you have to get a jack plate as well, as I don't see this being able to go up 5 inches !!!!
I would of thought it would of been better to get a jackplate rather than just a setback unit, going back you will need to go up a fair bit now or be in too deep.
unless you already have a jackplate that is..

is your motor longshaft or shortshaft ? and what depth is the boat transom, I presume boat to be a 20 inch.
the anti-cavitaion plate needs to be a lot higher than 2 inches above the boat, most of these guys are running with it 5 inches above and more.

you must have a longshaft engine, because if it was shortshaft the plate would be 5 inches above the bottom without anything on it at all.
or you have a short shaft engine on a short shaft boat (doubt that).

look at a few of the boats on here, they run with the centre of the propshaft just 1 inch below the boat, that means the plate must be atleast 5 inches above.

HGipson
12-02-2013, 07:40 AM
It's setting up about where it needs to be I don't have a low water pickup and its set up for hunting so I've gotta be able to turn fast and not blow out it curves. Haven't tried it out yet though

pdt
12-02-2013, 01:19 PM
well I thought you were chasing speed !!!!! you will be even slower than the etec if the engine is buried.
with the engine on the boat without the cmc thing I take it the plate was level ?
this would indicate you have a longshaft engine, and not a chance of mega revs with it buried, 5500 if your lucky, 6000 if the prop is very small.
you wont be getting any high speeds that's for sure. that's why the guys on here oput the jack plates on the short shafts, to get them realy high.
from what I gather by taking your engine out 5 1/2 inches you will need to get it up a lot.
ive just took mine out 5 inches and gone up 7 inches, people tell me ill still get water pressure ,but ill have to see.
have a look at the other hunting boats, they all seem to run jack plates with the engines up.
with the setback youl be digging in the mud without raising it, the centre of gravity will make the back seem a lot heavier and will dig down further on pull away.

what prop have you got on it now ?

Cajun Special
12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I think How heavy your rig is has a lot to do with how high you can run your motor. Yes prop and setback are just as big of factors but If ur pushin a lot of weight you can't run as high as the feather light boats that u see on here...btw hgipson ur pics still ain't posting! At least, I can't see em.

Cajun Special
12-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Hydraulic jack plates make life soooo much easier!! Just gotta save up ur pennies awhile

HGipson
12-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah my boat ain't feather lite I imagine it would fly on a little Borel or something of that nature like Hank had. Thought about building a boat similar to that this winter if I get time I've got an old hull I can rig up that would be about 200-250 lbs when done. I just like having it on this War Eagle for now though any faster than what it is going down Cache or White river 50+ mph w decoys, guns, and what not ain't too shaby! Don't have to worry about getting to the hole first anyway. But eventually by next summer Id like to run it on something lite just for the fun of it. I don't know why the pics won't post. Tried doing it advanced and all that it still didn't post em. I need a jack plate maybe a CMC 65 manual jack plate would put the icing on the cake for me! If I ever get another one I'm going to build it myself and have somebody add a little spray to it and I'll weld on a nose cone and let her fly!!

Cajun Special
12-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Yea manual jack is way better than none at all! My friend that finally decided to buy my cmc manual was very glad he did. Still, u wanna run it as I high as it can with out the prop blowin out just so you can have the full benefit of ur new wide rpm that you paid all that denero for!

HGipson
12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to find a 8k Merc analog tach so I can see what it's really doing. As of now I only have GPS to guess with and only one prop to run so it'll be a little while before I get it lined completely out. I've heard once you get to the point I'm at it comes down to setup/try/setup/try till you find the good as its gonna get setup. I've got the Hydrotec carbon reeds in now. Heard a few guys running the Boyseen getting a few more rpm and even the CCMS race reeds (I've got a new set I had ordered before I got the work done still got em) but have heard the CCMS are bad about chipping after 15-20 hrs. But don't know cause I haven't tried em. But it starts, idles, and runs perfect right now so I'm not gonna switch em out for .5 mph. I built my tuner like most others I've seen and it seems to do real good so far or at least sounds like it does! If I don't get another mph out of it Ill be happy with just listening to her gin!!

Cajun Special
12-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Tryin to post a little video but it's sayin BRF database error.. For a tach u might look on Greatlakesskipper.com. Or ebay has several. Can't remember how many 8k there are tho. I'm sure they're out there

HankFrazier
12-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Tryin to post a little video but it's sayin BRF database error.. For a tach u might look on Greatlakesskipper.com. Or ebay has several. Can't remember how many 8k there are tho. I'm sure they're out there
allway's keep in mind no matter what type of rig you run EVERY POUND SLOWES YOU DOWN.

Merc50
12-08-2013, 06:49 PM
allway's keep in mind no matter what type of rig you run EVERY POUND SLOWES YOU DOWN.

This is true! A jack plate might give you some
Set back but it added 30 pounds. IMO the key to adding things like that is find somewhere else that you can cut half of what your adding. For instance when I added a jack plate I trashed my old conventional marine battery for a agm battery and more than compensated for the weight of the jAck plate. That made the plate and the battery worth having in my opinion

Cajun Special
12-08-2013, 07:28 PM
I have the setback I have to move the center of gravity back. So I don't have to over trim to lift the bow on top end. I gained 8 mph when I did this. Before I had motor ported or anything. I can take out my 70lb agm trollin battery and put a 5lb ridin mower battery and I gain 0 mph. I think I need to sand the bottom of my boat or somthin like I've seen others talk about here. Seem to hit another mph wall. I'm turnin rpm's but prop slip is still way high. This stuff is so effin frustrating but I like messin with my boat haha

pdt
12-08-2013, 07:42 PM
got to agree on the weight stuff.
the very plainest of boats do seem to be the quickest .

Cajun Special
12-08-2013, 07:58 PM
No doubt. I could just bolt my motor directly to a 12ft tin can with a 12x23p cleaverbut I can't fish out of one of them!

HGipson
01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Alright back on the drawing board. What's y'all's favorite or preferred type of oil to run in these motors? Had several guys throw Klotz outboard oil and that's the direction I think I'm gonna go. Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic. Either way wanting to run a synthetic oil since my motor is good and broke in and ready to roll

HGipson
01-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Also 11.25 or 12" diameter props for speed on these rigs? I am gonna be running it on the same ole duck boat with the same setup we've been discussing. I may break down and buy a atlas hydraulic mini jacker for it this spring just to make it a little quicker and a lot more useful in shallow water. Currently still have the 15 pitch Merc vengeance stock prop on it. Going to get some More cup added to it for a better bite in turns and with loads in the boat. So far so good though this motor has been seamless!! And finally lightened the flywheel the other day!! Found a good spare crankshaft so we chucked it the up in the lathe w flywheel attached and went to work. I can notice a difference already!

pdt
01-09-2014, 07:13 AM
with a lightened flywheel the idle will be poor, as too will be trolling !!!!!
lightened is only good for acceleration, no gain in top end at all.
regards oil... synthetic is not as good for lubrication due to synthetic being flammable and it burns more !!!!!
for the engine life stick to normal outboard 2 stroke oil, quicksilver for example.
your not wanting to be rebuilding the engine every 20 hours , so be careful what your doing, its ok going fast, but there is a huge price to pay for it.
most people n here racing their engines getting mega high performance are willing to sacrifice pistons and rings.. are you prepared for this, or do you
want it to be a long lasting reliable engine? if so stick to good old fashioned 2 stroke oil at around 50 to 1 or if going over 6,000 rpm 32-1.

have you got a tacho fitted yet to see what rpm's your turning ?

HGipson
01-09-2014, 07:36 AM
We'll this motor must be a freak of Mercury then because it didn't change my idle harldy any and it will run all day long. Last time I checked all 2 stroke motor oil was flammable.... Kinda the point if it wasn't flammable the motor wouldn't run and/or there would be "nonflammable oil" running out of every hole in it. Racing guys have told me to break one in with good ole fashioned petro based oil and after about 10-15 hrs throw in the full synthetic for turning over 6000-7000 rpm. A friend of mine on here runs the Klotz oil and said they've seen broken down motors that had 1200 + hrs of over running time and looked spotless w little wear. The point of the oil being flammable is to reduce carbon buildup these engines don't have 300-400 lbs of compression required to completely burn oil like a Diesel engine can so they'll carbon up. The synthetic from what I've read helps reduce it and doesn't break down as quickly at higher rpm

omcstratos
01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
regards oil... synthetic is not as good for lubrication due to synthetic being flammable and it burns more !!!!!
for the engine life stick to normal outboard 2 stroke oil, quicksilver for example.
your not wanting to be rebuilding the engine every 20 hours , so be careful what your doing, its ok going fast, but there is a huge price to pay for it.
most people n here racing their engines getting mega high performance are willing to sacrifice pistons and rings.. are you prepared for this, or do you
want it to be a long lasting reliable engine? if so stick to good old fashioned 2 stroke oil at around 50 to 1 or if going over 6,000 rpm 32-1.

We'll this motor must be a freak of Mercury then because it didn't change my idle harldy any and it will run all day long. Last time I checked all 2 stroke motor oil was flammable.... Kinda the point if it wasn't flammable the motor wouldn't run and/or there would be "nonflammable oil" running out of every hole in it. Racing guys have told me to break one in with good ole fashioned petro based oil and after about 10-15 hrs throw in the full synthetic for turning over 6000-7000 rpm. A friend of mine on here runs the Klotz oil and said they've seen broken down motors that had 1200 + hrs of over running time and looked spotless w little wear. The point of the oil being flammable is to reduce carbon buildup these engines don't have 300-400 lbs of compression required to completely burn oil like a Diesel engine can so they'll carbon up. The synthetic from what I've read helps reduce it and doesn't break down as quickly at higher rpm

Nothing personal here, but I would listen a little more to someone else that actually runs these modded motors, or Hydrotec rather than someone that runs a stock 60hp OMC at 5500 rpms on a 1200lb skiff.

MWhite
01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Alright back on the drawing board. What's y'all's favorite or preferred type of oil to run in these motors? Had several guys throw Klotz outboard oil and that's the direction I think I'm gonna go. Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic. Either way wanting to run a synthetic oil since my motor is good and broke in and ready to roll

Klotz, KL-333 or R-50, the kl-333 burns cleaner.

LittleCharger
01-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Klotz, KL-333 or R-50, the kl-333 burns cleaner.

Can't go wrong with those oils.

We have had good success with pennzoil blend in our race motors and they have lots of hours on them. Also like the castor bean oils whether klotz or Maxima 927, both of the bean oils have a higher flash point then the pennzoil, but the pennzoil blend is dirt cheap. We mix the race motors 25:1 for a better ring seal and the higher rpms, might be a tad oil rich for your applications. Never seen an idle issue with a cut flywheel either.

pdt
01-09-2014, 05:29 PM
flywheels.
lightening a flywheel does make a difference to idle, why do you think that outboard engines have very heavy flywheels ???? do you think marine outboard company's get
the metal for free and just put heavy flywheels on to make the engines heavier ?

as for oil,
fully synthetic oil will wear a 2 stroke out faster, as like I said its very flammable, a lot more flammable that the normal tcw3 stuff.
you could get better performance, but at the cost of engine life.
tcw3 is far better for lubrication, the fully synthetic does run cleaner due to it burning up more and thus give a cleaner run and less smoke,
but does NOT lubricate as good.. Lubrication is the main thing to go for as in longevity of a 2 stroke engine.
Also a lot of people talk of using far less oil in their engines when running fully synthetic, anyone who knows engines should also know that more oil = more power !!!!
if you run an engine on a dyno, you can see a small increase in power when running at 32 to 1 versus 50 to 1...
(I expect that to be shot down too by he who don't know)

When running an engine at a couple of thousand rpm's more than it was designed for its better to lubricate as much as possible in keeping with the engine running longer.
synthetic is not the answer in a 2 stroke engine like these older style engines, these are not a ultra modern mercury or evinrude engines with oil directly injected to certain
parts of the engine like the later top end motors.

now if you care to browse this forum very carefully youl find there is a lot of talk about the oils and wear etc, and I think even a passage on fully synthetic versus old style oils.
go check out the flash points of the oils and how they react with petrol at certain temps and with modern fuels, also on how they disperse compared to older types of oils.
Also have to look at what detergents and ash are in the oils, its not as simple as many people think.

Now you have also remember your dealing with an engine with a lot of low down torque when speaking of the mercury triple that was originaly a 40hp but now converted to 60 plus hp.
the powerband of the engine has been drastically changed and higher rpm's are being utilised, this means the torque of the engine is not as high as a normal engine of same hp rating
would be at the lower end of the rev range.
75hp merc for instance would have a lot more low down torque than a mega high revving 40hp that's now producing 75hp due to revving at 7000 rpm plus....

if the boat is ultra light and going to be kept ultra light and just the one person in the boat, then the flywheel could be lightened for faster take off and spin upto the desired max
rpm possible.
BUT if the boat is going to be used for more than one person and loaded up with fishing gear, then a lightened flywheel will be a very bad idea as none of the stored energy in the flywheel
will be available to be used ..

with the boat hgipson is using and taking out friends on his fishing boat, a lightened flywheel is definitely not the answer and will give less than desired all round performance .
if on the other hand he dumps all the fishing stuff, strips the boat of everything gets it mega lightweight and uses it just as an out and out racer then go ahead and lighten it up.

"Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic "

what is good in one type of engine is not always good in another. why do you think there are so many different types of oil ?
and don't even think about comparing your triple to a 260 or 300, they are totally different engines.

Cajun Special
01-09-2014, 05:40 PM
If it idles bad cuz of lightened fly wheel, ya took too much off. Well, if ya took too much off wouldn't hardly run I suspect. I got 5 pound 4oz off mine. Idles great. Till I get bored and start messin with it ha. Also, klotz outboard oil is awesome stuff. And I think it smells like both country scent laundry wash and baby shampoo. If I'm the only one I'll shut up

pdt
01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
wow just think of the millions of tons of wasted metal all the outboard makers used over the years.
mercury ,evinrude, Suzuki, yamaha, tohatsu, not one of their engine designers knew about making the flywheels lighter hey, how strange !!!
they all just put on great big heavy flywheels for nothing.

if only they had known what they were doing hey......

I bet the Chinese will love this knowledge, they like to scrimp on stuff,.

HankFrazier
01-09-2014, 08:14 PM
wow just think of the millions of tons of wasted metal all the outboard makers used over the years.
mercury ,evinrude, Suzuki, yamaha, tohatsu, not one of their engine designers knew about making the flywheels lighter hey, how strange !!!

.Through the year's I have run and seen all kind's of lightened fly wheels on all kind's of outboards some even made like flex plates out of 125 guage aluminum even the starter ring made of aluminum that weigh almost nothing.these flywheels never caused any idle problems at all. I have run a lot of different oil's at extremely high rpm's spraying nitrous and have not had the problems that you are talking about.

LittleCharger
01-09-2014, 08:32 PM

Well I guess the flexplate flywheel design engineers at places like second effort must have been kinda stupid then to, same as those engineers that design the heavier flywheels and flywheel weight kits for the two stroke race dirt bikes. It all depends on the application and how you want to deliver the power.

omcstratos
01-09-2014, 09:32 PM
then a lightened flywheel will be a very bad idea as none of the stored energy in the flywheel

Phill, I don't understand what you mean as in the stored energy in the flywheel. Is that like a quick boost of power you can get out of it for a few seconds??

If it is the momentum of the heavy flywheel you are referring to, the heavier the flywheel is requires more power to accelerate it to a faster speed and takes longer for the motor to spool back down. I think the reason for the heavier flywheels is to keep some of the motors that have an unstable idle like the 45ci OMC's to keep from pinging at idle, or hit and miss idle.

ima75man
01-10-2014, 06:25 AM
phil, you the most negative person on this web site. when i see your name on here i skip the page.

pdt
01-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Ok let have the answer from
MWhite only on this.

why do they put heavy flywheels on outboard engines ?

now that is an easy enough question, come on mike lets hear it.
I don't expect a boy from your area to know a great deal about inertia and stored energy or mass, so just a simple explanation from you will suffice.

pdt
01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
quote from MWhite
" Heavy flywheels were put on some 2 stroke motors (such as the 40 3cyl merc),, cause it helps or aids in the starting of the motor in case the
electric start don't work and can still be crank by rope, The centrifugal force helps

pdt
01-10-2014, 07:38 PM
:) :) :) please stop
my ribs are killing me with the pain from laughter.

Tanks very much for your words of wisdom, you really have cheered me up tonight, its raining here and very miserable, but these classics from you have
made me and a few friends very happy.

you must work for caterpillar going by the size of the hole your digging yourself into

:cool:

Fast Fred
01-11-2014, 07:54 AM
any ways, thay are jittery at low revs with a lighter fly wheel, some more than others, a heavy wheel stores momentum, ........

omcstratos
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
any ways, thay are jittery at low revs with a lighter fly wheel, some more than others, a heavy wheel stores momentum, ........

That's what I was saying with the 2 banger OMC's. The older 80s models were so inconsistent, they would fire then skip a few revolutions then fire again at idle. I think older electronics played a part in that though. The short stroke and large bore didn't help either.

omcstratos
01-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Ok let have the answer from
MWhite only on this.

why do they put heavy flywheels on outboard engines ?

now that is an easy enough question, come on mike lets hear it.
I don't expect a boy from your area to know a great deal about inertia and stored energy or mass, so just a simple explanation from you will suffice.

And Phill you wouldn't last a minute down here saying that in the southeast. Why you gotta be that way?

pdt
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
"The short stroke and large bore didn't help either"
ha ha ha ha ha

and another quote
"the point I was trying to make was that lighten flywheel does not effect the idle of the motor"

oh this is Brilliant stuff :):):)
do you have any more like this. ?
definitely worthy of its own colum all this funny stuff .:cool:

Hey stratos, do you think this is the right way to go.. "whatever you say is fine by me mike... my hero "

HankFrazier
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
quote from MWhite
" Heavy flywheels were put on some 2 stroke motors (such as the 40 3cyl merc),, cause it helps or aids in the starting of the motor in case the
electric start don't work and can still be crank by rope, The centrifugal force helps

.I remember back in 1989 when the v-4 comp guy's were running there was a couple of them running v-4 omc motors with no fly wheel at all on the motor they had a small belt pully on the crank driving the magneto for fire the starter enguaged a gear on the mag.they were drag racing and had no idleing problems that I can remember.
As somebody that has pull started a few outboards in my time with lightened fly wheels on them and had my fingers almost yanked off more times than I care to remember MIKE WHITE IS RIGHT the heavy flywheel on a pull start motor helps to stop the kick back by using the weight of the forward motion.

HankFrazier
01-11-2014, 06:43 PM

phil this is boat racing facts not amateur hour most people on here are real racers trying to learn things and to help fellow racers get all they can out of there boats and motors I have looked back on your posts and you are not helping anybody with the bull **** you are shoveling,you need to find another site where you might be helpful you may fool some people on here that knows nothing about making a boat go fast but to the real racers on here you are a amateur,get you a real race boat and go race for about 10 years then you may qualify to get on here and give advice. FROM NOW ON WHEN I SEE YOUR POST I WON'T EVEN READ THEM YOU HAVE NOTHING POSTIVE TO CONTRIBUTE.

omcstratos
01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't know what y'all are talking about. PDT knows how to make his boat fast and would probably smoke anyone that tries to race him. His 13foot boat with a 60hp can go a whopping 38mph. Heres his video and man does it fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUx2cIaAJs

fs5
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't know what y'all are talking about. PDT knows how to make his boat fast and would probably smoke anyone that tries to race him. His 13foot boat with a 60hp can go a whopping 38mph. Heres his video and man does it fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUx2cIaAJs

that's pretty funny

seeing this thread is about 59ci mercs,i have a lightened flywheel on mine .it starts fine and idles fine no worries at all.spins up a bit quicker topend is pretty much the same ..
pdt, hp already said it runs fine on his rig along with a lot of others.it may not work on omc's,i wouldn't know I don't run one.i don't get what the problem is????

pdt
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
fs5
if your only running fast on a lightweight boat with a single person that could be the case
but when your running 2 people and going slow it will be bad.

how often do proper race boats go fishing and trolling ? not very often.
now considering the boat is loaded with fishing gear and a couple of biggish blokes, this boat aint going to be doing no 50 plus miles per hour like he thinks and then
be able to run real slow with a lightened flywheel.

fs5
01-11-2014, 08:24 PM
fs5
if your only running fast on a lightweight boat with a single person that could be the case
but when your running 2 people and going slow it will be bad.

how often do proper race boats go fishing and trolling ? not very often.
now considering the boat is loaded with fishing gear and a couple of biggish blokes, this boat aint going to be doing no 50 plus miles per hour like he thinks and then
be able to run real slow with a lightened flywheel.

that's the point mate,on 59ci merc it doesn't effect idle or slow speed trolling.

fs5
01-11-2014, 08:28 PM
I forgot to mention I do a lot of slow speed trolling up the dam chasing yellowbelly and bass over here.it still runs the same as it did with a full weight wheel

pdt
01-11-2014, 08:31 PM
omcstratos
go on find another one,

lets see a video of your boat running, a video that's not speeded up like some on here too. or are you another 70mph fantasist running a little dinky prop too but at a million rpm's ?
or just maybe yet another who cant tell kilometres from miles ?

89HST
01-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Don't feed the troll. ;)

pdt
01-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Videos aren't speeded up,, they are what they are, and they don't lie, yours is a perfect example. Yours is just slow.

now first of all I have NEVER claimed my boat to be fast or a race boat, that is something nobody will of ever seen me write on any forum about my Orkney dory.
my aim is to get it to 45mph, that will be a big achievement for me with this type of boat.

now being as your supposed to be the bogs dollocks and know everything and have such a big mouth with your bragging
why don't ya put some video's of yours up , show folk what you can do with your engine that someone else built for you !!!!!!!!
put some video of it out in the open, anything in a creek looks fast with a bit of shaky footage.

or are you gonna cry the same old " I don't need to show it rubbish" you do to make people believe you after such a lot of big mouthing.

I would be very interested to see the super boat go, as I am sure many people would. be very nice to see this 60hp engine going 70 plus mph ..
its all well and good having others say " ive seen it running" but that is purely hearsay

lets see the real thing in real time video- we can then see if it is really a 70mph plus boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and don't forget to have it idling in gear !!!!!

omcstratos
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM
This one to me sounds just fine idling along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmnLjbWHlP0

This is not my video

omcstratos
01-13-2014, 09:42 PM
omcstratos
go on find another one,

a video that's not speeded up like some on here too.

Hey Phil, how ya like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGyku_oYiY

MWhite
01-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Hey Phil, how ya like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGyku_oYiY

There it is phil the REAL DEAL. and idling too, and this isnt the best its run, the NOS isnt even hook up right here.

89HST
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Those look like a LOT of fun. :cool:

pdt
01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
No NOS hey ?
funny how it only ever runs for around 10 seconds with the blue bottle in the boat !!!!!!!!!!!!

still not MWhites boat. come on lets see the super boat.

by the way that one was around 55mph maybe touch higher, but nothing like 70mph.camera boat around 24 to 28mph.
only going by the distance of the ground compared to moving objects.
disregard the rooster tail and watch the ground , not the water.

so where is the super boat mike, still on the trailer !!!!!!!!

trailer racer

HTarver
01-14-2014, 02:30 PM
I can more than more than vouch for Mike Whites boat. Mike White is no slouch! His boat is very Fast/Quick for a 15x48 Weldbilt with a tiller handle 40hp! I have been beside him plenty of times and I know how fast MY boat runs. I promise there aint but a very few tiller handle 40hp will even come close to Mikes rig. Also, this all your gonna hear from me because im not gonna argue with you PDT. My advice come down to the Sabine River and see for your self, the SRG are very nice people they would love to have you at their camp and even put on awesome show that you would love, because you obviously have NEVER seen anything like this before!

HankFrazier
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
I can more than more than vouch for Mike Whites boat. Mike White is no slouch! His boat is very Fast/Quick for a 15x48 Weldbilt with a tiller handle 40hp! I have been beside him plenty of times and I know how fast MY boat runs. I promise there aint but a very few tiller handle 40hp will even come close to Mikes rig. Also, this all your gonna hear from me because im not gonna argue with you PDT. My advice come down to the Sabine River and see for your self, the SRG are very nice people they would love to have you at their camp and even put on awesome show that you would love, because you obviously have NEVER seen anything like this before!
hey heath we thinking about going boat riding this weekend are ya'll gona be around.

HTarver
01-14-2014, 05:04 PM
hey heath we thinking about going boat riding this weekend are ya'll gona be around.

Heck yea that sounds good to me! I start my 8 days off thursday evening, holler at me when yall decide what day.

omcstratos
01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
No NOS hey ?
funny how it only ever runs for around 10 seconds with the blue bottle in the boat !!!!!!!!!!!!

still not MWhites boat. come on lets see the super boat.

by the way that one was around 55mph maybe touch higher, but nothing like 70mph.camera boat around 24 to 28mph.
only going by the distance of the ground compared to moving objects.
disregard the rooster tail and watch the ground , not the water.

so where is the super boat mike, still on the trailer !!!!!!!!

trailer racer

Since I've sourced a few videos I found on youtube here is Mike... I think... It looks like he is running with 88workcar's green 14 allison with a 90 Yamaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQN2YLufmkw

pdt
01-14-2014, 07:47 PM
well that certainly isn't a 70mph boat race that's for sure. quick but nothing special like I was expecting.
that 90hp Yamaha can go faster than that im sure, it don't even sound like its getting full revs.
the merc sounds good and loud

and why oh why do you all keep calling these engines 40's ? they are not , they are 60hp 59ci engines. as soon as they got de-restricted they became 60's .

omcstratos
01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
well that certainly isn't a 70mph boat race that's for sure. quick but nothing special like I was expecting.
that 90hp Yamaha can go faster than that im sure, it don't even sound like its getting full revs.
the merc sounds good and loud

and why oh why do you all keep calling these engines 40's ? they are not , they are 60hp 59ci engines. as soon as they got de-restricted they became 60's .

That is because you know EVERYTHING, don't you?

And just because the 90 has more factory rated HP than the 40 doesn't mean it is guarenteed to win the race. Does a Mack truck with 2000ftlbs of torque outrun a Camaro? No, it can haul more load though.

omcstratos
01-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Looks like the 90 got outrun this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTd8bJZDWpU&list=UUjQkUitmspKT-57v59QN38A&feature=c4-overview

Ok, I'm done with the videos now. Sorry about your thread HGipson

pdt
01-15-2014, 06:26 AM
same old yet again
the 60hp triple only does the fast blast for around 10 seconds.

Mmm now let me think why would that be ? because he don't want to blow the engine up using the nitrous any longer than 10 seconds.

so many of the vids are like this.

now who said anything about yams being terrifically fast engines anyway ? not me, but that engine can rev higher than it is in the vid.

you need to go get someone to fix that leak in your hose, the nitrous is making you go all silly again.

don't forget to tie a rope round your ankles so we can pull you out of

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-15-2014, 10:02 AM
same old yet again

Mmm now let me think why would that be ? because he don't want to blow the engine up using the nitrous any longer than 10 seconds.

now who said anything about yams being terrifically fast engines anyway ? not me, but that engine can rev higher than it is in the vid.

you need to go get someone to fix that leak in your hose, the nitrous is making you go all silly again.

Hey Phil, Its YOU who are showing your arse again with your ignorance. The reason the race only lasts 10 seconds or so is because it is a DRAG race and that is all the longer the race lasts. They do have drag races in England don't they?

pdt
01-15-2014, 01:39 PM
oh come on , Surely the super boat of captain bull**** (mwhite) is faster than that !!!!! I was expecting to see something really special.
maybe he was just a warming upand a bit camera shy and not wanting others to see his rocket ship ????

as for drag race with boats NO we do not have boat drag races in the uk. would be a real good thing to have here though.
sometimes we race each other but even then its over longer distances and mainly on the sea.
we do have a limited amount of races on lakes, but they are few and far between.

unlike in the states we have to have stupid rules about going fast, and you have to be members of silly organisations that make it far too expensive for most people to even bother joining.

I have noticed that in the usa fun with boats is miles better, and your not as restricted in the way we are over here.
there is no reason why we couldn't run drag races as we have lots of lakes, but they are all taken up by the wind wallies who spoil it for everyone.
the private lakes are all owned by water ski clubs or windsurfing clubs and small sailing clubs.
so we are mainly left to the sea for going fast.
or have to stick to slow running on our rivers.

HankFrazier
01-15-2014, 02:00 PM
same old yet again

I can spray my motor for a full pass 1320 ft. but it runs around 80mph not 70 it runs mid 7o's on just motor.their are plenty of people on this site that have saw it go that fast. pdt this is an open invitation for you to come to louisiana and stay at my houseboat for free for a week of your choosing in the summer time and we SRG will school you up on how to set a boat up and make it run. it won't cost you a dime this is a sincere offer and i would be willing to bet when you leave you would have a lot more respect for the true racer's on this site .the first lesson would be to stop treating everybody like you are so much smarter than them. you get past that you might even make some friend's on here and you would probably hit that 45mph mark with your rig.

ima75man
01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
well said,, better not under estimate mike white, seen a video of mike running in the 70's mph range.

pdt
01-15-2014, 03:42 PM
im not saying your boat cant hit 80mph hank, ive heard a bit about your boat from a few people
I have ve never said you have a slow boat neither.
I don't think I am smarter than anyone, but when a complete fool try's shooting me down with rubbish I will obviously stand my ground,.
ya need to go look who chucks the insults first. if I attack you then your entitled to retaliate !!!! that's the law of the jungle....

as for me going to louisianna ha ha .. I would love to go there one day. the rivers down there look great.
USA would be on my list if I won the lotto for sure, they can keep new York and the stuff like that, I would like to see the rivers of the south and go watch drag boat racing,
I want to watch boats like nitro chicken and problem child.

HankFrazier
01-15-2014, 04:29 PM
well said,, better not under estimate mike white, seen a video of mike running in the 70's mph range.

75 are you mad at me haven't heard from u in a while?

HankFrazier
01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
im not saying your boat cant hit 80mph hank, ive heard a bit about your boat from a few people
I have ve never said you have a slow boat neither.
I don't think I am smarter than anyone, but when a complete fool try's shooting me down with rubbish I will obviously stand my ground,.
ya need to go look who chucks the insults first. if I attack you then your entitled to retaliate !!!! that's the law of the jungle....

as for me going to louisianna ha ha .. I would love to go there one day. the rivers down there look great.
USA would be on my list if I won the lotto for sure, they can keep new York and the stuff like that, I would like to see the rivers of the south and go watch drag boat racing,
I want to watch boats like nitro chicken and problem child.
the invitation is always their just cost a plain ticket as my friend craig always said I CAN SHOW YOU BETTER THAN I CAN TELL YOU.I can back up what I say. besides if you come to Louisiana try some of our food and hospitality you won't go back.

omcstratos
01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
phil, you the most negative person on this web site. when i see your name on here i skip the page.

that's pretty funny

pdt, hp already said it runs fine on his rig along with a lot of others.it may not work on omc's,i wouldn't know I don't run one.i don't get what the problem is????

Don't feed the troll. ;)

Hey Phil, Its YOU who are showing your arse again with your ignorance. The reason the race only lasts 10 seconds or so is because it is a DRAG race and that is all the longer the race lasts. They do have drag races in England don't they?

That race was at gran chanier la. that wasnt to bad a past, for a 1/8 mile or less, as i didnt reach my peak yet, dont pay on attention to pdt as he dont believe what people tell him and never will believe anything, nor does he believe the videos.

"I don't think I am smarter than anyone, but when a complete fool try's shooting me down with rubbish I will obviously stand my ground"

I'm kinda seeing a trend here Phil... You are the fool shooting people down 99% of the time and all these people are standing their ground.

Instead, how about listen and learn about the things on BRF. If you don't know 100% about what you are talking about with the flywheel or anything else, don't give any advice about it.

MWhite
01-15-2014, 05:00 PM
"I don't think I am smarter than anyone, but when a complete fool try's shooting me down with rubbish I will obviously stand my ground"

I'm kinda seeing a trend here Phil... You are the fool shooting people down 99% of the time and all these people are standing their ground.

Instead, how about listen and learn about the things on BRF. If you don't know 100% about what you are talking about with the flywheel or anything else, don't give any advice about it.

Very Well said omcstratos.

pdt
01-15-2014, 05:02 PM
would be nice down that river
But not as easy as you might think to get into the states. have to get a visa for usa. !!!!!

pdt
01-15-2014, 05:54 PM
ahh isn't that's nice,
omcstratos sticking up for his idol again, how cute .
its so sweet I can almost hear everyone going ahh, even I am touched by the sweetness of this act of affection,

Now on a serious Note , what is it that you actually know omcstratos ?
you like to agree on taking the piss out of me with your friend and mentor. BUT where have you been all these years working and getting all this knowledge ?
did you go to college at Harvard ,Yale, or some special school of engineering

come on stand up for yourself and explain to me and everyone else here what flywheels are all about and why they are on engines and what the difference is between a flywheels
momentum and its physical nature when in motion.
tell me why it acts like a gyro scope and how it could or could not benefit an outboard engine of any size.
tell me the reason you would lighten it ? and by what amount you would consider reasonable and then how you would go about working this out.
explain to me the pro's and con's of its mass versus its actual weight.
tell me the ideal diameter of a flywheel for the 59 cu inch mercury or any particular outboard engine you care to use as your pattern for the discussion.
you can then explain to me what metal you would use for this flywheel and at what rpm,s would be this flywheels limit and again why and what would happen if this rpm was to be exceeded .
Once you have written this, as im sure your so well up on the dynamics of a flywheel and know a lot more than those at Hardy Spicer, you can then tell me how to balance the flywheel.
Then once you have explained this you can tell me about the properties of synthetic oils and mineral oils, there physical make up, flash points and ash values and emulsifying properties

come on you know a lot more than I do, its obvious that you do, or you wouldn't just jump on the bandwagon and believe im always wrong and join in with having a go at me.

please enlighten us all here with your knowledge.

I think you don't know anything about any of the above, please prove me wrong.

ima75man
01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
not mad, just trying to get my boat up to speed,moss point eace just around the corner, to be the man i got to outrun the man.(srg) call me i lost all my cell phone numbers.

MWhite
01-15-2014, 06:15 PM
ahh isn't that's nice,
its so sweet I can almost hear everyone going ahh, even I am touched by the sweetness of this act of affection,

Now on a serious Note , what is it that you actually know omcstratos ?
you like to agree on taking the piss out of me with your friend and mentor. BUT where have you been all these years working and getting all this knowledge ?
did you go to college at Harvard ,Yale, or some special school of engineering

come on stand up for yourself and explain to me and everyone else here what flywheels are all about and why they are on engines and what the difference is between a flywheels
tell me why it acts like a gyro scope and how it could or could not benefit an outboard engine of any size.
tell me the reason you would lighten it ? and by what amount you would consider reasonable and then how you would go about working this out.
explain to me the pro's and con's of its mass versus its actual weight.
tell me the ideal diameter of a flywheel for the 59 cu inch mercury or any particular outboard engine you care to use as your pattern for the discussion.
you can then explain to me what metal you would use for this flywheel and at what rpm,s would be this flywheels limit and again why and what would happen if this rpm was to be exceeded .
Once you have written this, as im sure your so well up on the dynamics of a flywheel and know a lot more than those at Hardy Spicer, you can then tell me how to balance the flywheel.
Then once you have explained this you can tell me about the properties of synthetic oils and mineral oils, there physical make up, flash points and ash values and emulsifying properties

come on you know a lot more than I do, its obvious that you do, or you wouldn't just jump on the bandwagon and believe im always wrong and join in with having a go at me.

please enlighten us all here with your knowledge.

Why don't u enlighten everyone phil. This is the very BS that omc and mr bill and everyone on here is talking about, your running everyone down showing your a$$, and u attacking everybody. U explain your version about the flywheel mr expert engineer?????

HankFrazier
01-15-2014, 06:33 PM
ahh isn't that's nice,
Its so sweet i can almost hear everyone going ahh, even i am touched by the sweetness of this act of affection,

now on a serious note , what is it that you actually know omcstratos ?
You like to agree on taking the piss out of me with your friend and mentor. But where have you been all these years working and getting all this knowledge ?
Did you go to college at harvard ,yale, or some special school of engineering

Tell me why it acts like a gyro scope and how it could or could not benefit an outboard engine of any size.
Tell me the reason you would lighten it ? And by what amount you would consider reasonable and then how you would go about working this out.
Explain to me the pro's and con's of its mass versus its actual weight.
Tell me the ideal diameter of a flywheel for the 59 cu inch mercury or any particular outboard engine you care to use as your pattern for the discussion.
You can then explain to me what metal you would use for this flywheel and at what rpm,s would be this flywheels limit and again why and what would happen if this rpm was to be exceeded .
Once you have written this, as im sure your so well up on the dynamics of a flywheel and know a lot more than those at hardy spicer, you can then tell me how to balance the flywheel.

come on you know a lot more than i do, its obvious that you do, or you wouldn't just jump on the bandwagon and believe im always wrong and join in with having a go at me.

Please enlighten us all here with your knowledge.

this is what i know for a fact.....there was a group of engineers that designed a boat that they said was the biggest, fastest and most unsinkable boat ever built , and on its first trip out they were right, almost it was the fastest boat to the bottom of the ocean and we all know where it was desighned and built and what its name was need i say more.

pdt
01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
yes you are correct hank
it was actually built in Ireland not England.
it was designed by an Irishman too, not English.
it sank very quickly as you say, .
I take it you did also know where the charts for its voyage were designed made and printed ? ENGLAND.

if only the captain had taken notice of the English charts and kept to the original course we would probably never of even heard of the titanic..

MWhite
don't try twisting it all again, let omcstratos answer for himself, you had a go at a simple question , you then answered the question a while back and made a
complete Pratt of yourself in doing so and any engineer who saw will be smiling to himself.
let stratos do his bit, ya never know he might be able to dig a load up off google within an hour or so ,
whatever he does it wont be worse than yours that's for sure, especially after all the bragging you've done about knowing stuff etc and condemning me while making such a hash of it ha ha .

must admit I was almost fooled that you really knew stuff and was going to come up with a sensible answer to the flywheel question, but with your answer you proved your knowledge.
But I really did appreciate the laugh it gave me, it really was good.

as for the above question to be answered by me would be a travesty, I shalkl llet omcstratos give his own reply.

come on stratos, show them all that your not a dummy who just follows the pack.

omcstratos
01-15-2014, 06:59 PM
got to agree on the weight stuff.
the very plainest of boats do seem to be the quickest .

For once you agree with someone on here. Removing a pound here and there adds up. But why would you want to put a heavy flywheel on the motor and weigh it back down? You may be an engineer, but I can find a lot of your questions on here that give me reason to think you still aren't a know it all.

And you say you know everything about oil, but you make is sound like you learned it all from an oil thread on here recently. You keep contradicting yourself.

omcstratos
01-15-2014, 07:02 PM
And PDT, I'd like to hear your explanation about "stored energy" of a flywheel.

HankFrazier
01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
yes you are correct hank
I take it you did also know where the charts for its voyage were designed made and printed ? ENGLAND.

if only the captain had taken notice of the English charts and kept to the original course we would probably never of even heard of the titanic..

MWhite
don't try twisting it all again, let omcstratos answer for himself, you had a go at a simple question , you then answered the question a while back and made a
complete Pratt of yourself in doing so and any engineer who saw will be smiling to himself.
let stratos do his bit, ya never know he might be able to dig a load up off google within an hour or so ,
whatever he does it wont be worse than yours that's for sure, especially after all the bragging you've done about knowing stuff etc and condemning me while making such a hash of it ha ha .

must admit I was almost fooled that you really knew stuff and was going to come up with a sensible answer to the flywheel question, but with your answer you proved your knowledge.

as for the above question to be answered by me would be a travesty, I shalkl llet omcstratos give his own reply.

I may be wrong but I think northern Ireland is a part and governed by the uk.

omcstratos
01-15-2014, 07:11 PM
You were on here a month ago and didn't understand the torque vs. horsepower. You didn't understand how the torque curve falls while horsepower keeps pulling on up. But now you are an expert on flywheels and oil lubrication qualities.

MWhite
01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
yes you are correct hank

MWhite

no no I aint twisted nothin , U ANSWER THE QUESTION, Don't try to avoid and worn your self out of this!!!!!!!! Lets here it,, everybody listening.

pdt
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
you are correct that your not an engineer

But you have butted in and made yourself look a proper knobhead just like mike.
unless you know what your talking about or atleast have an idea then don't join in and attack just because your boyfriend is attacking someone.
flywheel being heavy helps the crankshaft with vibration, it keeps an engine from stalling at slow speed, it creates more torque once it gets spinning.
now with a boat engine that needs to push a heavy boat or a loaded boat we need a heavy flywheel for slow speed, if only going fast and full rpm 99% of the time it could be lightened.
but it would not be of any use to keep any power in the engine !!!!!!
sometime a go a topic came up about horsepower and torque etc, it was about torque dropping off and hp still rising... if the flywheel was heavy it would make this possible, but if the flywheel is very
light then what happens if we get a touch of cavitaion on a bend or coming out of a corner ? where is the stored energy going to come from / because the flywheel has not got enough in it.
a heavy flywheel is slower to get going, but also slower to stop it.

I do not profess to know it all, there is ****loads of outboard parts that I have never delved into and would not ever attempt to argue about.
plus when it comes to outboard electrics I am a nightmare waiting to happen, electrics I have never been any good with at all.

there is nowhere on this or any other forum where I have ever argued anything on porting an engine, how to enlarge the ports or how to move the port timming.
ive never done it to a outboard and know much about outboard porting.
I have never argued about lots of stuff on the outboard engines, if its something I do not know and think it will be of value to me I will ask the question.
But I am not daft like so many , and can instantly see total bollocks when its written.

as for the oil, then no I have not just read it on here and copied it etc. there is some on here ,its pretty basic stuff.

If you read what I wrote you woukld notice I talked about keeping the engine, not going fast and not caring if it gets destroyed in just 1 race.
Any engineer or real racer on here will know that more oil has proven to give more power, not saying its a huge increase but it is an increase.
I have not contradicted myself, the answers and questions I raised have been twisted and turned by others to maybe look like I have contradicted all sorts, but again go
back and look for yourself.
don't just take things out of context like some fools do, read the passage just like it has been written.

I have not and have never professed to be an expert engineer, an engine designer or a professor of science and physics.

pdt
01-15-2014, 07:50 PM
MWhite your full of ****
you have tried every way possible to twist things
go back and look what you wrote.

your so full of **** you don't even know what you've wrote, you couldn't even answer simple stuff.
I bet you spend a fortune having to get someone to do everything for you.

you should be a politician, they are like you and avoid everything when the real questions pop up.

I had said what the flywheels were for, it was you who made yourself look a proper plum ha ha .

it still tickles me when I think of your answers to simple questions.

omcstratos
01-15-2014, 08:59 PM
you are correct that your not an engineer

But you have butted in and made yourself look a proper knobhead just like mike.
unless you know what your talking about or atleast have an idea then don't join in and attack just because your boyfriend is attacking someone.
flywheel being heavy helps the crankshaft with vibration, it keeps an engine from stalling at slow speed, it creates more torque once it gets spinning.
now with a boat engine that needs to push a heavy boat or a loaded boat we need a heavy flywheel for slow speed, if only going fast and full rpm 99% of the time it could be lightened.
but it would not be of any use to keep any power in the engine !!!!!!
sometime a go a topic came up about horsepower and torque etc, it was about torque dropping off and hp still rising... if the flywheel was heavy it would make this possible, but if the flywheel is very
light then what happens if we get a touch of cavitaion on a bend or coming out of a corner ? where is the stored energy going to come from / because the flywheel has not got enough in it.
a heavy flywheel is slower to get going, but also slower to stop it.

I do not profess to know it all, there is ****loads of outboard parts that I have never delved into and would not ever attempt to argue about.
plus when it comes to outboard electrics I am a nightmare waiting to happen, electrics I have never been any good with at all.

there is nowhere on this or any other forum where I have ever argued anything on porting an engine, how to enlarge the ports or how to move the port timming.
ive never done it to a outboard and know much about outboard porting.
I have never argued about lots of stuff on the outboard engines, if its something I do not know and think it will be of value to me I will ask the question.
But I am not daft like so many , and can instantly see total bollocks when its written.

as for the oil, then no I have not just read it on here and copied it etc. there is some on here ,its pretty basic stuff.

If you read what I wrote you woukld notice I talked about keeping the engine, not going fast and not caring if it gets destroyed in just 1 race.
Any engineer or real racer on here will know that more oil has proven to give more power, not saying its a huge increase but it is an increase.
I have not contradicted myself, the answers and questions I raised have been twisted and turned by others to maybe look like I have contradicted all sorts, but again go
back and look for yourself.
don't just take things out of context like some fools do, read the passage just like it has been written.

I have not and have never professed to be an expert engineer, an engine designer or a professor of science and physics.

I'm not getting what you mean about the cavitation and the flywheel having stored energy and how a lightened flywheel doesn't have enough in it. ENOUGH OF WHAT IN IT??

HankFrazier
01-15-2014, 09:26 PM
flywheels.
lightening a flywheel does make a difference to idle, why do you think that outboard engines have very heavy flywheels ???? do you think marine outboard company's get
the metal for free and just put heavy flywheels on to make the engines heavier ?

as for oil,
fully synthetic oil will wear a 2 stroke out faster, as like I said its very flammable, a lot more flammable that the normal tcw3 stuff.
you could get better performance, but at the cost of engine life.
tcw3 is far better for lubrication, the fully synthetic does run cleaner due to it burning up more and thus give a cleaner run and less smoke,
but does NOT lubricate as good.. Lubrication is the main thing to go for as in longevity of a 2 stroke engine.
Also a lot of people talk of using far less oil in their engines when running fully synthetic, anyone who knows engines should also know that more oil = more power !!!!
if you run an engine on a dyno, you can see a small increase in power when running at 32 to 1 versus 50 to 1...
(I expect that to be shot down too by he who don't know)

When running an engine at a couple of thousand rpm's more than it was designed for its better to lubricate as much as possible in keeping with the engine running longer.
synthetic is not the answer in a 2 stroke engine like these older style engines, these are not a ultra modern mercury or evinrude engines with oil directly injected to certain
parts of the engine like the later top end motors.

now if you care to browse this forum very carefully youl find there is a lot of talk about the oils and wear etc, and I think even a passage on fully synthetic versus old style oils.
go check out the flash points of the oils and how they react with petrol at certain temps and with modern fuels, also on how they disperse compared to older types of oils.
Also have to look at what detergents and ash are in the oils, its not as simple as many people think.

Now you have also remember your dealing with an engine with a lot of low down torque when speaking of the mercury triple that was originaly a 40hp but now converted to 60 plus hp.
the powerband of the engine has been drastically changed and higher rpm's are being utilised, this means the torque of the engine is not as high as a normal engine of same hp rating
would be at the lower end of the rev range.
75hp merc for instance would have a lot more low down torque than a mega high revving 40hp that's now producing 75hp due to revving at 7000 rpm plus....

if the boat is ultra light and going to be kept ultra light and just the one person in the boat, then the flywheel could be lightened for faster take off and spin upto the desired max
rpm possible.
BUT if the boat is going to be used for more than one person and loaded up with fishing gear, then a lightened flywheel will be a very bad idea as none of the stored energy in the flywheel

with the boat hgipson is using and taking out friends on his fishing boat, a lightened flywheel is definitely not the answer and will give less than desired all round performance .
if on the other hand he dumps all the fishing stuff, strips the boat of everything gets it mega lightweight and uses it just as an out and out racer then go ahead and lighten it up.

"Have had a few guys that use to race the 260's and 300's say they used Pennzoil full synthetic "

what is good in one type of engine is not always good in another. why do you think there are so many different types of oil ?
and don't even think about comparing your triple to a 260 or 300, they are totally different engines.

phil I went back and read carefully your explanation of lightened flywheels and what you thought about different oils and the difference between v-6's and inline 3cyl's I have ran both on fishing boats and raced both for a lot of years. had lightened flywheels on fishing rigs as well as racing motors also ran lightened flywheels on several different types of 2cyl outboards you are wrong On all statements you made. my knowledge comes from experience. I have never had any idle problems on fishing motors or racing motors period YOU ARE WRONG.

omcstratos
01-15-2014, 09:49 PM
PDT...

knows everything about flywheels, outboard oil, steel jack plates, but he doesn't know what kind of water pressure gauge he needs to get for his 60hp Johnson

Fastjeff57
01-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Zero to 30 psi, right?

Jeff

pdt
01-16-2014, 07:28 AM
well there ya go stratos
you don't understand about stored energy in a flywheel.
I can understand this being a problem for you, maybe you need to go look up some information about what flywheels actually do and how the energy is stored and why its
needed to have a flywheel.

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 08:10 AM
You are talking about the momentum that the flywheel carries when you let off. I was thinking what you meant was you could get a random extra bit of energy when running like using NO2. Your explanation is very vague earlier, hence why I didn't know what you were talking about in "it". You still ain't convinced me.

Fastjeff57
01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Here's a pretty good explanation of flywheel energy.

Scene: Irwindale Raceway in the early 70s. They had this (dopey) class for cars without front end sheet metal. Seriously; the motor and radiator was sitting out there totally visible.

Guy had a 56 Chevy with the usual small block. Reved the snorts out of it and dropped the hammer. The motor mounts must have been weak, for when the motor shifted violently, the distributor cap shattered on that firewall pocket the 55/56/57 Chevies had. (Remember that, you old guys!)

What happened next is vivid in my memory after all these years: The SILENT race car wheeled out of the hole and was hundreds of feet down the strip before it rolled to a stop--and solely due to flywheel inertia/ momentum.

Jeff

pdt
01-16-2014, 09:43 AM
well I cannot be held responsible for how you interpret things.
I have said many times that although we all talk the English language, there is a huge difference in USA v English when it comes to reading stuff on the net.
but think of any time the prop comes loose for example, the momentum carries on by the inertia of the flywheel type of thing.

A heavy flywheel also helps the crankshaft bearings.
there will no doubt be those who say this is also wrong, people can believe what they like, that is their prerogative.

you have plenty of internet access and im sure you also have many books on engines etc, just go look it up its not hard to find info on flywheels.
the whole subject of flywheels can be very interesting and very enlightening (pardon the pun).

you might get a few suprises on the way when you understand how they work.

89HST
01-16-2014, 09:54 AM

:rolleyes:

nhpoplin
01-16-2014, 11:09 AM
pdt your negativity turns helpful conversations into full on arguments over and over again.

As for this argument...

Im an electrical engineer...do you want to argue about electrical theory???

I doubt it.

So why (with your 38 mph boat you hope to get 45 out of) argue with people who's boats go almost twice as fast as yours???

I'm not trying to put your boat down or insult you I'm just trying to make an analogy for you so dont even bring up how your boat is heavy and not a race boat because thats not the point. The point is trying to make any boat faster than it originally was and the guys on here are extremely helpful and if you would quit arguing and make a few friends I'm sure they would love to discuss possible ways to even help you with your boat.

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 11:42 AM
pdt your negativity turns helpful conversations into full on arguments over and over again.

As for this argument...

Im an electrical engineer...do you want to argue about electrical theory???

I doubt it.

So why (with your 38 mph boat you hope to get 45 out of) argue with people who's boats go almost twice as fast as yours???

I'm not trying to put your boat down or insult you I'm just trying to make an analogy for you so dont even bring up how your boat is heavy and not a race boat because thats not the point. The point is trying to make any boat faster than it originally was and the guys on here are extremely helpful and if you would quit arguing and make a few friends I'm sure they would love to discuss possible ways to even help you with your boat.

Haha.... Convince Phil if you get a high pass filter for your boat, you will pick up some on the top end.

HankFrazier
01-16-2014, 03:47 PM
well I cannot be held responsible for how you interpret things.
I have said many times that although we all talk the English language, there is a huge difference in USA v English when it comes to reading stuff on the net.
but think of any time the prop comes loose for example, the momentum carries on by the inertia of the flywheel type of thing.

there will no doubt be those who say this is also wrong, people can believe what they like, that is their prerogative.

you have plenty of internet access and im sure you also have many books on engines etc, just go look it up its not hard to find info on flywheels.
the whole subject of flywheels can be very interesting and very enlightening (pardon the pun).

you might get a few suprises on the way when you understand how they work.

their are many things that you can do to your prop to stop cavitation and make it bite off the corners you are working on the wrong end common sense tells you that nothing moves by its self and a heavy fly wheel requires more horsepower to turn than a lite one.so in the racing world you remove all the horsepower robbing weight that you can weather its on the crank,prop,rods,pistons,flywheel,lightning the gears among other things as long as they are balanced.and a lighter balanced rotating assembly PROVIDES LONGER ENGINE LIFE PHYL who cares what a HEAVY FLYWHEEL DOES WHEN YOU LET OFF THE GAS you are usually not trying to accelerate when your foot is off the throttle by using the stored up energy in the flywheel.

MWhite
01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
MWhite your full of ****
you have tried every way possible to twist things
go back and look what you wrote.

your so full of **** you don't even know what you've wrote, you couldn't even answer simple stuff.
I bet you spend a fortune having to get someone to do everything for you.

you should be a politician, they are like you and avoid everything when the real questions pop up.

I had said what the flywheels were for, it was you who made yourself look a proper plum ha ha .

it still tickles me when I think of your answers to simple questions.

Phil, u not to bright between the ears at all,,, the lights on but theres no one home... u don't got the common sense god gave a piss ant, I have forgot more about this stuff than you'll ever learn, so don't be telling me im full of bull Sht. I think u better take a look at all the people that's commented on u and against u,your behavior, your comments and your BS theorys, on flywheels, oils,speeds, props, hell u name it,, and I think you'll find that it is U whos full of bull (S)hit,, anyone who looks at this thread and what u put on here knows u r period. u haven't been right about nothing, u can blow that smoke up someone else butt but u not here, and u not going to on me either. That dum explanation u gave is BS too, and my advice to u is don't give any,,cause u dont know your butt from a hole in the ground about what your saying are talking about.. U got a mud minner for a boat, that runs 28.4mph and going to tell people that's running twice your speed what dont work and what oils are no good,,, U need to shut that pie hole under your nose and start listening to the people for a change who has more experience and learned from experience,, u might learn something.

pdt
01-16-2014, 04:48 PM
nhpoplin
Have you any idea of what you have done ? and what you wrote ?
lets break it down into a couple of parts shall we ?

1st
" I'm just trying to make an analogy for you "

2nd
quote .
" pdt your negativity turns helpful conversations into full on arguments over and over again.
As for this argument...Im an electrical engineer...do you want to argue about electrical theory??? "

1st.....ok so you have an ology in ANAL, well done for owning up to that one..

2nd.......Do I want to argue with you ?, now that is a bit silly isn't it ? especially coming from an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER. it just would not be fair would it.

No I do not want to argue with you, and I think you deserve an explanation as to why I do not wish to argue with you, please don't take this as a personal insult, as we don't want any of that do we !!!

I suppose to the mobile home fraternity it would be very impressive to say you are an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER ,and in these days of social economic collapse happening everywhere it is better
than nothing.
But im afraid that to most normal working class men in a large normal city someone who says he is a ELECTRICAL ENGINEER brings back memories of a boy who didn't want to do mechanics
at school incase they got their finger nails dirty.
He was the type who did not want to mix with rough working class kids because they swear, go out with girls, drink beer, drive fast cars and fight a lot.
when he grows up, the fully qualified ELECTRICAL ENGINEER'S idea of a good time is after work he goes home, he does the washing up and house work, walks the Labrador then feeds the wife her supper,
she then reads a book with the cover of a mills and boom story ,but inside its fifty shades of grey, while him and a work friend /buddy goes into the loft to play around with the train set .
But wait, this is not just any old train set, oh no, its an ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS train set.
He has one that looks real, with a little building like the one in petticoat junction (memory's) and when he plays with this train set he wears a train drivers hat that he got at the train spotters
shop free with his authentic train drivers uniform..

I hope you understand why I have had to decline your offer of an argument about electrics or anything else, as I think it unfair for me a working class kid to even think about arguing with
someone who is so "special"

no offence intended of course.

MWhite
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
their are many things that you can do to your prop to stop cavitation and make it bite off the corners you are working on the wrong end common sense tells you that nothing moves by its self and a heavy fly wheel requires more horsepower to turn than a lite one.so in the racing world you remove all the horsepower robbing weight that you can weather its on the crank,prop,rods,pistons,flywheel,lightning the gears among other things as long as they are balanced.and a lighter balanced rotating assembly PROVIDES LONGER ENGINE LIFE PHYL who cares what a HEAVY FLYWHEEL DOES WHEN YOU LET OFF THE GAS you are usually not trying to accelerate when your foot is off the throttle by using the stored up energy in the flywheel.
The flywheels lose nothing going around bends are corners wether there heavy are been lighten up and doesn't effect the way the motor runs are idles,,and if its cavating then the props losing bite.

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 05:01 PM
nhpoplin

1st

2nd
quote .
" pdt your negativity turns helpful conversations into full on arguments over and over again.
As for this argument...Im an electrical engineer...do you want to argue about electrical theory??? "

2nd.......Do I want to argue with you ?, now that is a bit silly isn't it ? especially coming from an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER. it just would not be fair would it.

No I do not want to argue with you, and I think you deserve an explanation as to why I do not wish to argue with you, please don't take this as a personal insult, as we don't want any of that do we !!!

I suppose to the mobile home fraternity it would be very impressive to say you are an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER ,and in these days of social economic collapse happening everywhere it is better
than nothing.
But im afraid that to most normal working class men in a large normal city someone who says he is a ELECTRICAL ENGINEER brings back memories of a boy who didn't want to do mechanics
He was the type who did not want to mix with rough working class kids because they swear, go out with girls, drink beer, drive fast cars and fight a lot.
when he grows up, the fully qualified ELECTRICAL ENGINEER'S idea of a good time is after work he goes home, he does the washing up and house work, walks the Labrador then feeds the wife her supper,
she then reads a book with the cover of a mills and boom story ,but inside its fifty shades of grey, while him and a work friend /buddy goes into the loft to play around with the train set .
But wait, this is not just any old train set, oh no, its an ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS train set.
He has one that looks real, with a little building like the one in petticoat junction (memory's) and when he plays with this train set he wears a train drivers hat that he got at the train spotters

I hope you understand why I have had to decline your offer of an argument about electrics or anything else, as I think it unfair for me a working class kid to even think about arguing with

Wow Phil, a 2 year old is more mature than that.

MWhite
01-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Wow Phil, a 2 year old is more mature than that.

I agree.

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Phil...

Lets go back to the drawing board with a little simple physics lesson.

Take a 3 foot diameter solid disc and a 3 foot diameter ring. Both have the same weight of each other. You put them on a ramp. Which one will make it to the bottom first???......The disc will win.

Don't believe me? Go sit down on an office chair that can spin in a circle and hold your arms and legs in tight to your body and spin fast in the chair. Now extend your arms and legs... What happens???
Did you slow down?? Hmmm I wonder why.

Same goes with a flywheel. The more mass there is on the outer end of the flywheel, the more rotational inertia it has. Lessening the mass = less power it takes to turn the flywheel. I learned this all the way back in high school physics..... You should know this then, Phill.

Here's a link for ya if you don't believe me. I'm being pretty optimistic knowing that you will call every video a lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHQOctEvtTY

MWhite
01-16-2014, 05:27 PM
:rolleyes:

A heavy flywheel also helps the crankshaft bearing,, What a crock of sht. Gos to show phil don't have any knowledge on this topic, phil u need a ladder for that hole your digging for your self. ITS GETTING DEEP.

pdt
01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Mwhite
please calm down a bit, your getting all excited and making mistakes again... have another beer or get omcstratos to give you a massage with some scented oils or hog fat or whatever you prefer.
the way your getting so excited you'll end up having an heart attack. it wont be fun without you here making me look so good.

Hank you have said your bit correctly to a point.
you know exactly how to set a boat up as an all out fast raceboat, yes I have to say that is what you do very well.
but the engine in question is not repeat not being fitted to a lightweight raceboat or used for just drag racing or oval racing, its going on an everyday fishing runabout used for
hunting and the likes and often with atleast 2 men on board it..
this boat will need a engine that will idle and pull a heavy load at slow speeds as well as going faster than average for its original hp size.
this engine is NOT a special with lightened crank,special lightweight rods and pistons, and its nothing special on the gearbox neither.
a full on raceboat is an entirely different set up as you know very well.
you would not expect your best race engine to perform on a heavy cruiser with your race prop fitted would you ?

explain to me why omc and all other makes fitted heavy flywheels to their fishing motors, not the race engines, the fishing motors, ?
did they do their very best to make these engines perform so badly, what a strange and very costly agenda.

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
A heavy flywheel also helps the crankshaft bearing,, What a crock of sht. Gos to show phil don't have any knowledge on this topic, phil u need a ladder for that hole your digging for your self. ITS GETTING DEEP.

You struck any oil down there yet phil?

pdt
01-16-2014, 06:10 PM
omc stratos
go look at your video you put on again.
it shows I am right you dope. did you notice the disc still spinning without any power running to it , and what does the man say causes this ?
here is a simple way you might understand
http://www.ehow.com/list_6149558_functions-engine-flywheel_.html

I think a good few of you need to learn a hell of a lot more about engineering.

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 06:32 PM
omc stratos
go look at your video you put on again.
it shows I am right you dope. did you notice the disc still spinning without any power running to it , and what does the man say causes this ?

Phil what don't you understand about outboard applications. Do you want to let off the throttle at full speed and have the boat to continue providing thrust for another 150 yards into the river bank where you crash and die?

Also, do you want to be slower in a drag race and lose because you are waiting on getting your flywheel up to speed?

pdt
01-16-2014, 06:48 PM
here is a piece I found on this very site tonight.
it was posted by zul8tr.i think page 3 of " what 2 stroke oil are you all running

this is the paragraph at the end of a particular post, I think its page 3 .. its not by me but a few of you might find it interesting, its about more oil producing more power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-mix ratios and power production

I have run Dyno tests on this subject. We used a Dynojet dynamometer, and used a fresh, broken in top-end for each test. We used specially calibrated jets to ensure the fuel flow was identical with each different ratio, and warmed the engine at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before each run. Our tests were performed in the rpm range of 2500 to 9000 rpm, with the power peak of our test bike (a modifed '86 YZ 250, mine) occuring at 8750 rpm. We tested at 76 degrees F, at 65% relative humidity. We started at 10:1, and went to 100:1. Our results showed that a two-stroke engine makes its best power at 18:1. Any more oil than that, and the engine ran poorly, because we didn't have any jets rich enough to compensate for that much oil in the fuel, and the burn-characteristics of the fuel with that much oil tended to be poor. The power loss from 18:1 to 32:1 was approximately 2 percent. The loss from 18:1 to 50:1 was nearly 9 percent. On a modern 250, that can be as much as 4 horsepower. The loss from 18:1 to 100:1 was nearly 18 percent. The reason for the difference in output is simple. More oil provides a better seal between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Now, I realize that 18:1 is impractical unless you ride your engine all-out, keeping it pinned at all times. But running reasonable ratios no less than 32:1 will produce more power, and give your engine better protection, thus making it perform better for longer.

As a side note, I no longer run 26:1, I now run 32:1. I'm not a young man any more, and I just can't push as hard as I used to, so I don't need as much oil now. 32:1 is enough oil to do what is needed for me now, since I'm getting slow...

.this is on this site and was talked about in great detail, by yellow jacket, zul8tr and many others .
like I say not anything by me so as youl see its not a joke about more oil producing more power,

omcstratos
01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
For once you agree with someone on here. Removing a pound here and there adds up. But why would you want to put a heavy flywheel on the motor and weigh it back down? You may be an engineer, but I can find a lot of your questions on here that give me reason to think you still aren't a know it all.

And you say you know everything about oil, but you make is sound like you learned it all from an oil thread on here recently. You keep contradicting yourself.

here is a piece I found on this very site tonight.
it was posted by zul8tr.i think page 3 of " what 2 stroke oil are you all running

this is the paragraph at the end of a particular post, I think its page 3 .. its not by me but a few of you might find it interesting, its about more oil producing more power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-mix ratios and power production

I have run Dyno tests on this subject. We used a Dynojet dynamometer, and used a fresh, broken in top-end for each test. We used specially calibrated jets to ensure the fuel flow was identical with each different ratio, and warmed the engine at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before each run. Our tests were performed in the rpm range of 2500 to 9000 rpm, with the power peak of our test bike (a modifed '86 YZ 250, mine) occuring at 8750 rpm. We tested at 76 degrees F, at 65% relative humidity. We started at 10:1, and went to 100:1. Our results showed that a two-stroke engine makes its best power at 18:1. Any more oil than that, and the engine ran poorly, because we didn't have any jets rich enough to compensate for that much oil in the fuel, and the burn-characteristics of the fuel with that much oil tended to be poor. The power loss from 18:1 to 32:1 was approximately 2 percent. The loss from 18:1 to 50:1 was nearly 9 percent. On a modern 250, that can be as much as 4 horsepower. The loss from 18:1 to 100:1 was nearly 18 percent. The reason for the difference in output is simple. More oil provides a better seal between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Now, I realize that 18:1 is impractical unless you ride your engine all-out, keeping it pinned at all times. But running reasonable ratios no less than 32:1 will produce more power, and give your engine better protection, thus making it perform better for longer.

As a side note, I no longer run 26:1, I now run 32:1. I'm not a young man any more, and I just can't push as hard as I used to, so I don't need as much oil now. 32:1 is enough oil to do what is needed for me now, since I'm getting slow...

.this is on this site and was talked about in great detail, by yellow jacket, zul8tr and many others .
like I say not anything by me so as youl see its not a joke about more oil producing more power,

I think I win that one.

pdt
01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
a few more interesting articles

and no I did not write these, they are on the web for anyone to read. but they are very relevant to this topic .

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/documents/oilpremix6.pdf

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm

hope your reading these omcstratos and the sbg.

MWhite
01-16-2014, 07:37 PM
I do not know where you get your information, but everything you have said about flywheels and 2stroke oils, especially concerning Mercs is totally false!!!!! Bearing saving, energy, idling, etc (you ever seen a 2.5EFI Merc?)..............none of those are even close to being the truth..............

and yes, I do have an idea of what I am talking about, as I have 22yrs of certified Mercury experience and racing experience.....still am and still do....

I have a 50hp with a stock powerhead that will easily run 80+ MPH.....

heavy flywheels are alot cheaper (that being the key item!) and easier to make than an aluminum lightweight one.....

mercguy, we been trying to get this across to him for a month,, but hes to stubborn to believe anything that anyone tells him. he don't comprehend things cause he reads what comes out of books are hearsay.

HankFrazier
01-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Mwhite
please calm down a bit, your getting all excited and making mistakes again... have another beer or get omcstratos to give you a massage with some scented oils or hog fat or whatever you prefer.
the way your getting so excited you'll end up having an heart attack. it wont be fun without you here making me look so good.

Hank you have said your bit correctly to a point.
you know exactly how to set a boat up as an all out fast raceboat, yes I have to say that is what you do very well.
but the engine in question is not repeat not being fitted to a lightweight raceboat or used for just drag racing or oval racing, its going on an everyday fishing runabout used for
hunting and the likes and often with atleast 2 men on board it..
this boat will need a engine that will idle and pull a heavy load at slow speeds as well as going faster than average for its original hp size.
this engine is NOT a special with lightened crank,special lightweight rods and pistons, and its nothing special on the gearbox neither.
a full on raceboat is an entirely different set up as you know very well.
you would not expect your best race engine to perform on a heavy cruiser with your race prop fitted would you ?

explain to me why omc and all other makes fitted heavy flywheels to their fishing motors, not the race engines, the fishing motors, ?
did they do their very best to make these engines perform so badly, what a strange and very costly agenda.
This is where I'm at with this whole deal pdt you keep trying to get to 45mph with your boat and motor doing it your way and I will keep on trying to go 90mph with mine doing it my way and next year at this same time give me a pm and we will see who has gained the most speed.this thread has gotten real old and is not helpful to anybody.

MWhite
01-16-2014, 08:30 PM
They dyno a modified 1986 250 dirt bike not a outboard motor, fuel oil ratio may vary from outboard motor.

nhpoplin
01-17-2014, 05:47 AM
nhpoplin

1st

2nd
quote .

than nothing.

Hahaha thats actually pretty funny pdt...I was trying to reason with you but since you want to get all butt hurt...its also pretty funny how the only part of my post you didnt quote was about how "fast" your boat is. This is a boat racing forum isnt it. I dont blame you though if my numbers looked like that i'd prolly get defensive too. I think your boat would make a great bream bed. Boo hoo hoo its not a race boat. How bout this i got an idea of how to make your boat go 45 and prolly the only way itll ever get there on the water. I got a 2072 Bowfishing rig/swamp barge at the house that will run 51. With 7 people in it itll still run 48. Im willing to bet I can put your pride and joy inside of it and still run 45. By the way its about as far from a race boat as possible but you dont hear me crying.

ima75man
01-17-2014, 06:13 AM
enuff said., we got a race coming up no time to fool with what if's. out

HankFrazier
01-17-2014, 07:38 AM
enuff said., we got a race coming up no time to fool with what if's. out
thats right 75 we going this weekend to test gona try to outrun magic mike with my new rig.we'l try to make some videos if i lose nobody will ever see them I AM MOVING BACK TO SMACK TALK .

pdt
01-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Ok now lets get one thing perfectly straight for the thicko,s who keep on about my dory...
MY BOAT IS NOT A RACE BOAT,
IT NEVER WAS, AND NEVER WILL BE.

I have never said it was .

there is people keep bringing up my slow boat, well of course its slow, I have said a hundred times it will never be a race boat.
you could stick a 200hp on the back of it and probably not go much quicker, its about as aerodynamic as a shed, and as hydrodynamic as a housebrick...maximum design top speed 30mph.
so yep its a slow boat....but for what it is, its doing ok.
ive got idiots on here telling me a while back it could do high 50's with this engine ha ha ha impossible unless your talking kilometres per hour, its a shed.
so yes I do know very well that I don't have a race boat with this Orkney dory.

But what has my boat not going stella miles per hour got to do with this topic ? absolutely nothing,
and I never bought it up, that was dragged in by those who cannot understand mechanics and physics or anything to do with enertia and motion.it was just another thing to
side-track away from the topic in hand.
it seems to me that in the area of the sore bum river gang, if it has a red sticker its obviously gonna go faster, that is about the mentality I am seeing on here.
NOT one person from the Srgsore bum river gang can possibly concede as to what a heavy flywheel does, according to those on the sore bum river heavy flywheels are just
purely put on by manufacturers for rope starting ....... nothing at all to do with idle, slow running or helping to keep down vibrations etc.
the se people know more than any major engine producer and all of their designers put together, they can carve out a tree with a pen knife and beat the best boats in the world, and they are just so perfect.
infact they are so perfect that None of these people could ever suffer with piles, as god has made them all perfect arseholes.

now as for pontoon boats !!!! very nice ,
I take it you do know you only have a raft and not a real boat, but again its what you like. I wouldn't mind one myself.

nhpoplin
01-17-2014, 11:14 AM
now as for pontoon boats !!!! very nice ,
I take it you do know you only have a raft and not a real boat, but again its what you like. I wouldn't mind one myself.

I might have missed something but who said anything about a pontoon boat? I have a flat bottom 20ft long 72 in wide aluminum silver dollar boat. Literally shaped like a brick. Just a rectangle with a flat bottom. Don't know how to put a picture on here but its on my profile

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-17-2014, 02:29 PM
A message for all the "smack boat" guys and those that drag and race the OMC and Merc 3 cyl motors who have posted here where the village idiot PDT/Philinjack lurks and posts:

It should be obvious to all, and I am sure it is, that this person has no interest in having his questions answered, by the way he then insults everyone who mistakenly thinks he is serious with these questions and tries to help him and then gets ridiculed, and worse in return. In my opinion, HE IS A TROLL, and has no real interest in the subjects discussed on this board, but merely likes to irritate those who are interested in the technical aspects of motors and consequently think he is also. If you all read the threads he has been part of (both in this identity and Philinjack) and also the ones he has started, all he really wants to do is argue and pull your chains, hoping to get a response that will then allow him to continue to carry on with his sick way of getting himself off at others expense.

IF HE REALLY WAS INTERESTED IN THE SUBJECT MATTER ON THIS BOARD, HE WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN THE INSULTING ROUTE HE DOES WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO HELP HIM. END OF STORY. Really curious and intelligence folks (and those trying to help same) do not act like this.

The really simple way (simple things for simple Limey's) is from now on to ignore any thread he is involved in, start a new one when he tries to insult your answers to others, and just make it more of a problem for him than he is causing for those who truly try to help others on this site.

For him, ignoring the ignorant is the best answer, because evidently he is not bothered by insults to his intelligence, of which it is obvious he has little.

The really surprising thing is he would make it so obvious he knows nothing by continuing to post here and display his ignorance for all to see. OR, as this site is intended to try to help others, perhaps a complaint about his manners to a moderator or site owner would put a stop to it. Either way we need to stop encouraging him/answering his posts as it only frustrates those with good intentions and does not contribute to the helpfulness purpose of this site. Or possibly give him all the wrong answers so his dory and motor pay the consequences??

MWhite
01-17-2014, 03:43 PM
I might have missed something but who said anything about a pontoon boat? I have a flat bottom 20ft long 72 in wide aluminum silver dollar boat. Literally shaped like a brick. Just a rectangle with a flat bottom. Don't know how to put a picture on here but its on my profileWell, haha,, u got to look at who your dealing with too,(pdt), this bum isnt dealing with a full deck, hes got some screws loose. That's for sure.

MWhite
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
.[/QUOTE]

A message for all the "smack boat" guys and those that drag and race the OMC and Merc 3 cyl motors who have posted here where the village idiot PDT/Philinjack lurks and posts:

It should be obvious to all, and I am sure it is, that this person has no interest in having his questions answered, by the way he then insults everyone who mistakenly thinks he is serious with these questions and tries to help him and then gets ridiculed, and worse in return. In my opinion, HE IS A TROLL, and has no real interest in the subjects discussed on this board, but merely likes to irritate those who are interested in the technical aspects of motors and consequently think he is also. If you all read the threads he has been part of (both in this identity and Philinjack) and also the ones he has started, all he really wants to do is argue and pull your chains, hoping to get a response that will then allow him to continue to carry on with his sick way of getting himself off at others expense.

IF HE REALLY WAS INTERESTED IN THE SUBJECT MATTER ON THIS BOARD, HE WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN THE INSULTING ROUTE HE DOES WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO HELP HIM. END OF STORY. Really curious and intelligence folks (and those trying to help same) do not act like this.

The really simple way (simple things for simple Limey's) is from now on to ignore any thread he is involved in, start a new one when he tries to insult your answers to others, and just make it more of a problem for him than he is causing for those who truly try to help others on this site.

For him, ignoring the ignorant is the best answer, because evidently he is not bothered by insults to his intelligence, of which it is obvious he has little.

The really surprising thing is he would make it so obvious he knows nothing by continuing to post here and display his ignorance for all to see. OR, as this site is intended to try to help others, perhaps a complaint about his manners to a moderator or site owner would put a stop to it. Either way we need to stop encouraging him/answering his posts as it only frustrates those with good intentions and does not contribute to the helpfulness purpose of this site. Or possibly give him all the wrong answers so his dory and motor pay the consequences??

Well said mr. Bill u r so very right. There isn't no one over here that falls for his bull Sht.

HGipson
01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Damn I got off here for a few weeks and our resident troll done went and destroyed my thread!! Do us all a favor PDT... You don't have any info to put into this or any topic, your boat is a piece of $hit, and you're from England, none of which any of us want to have anything to do with. These SRG guys and a few others on here have forgotten more than either of us will ever know. I'm actually trying to gain knowledge and you're like arguing with a politician always coming back with more bull$hit. So please let the good ole boys help me and other inquiring knowledge and constructive criticism without hearing your retarded remarks. That stored momentum of the centrifugal force stored in the flywheel you are referring to had to get that energy from the engines power, thus that much less power that could have been delivered as forward motion via the propellor. The one and only thing that the heavier flywheel would help would be starting /kickback forward inertia while pull starting to avoid losing a finger or three. Less weight rotating mass = longer engine life, faster revving, and less stress friction on the roller bearing assembly. Common sense should tell you that without even thinking. Oh well maybe one day people will quit asking dumb questions and then arguing with an expert in the field once they are lured into trying to help you.

Fast Fred
01-20-2014, 06:43 AM
someone has to be last, why some go out of there way to be " that guy" , ????? any who, jam boat= drive around.